[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asked out this girl. She's interested, but told me upfront

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Asked out this girl. She's interested, but told me upfront that she's an alcoholic and is looking for someone who's okay with not drinking around her.

Personally, it's no skin off my ass to not drink in someone's presence so long as I can still do it elsewhere, but I have no idea what I'd really be getting into dating a recovered/recovering alcoholic. I have zero experience with this and figure that as much as I don't care what someone has done in the past so long as it remains in the past, alcoholism is one of those things someone just constantly lives with and has to fight everyday. No idea what kind of relationship issues arise if that's the case.
>>
>>18150685
Anyone?
>>
>>18150685
if drinking is a big deal to you you probably shouldn't be with her, for her sake if not for yours. if it's not really a big thing (ie like you do not drink as an event, you just have a drink with dinner or on a special occasion). if you like to get hammered it's not going to work, or she will end up drinking
>>
>>18151290
Nah, I'm 30. Well past the age of drinking being a whole thing. I may have a nightcap a few nights or week or have a drink when out with friends, but that's it.

Still, I have an ex who was an alcoholic who refused to acknowledge her drinking was a problem which ultimately was the downfall of the relationship. Someone who identifies as an alcoholic and actually actively avoids drinking is new territory for me.
>>
>>18150685
Weak minded, no self control, gives in to peer pressure

I don't fuck with it
>>
>>18152071
I don't think that's really how addiction works, but I can understand it being something you'd just rather not tangle with.
>>
>>18150685
Just don't senpai. Alcoholism never really goes away.
>>
Having a relationship while being a recovering alcholic is one of the hardest things there is. Breaking free of addiction means learning to take care of yourself BEFORE you can even think about having a relationship with another person. That's why recovering addicts get baby steps when it comes to being responsible for others outside themselves...like take care of this plant, if you can keep it alive for a period of time....get a pet....if you can keep it alive for a period of time get a....and so on and so on.

Is she far enough into her recovery to be in a relationship with you?
>>
>>18151318
This is a bit of a slippery-slope. The big question is whether she will relapse at some point down the road. I've known a couple people that have gotten into relationships with recovering alcoholics. Usually everything was great until some form of relapse. Then it went into the same spin of "I'm smarter now, I know how to control it" bullshit. Relationship usually burns up. The big thing that tended to lead to this is the recovered alcoholic slowly integrating into party type situations, insisting they were alright and the drinks there weren't tempting them. Eventually they broke. So if you plan on going into it, then stick to the "No alcohol around her, ever" clause, because alcohol literally looks like fresh water to someone dying of dehydration.
>>
>>18152754
>>18152770
>>18152775
I hear you guys. It definitely sounds risky to say the least. I like to give people a chance and not judge prematurely, but this is sounding like a situation where how bad it can potentially get it just not worth the chance.

Shame. She seems cool and the tits are fucking epic.
>>
>Alcoholism is one of those things someone just constantly lives with and has to fight everyday

It's not quite like it is in the films. If it has been a few years, then she should be perfectly comfortable functioning in the real world without a mind-numbing craving for alcohol.
>>
>>18150685

I'm an alcoholic, who is a couple of weeks sober... but even I don't plan on it being permanently.

Frankly, most people relapse. Everyone has their reasons that they drink - to me, the world is a better place with a beer in my hand, and everything is more fun. It takes a constant, nagging reassurance to myself to not drink. They say men think about sex every 30 seconds? I think about booze every 30 seconds.

I have the willpower to be around booze and not pick up the bottle, but some may not.

I wouldn't look at this as a negative in your case, just something you need to be prepared for. I think a lot of this has to do with how long she's been sober, and how she handles it.

I'd go on a few dates with her and see.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.