[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drove through a gas station parking lot, left because power was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (23KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
23KB, 400x267px
I live in Las Vegas, and on my way home from work tonight, I drove into a gas station to fill up, but a crash down the street knocked out power to the entire intersection, including the light and the gas station. I was tired from a long shift and didn't even think about it, so I just left out of the next entrance to get on my way. What do you know, there was a motorcycle cop hiding beside the building waiting for people to jump the light, and he got me. I told him the scenario but of course it looks bad, I'm sure others had done the same that night, so he still cited me and sent me on my way.

I've never so much as been pulled over before in my 7 years of driving, so this is my first ticket. Will this put points on my license? How serious of an offense is it? Any idea what the cost might be, and should I fight it? I don't really want to pay a bunch of money just because I didn't realize the power was out at the station before pulling in.

Thank you in advance. For reference, the citation type is: 484B.307.7 0515 NOC 53761 It also has a code that says "10.02.010" which I looked up and it's talking about misdemeanors. Am I getting a misdemeanor for this? I would've been fucking cuffed if that were the case, wouldn't I?
>>
Can you prove the gas station was closed? Tada! Fight it
>>
>>18148822
Take it to court.
>>
Just hire a lawyer to handle it for you, no points, no hassle, the cops never show so the citation always gets dropped and you pay $100 for it to magically disappear
>>
Depends. Based on what you said, you actually were in the wrong since you did jump the light.

Now, do you want to take it to court and fight it? That's up to you. There's a chance the cop won't show up and you'll automatically win, but if the cop shows up and you lose, you'll not only pay the citation but also the court costs. So it's risk vs reward.

And no, it's not that serious of an offense. Literally thousands of people get traffic violations every day. Worse thing that will happen is your car insurance rate will go up.
>>
>>18148822
In Nevada there is no infraction level of offenses. Everything is a misdemeanor which means you can be hauled in front of a judge or sent to jail automatically if the cop feels like it.

What he handed you is a notice to appear. In most cases it isn't worth the trouble to go to court and contest the charges unless you are already in a situation where you might lose your license.

If you just rolled through the light without stopping that isn't an excuse considering you should have treated it as a four way. I would just chock it up and pay whatever the Court Clerks office says it is.
>>
>>18148962
I can get an outage report from the gas station and there are news articles about the outages and where they occurred.

>>18149101
What's the advantage of hiring a lawyer vs. just going there myself?

>>18149114
I drove into a parking lot, saw the station was closed, and decided to go out of the exit. What should I have done, taken a U-turn and gone out the same entrance I came in? That seems pointless and over the top. I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm legitimately not sure how else I should've handled that.

>>18149122
That's worrisome. So I will have an actual misdemeanor on my record? I'm used to California law. I would like to just pay it off if the fine isn't too high, but my concern is definitely that I don't want a misdemeanor charge showing up on my record. I've never so much as littered.

Other than that, I didn't roll through the stop or even go through the intersection. There was a gas station next to it. I needed gas and I decided to go in, when I saw that the lights to that station were very dim, and the ones inside the store were off, I left. That's when he busted me.
>>
go to court. the judge might let you off. either way its not a big deal.
>>
>>18149101
>Just hire a lawyer to handle it for you, no points, no hassle, the cops never show so the citation always gets dropped and you pay $100 for it to magically disappear
Myth. Sorry. Cops generally get paid overtime to show up and it's part of their job. Sometimes they don't, but not the majority of the time, which doesn't stop people from continually repeating this.
>>
>>18149200
>I can get an outage report from the gas station and there are news articles about the outages and where they occurred.

This is what the law says.

NRS484B.300Obedience to devices for control of traffic; placement of devices; additional penalty for violation committed in work zone.

1.It is unlawful for any driver to disobey the instructions of any official traffic-control device placed in accordance with the provisions of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS, unless at the time otherwise directed by a police officer.

2.No provision of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS for which such devices are required may be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation the device is not in proper position and sufficiently legible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. Whenever a particular provision of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS does not state that such devices are required, the provision is effective even though no devices are erected or in place.

3.Whenever devices are placed in position approximately conforming to the requirements of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS, such devices are presumed to have been so placed by the official act or direction of a public authority, unless the contrary is established by competent evidence.

4.Any device placed pursuant to the provisions of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS and purporting to conform to the lawful requirements pertaining to such devices is presumed to comply with the requirements of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS unless the contrary is established by competent evidence.

5.A person who violates any provision of subsection 1 may be subject to the additional penalty set forth in NRS 484B.130..

What you did was basically go around the stoplight, even though your intention was otherwise. Not a whole lot of leeway.

1/?
>>
>>18149223
Disobeying is not the same as avoiding, though. Those are two very different offenses, despite them being so close together.
>>
>>18149244
They charged him with failure to obey a traffic signal though. I don't think Nevada differentiates between the two. Remember, this is a state where we elect every single judge and haven't conceptualized infractions.

I wonder if you even need mens rea for this law.
>>
>>18149259
>>18149259
Hey, OP here, it actually does show on my ticket that it's "Driving through PRIV/PUB PROP to avoid red signal." Even so, I think I'm going to hand the case off to a traffic lawyer because I'm not getting a fucking misdemeanor for something so goddamn ridiculous. It's like if I tripped and spilt water on someone and got charged with battery. If someone was hurt or a crash occurred as a result of said "recklessness" I could see them taking it this seriously, but as it stands, this is a case of a bored cop trying to teach passers by a lesson.
>>
>>18149266
For the record, this is what I'd do, OP. To me it wouldn't be about the fine or the insurance or even the misdemeanor (which sounds so crazy I almost have trouble believing it, but I'm not a lawyer and I've never been to Nevada, so I shouldn't comment). It's about the principle of the thing.

It's a bullshit ticket. I'd gladly pay a lawyer 5x the amount I'd spend just paying the ticket to not have to pay the state one fucking cent for some bullshit like that.
>>
>>18149318
I didn't believe it either at first, but I searched and searched and it looks like Nevada classes everything as misdemeanors, felonies, or gross felonies. I have been here less than a year and have never heard of a state not having infraction level violations, but, I can't do fuck all about that.

I appreciate the input, this has definitely motivated me to go forward. I am a nursing student and don't want to have a bullshit charge on my record for when I apply for licensing, if it even shows up at all.

I'm going to call a traffic lawyer office in the morning and get some consultation, but I cannot imagine them not being able to work this down. Thank you.
>>
>>18149318
Checkmate, the state will then tax the lawyer about 30 percent of that amount

Let's say ticket is $100

Lawyer $500

Tax income now $150

House always wins.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.