[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, I'll be done with university in couple of months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1464622580960.jpg (875KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464622580960.jpg
875KB, 1024x1024px
Hey /adv/,

I'll be done with university in couple of months and I need some advice and ideas about what to do next and particularly about how to get money.

I need to get some kind of income ideally within a few months of me leaving and I'll need to find a place to rent (which will take a huge chunk of my money) because I can't go back home. My degree is a BA and wont be too useful because I've left it way too late to apply for graduate schemes or internships (probably) and I have never had a formal job in my life which wont look good on my CV.

I'd very much prefer to leave this country (the UK) and move to somewhere in mainland Europe for a year or so which, as a result of the fact that I only speak English, obviously makes things more difficult. In the medium term, all I want is to have a small apartment to be comfy in and a fast internet connection to shitpost comfortably with.

Halp.
>>
>>18143555
>I can't go back home
Why?

Moving countries is expensive. Dont be stupid, use your parents and get job first. Also some of my friends from uni shared a flat together while working to keep the rent low after they finished uni.

>uk
Britain is currently kinda sinking ship with many refugees, weak currency and very UNSTABLE immigrant politics. You are better off staying where you are.
>>
>>18143576
>Why?
House is full and moving back home would cause too many arguments. My mother is ill anyway and I really can't put more strain on her. They're happy to help me out financially to begin with but I do need to start becoming independent of them.

>Britain is currently kinda sinking ship with many refugees, weak currency and very UNSTABLE immigrant politics
That's partly why I want to leave. I also just find it generally pretty depressing here and would like to spend a year or so almost anywhere else. Ultimately, I'll have to do whatever ends up being most feasible but I'd like to keep my preferences in mind if I can.
>>
>>18143576
Also, on the subject of price: will moving to somewhere in mainland Europe be that much more expensive? If I get a furnished apartment then all I'll need is a suitcase filled with basic stuff and a plane ticket, right? Employment will be the main deciding factor and I have no idea at all what opportunities are out there.
>>
>>18143595
Meh i misread the part about from/to uk.
Since you are native uk, you are still better than average european guy.

If your family can boost your money, then you are free to do whatever you want since we are in 21st century.

But the language barrier is real. It doesnt matter that on internet everybody speaks english. France, Deutschland, poor slav countries whatever if you dont talk the native language you have BIG problem to get job there.

Also once you are in foreign country you are alone and on your own. You have to keep paying medical insurance, getting job permit is also pain (not every EU country is equal) and the list goes on.

If you want to feel like big guy, try getting job in some other town than you are currently in. It is almost same as moving countries, just much more simple and safe.

>>18143605
As the price go, google purchase power and quality of life index and see for yourself how worse the rest of europe is. Generaly the closer to the russia the more you can buy with your £.

So yea go make trip around europe, but best life is already waiting in your country.
>>
>>18143623
>but best life is already waiting in your country.
Well shit.. I hope not.

I have thought about staying here and moving somewhere random and while I really don't want to have to live here permanently, I guess it could work out while I get some independence. I have absolutely no idea how to actually get a job though or what kind of jobs are even out there for someone like me. Do I start at bar/restaurant work because I've never had a job before or am I likely to be able to get something better because of my (slightly shit) degree? I have no idea where to even start.
>>
>>18143641
You start by making CV and send it to all jobs you find on the internet. Google is your help.

And remember that you dont have to be stressed since there is no rent to pay so you dont have to take first shit job you find. The good start is to get job related to field with your (no education level is shit) degree.
>>
>>18143650
Ah, I should have mentioned that I will have to pay rent regardless because all my family left the UK long ago and I came back for uni. Part of the reason why I considered mainland Europe is because while I am English, I have literally no ties in this country in terms of friends or family. I have enough money to survive for a few months (depending on where I end up of course) but I will have to get a job as soon as I can. I'm lucky that there's no chance that my parents will just abandon me but I still can't face the idea of continuing to leech off them.

I guess I haven't really looked at the job options here in the UK so I'll definitely do some research. I'm mainly worried that the fact that I've never had a job before will just result in an automatic rejection of my CV. I really can't think of much to put on it.
>>
>>18143660
Can I ask you something. Why did you go to college if you were going to get a meme degree and then not try to apply for jobs?
>>
>>18143668
Because I'm lazy, unambitious and a moron. Don't get me wrong, I've been given a free pass for everything up until now and I've shamefully wasted it entirely of my own volition. That can't continue forever though so I'm determined to do whatever I can to get a small apartment and whatever job I can get my hands on that will pay the bills so I can start living more independently.
>>
>>18143673
Yes, but why get the degree? You would have more net income without it. The crippling debt is going to last for years. Who told you getting a degree was a good idea?
>>
>>18143696
I got it because I panicked and it was a convenient way to waste 3 years. I kidded myself into thinking that I'd have some kind of plan one I had finished. I like my subject and will probably use it in whatever work I end up doing but it's hardly one that will guarantee me a job, especially considering that I have no experience with anything else. Thankfully, I have no debt whatsoever.
>>
Why not just move to Japan as an English teacher then bootstrap into a better career like software engineering?

I guarantee it'll be more fun than anywhere in Europe.
>>
>>18143704
I have considered this and if nothing works out it something that I'll have a crack at. English teaching is increasingly competitive however so I will need some time to turn my CV from garbage to acceptable. Applications for the JET program for example end in November and I will consider applying if I can get my CV up to scratch and if nothing better presents itself.
>>
>>18143716
I can't imagine English teaching being that competitive

You should be fine
>>
>>18143729
JET in particular can be because it's a government program, pays better than most and organises apartments and so on but the sheer number of applications it gets is offset by the large number of applicants that are autistic weebs. Still, it's far from guaranteed and I've heard that it can be really shit if you don't get accepted into somewhere decent.
>>
>>18143555
One thing about the UK that is different from, say, the USA is that potential employers really don't care what subject you studied, as long as you made it through university. So go to your uni's careers office, select some interesting-looking fields, and start applying.
>>
>>18144115
>as long as you made it through university
Well that's good motivation to try harder in these last few months then. I didn't know about that.

I'll see what the careers office has to say then once I'm a little less busy with work. It's pretty stupid of me to have not considered doing so before.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.