[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to computer science degrees being a good STEM degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1363042046844.jpg (2MB, 2630x1860px) Image search: [Google]
1363042046844.jpg
2MB, 2630x1860px
What happened to computer science degrees being a good STEM degree to get?

Is the meme around here true that CS degrees are shit now? I'm 2nd year in and feel the challenge is rewarding but I graduate is it going to be shit?

Should I jump ship into another STEM field maybe physics or engineering?
>>
CS is still fine, but the trick is that SW Engineering is probably closer to what you really want.

Colleges just didn't use to have SWE, or at least not distinct from CS.
>>
Just like every other STEM degree, CS is becoming more and more saturated. People are being pushed towards CS and other STEM fields because they're essentially seen as get-rich-quick degrees. It's just happening faster with CS than other fields because it's 'easier'.
>>
CS is still probably the easiest degree that you can make 60k out of college with

Its just harder to get a software job now then it was 10 years ago due to saturation of market

Do it if you want, its pretty boring though

Source: software dev, 2011 college grad
>>
File: 1342044414653.jpg (115KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1342044414653.jpg
115KB, 1000x800px
>>18143206
When it's boring can I just shitpost on 4chin at work?
>>
>>18143231
Do you enjoy figuring out how to unfuck build processes?

Do you enjoy swapping API calls because of deprecation because (insert nonsense business reason)?

Do you enjoy staring at obscure VM arguments and then asking your coworker for help?

If you dislike programming but love IT work with a little scripting, get a CS degree and be a software dev. If you genuinely love programming go do something else and program for fun
>>
>>18142986
STEM majors are the ideal careers to get into... like 7 years ago. every indecisive fuck that got a diploma was pushed into STEM with the promise of high paying jobs. now the market is saturated
>>
>>18143285
So what's the plan now?
>>
>>18143363
Trades are the new educational fad
>>
>>18143372
Then why does everyone I know look down on trades? Are they just being elitist?
>>
>>18143395
People underestimated the value of STEM jobs 10 years ago too.
>>
>>18142986
All STEM degrees are on the cusp of turning into shit.

My dad told me this story. In the 1980s the word was that you had to major in business to get a job, so everyone did. And by the mid 1990s the world was knee-deep in unemployed business majors just because there were so many of them.

For ten years now every kid has been pushed into STEM. By the time you're out of college the glut may well have drowned the job market.
>>
>>18143441
This happens every decade or so with a different career path.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.