[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys; I'm freaking out right now and need some advice.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0025.jpg (220KB, 590x418px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0025.jpg
220KB, 590x418px
Hey guys; I'm freaking out right now and need some advice.
Is college worth it?
I'm in my third semester for computer science and I haven't learned anything that I haven't already learned in high school. Not to mention most of my classes have nothing to do with my major.
All these stupid general education courses and the one class I'm in for programming is child's play, I actually feel like I'm losing more then gaining anything from college. My pockets are empty and I am getting nothing to show for it.
>>
Is this your first year of college?
>>
>>18146022
No third semester, I'm basically halfway through sophomore year
>>
>>18146018
shouldn't you do some research if the university is a joke or not before you apply and pay for it ?
90% of the CS degrees in the USA are worthless
>>
Degrees are a formality now.
They are necessary for those jobs at Google and IBM in your case.
If you feel that strongly about it, consider learning more certifications in your free time, or a double major.
>>
>>18146037

This.
>>
>>18146018

the interesting stuff (compilers, AI, graphics programming) come in the 3rd and 4th years. not everyone has CS exposure in HS so there is a catchup in the first 2 years. yes they are easy as shit if you have done it before. the last 2 years will kick your ass if you dont prepare.
>>
>>18146041
that stuff comes somewhere in the 2-4 _SEMESTER_ not year
>>
>>18146018
thinks you go to college to learn things
u need that there shiny piece of paper to say how smart and qualified you are son
>>
>>18146018
6 or 7 years from now, when you have a job, the guys at your level who get the promotions will not be the most skilled programmers, but the people the bosses feel most comfortable around, the ones who know more than just CS, who can carry on a conversation about art or politics or morality - in short, the ones who learned something in those gen ed courses.
>>
>>18146018
>Is college worth it?
only for stem
my uncle has his own buisness wich helps implement software and offers it support of said software to other buisness
couple years ago he was offered a great posittion on this factory managing all production since they had him flown there 6 times in a year but they ended up hiring somebody else since my uncle never got his degree
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.