[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

buying an engagement ring and could use some help >asked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

buying an engagement ring and could use some help

>asked her friend about what she might like, such as the band metal, the diamond cut, her size, etc
>i was way off, she wants something simple with maybe a few tiny stones embedded in the band, not the big rock on top
>i look around for engagement rings like this, none really fit her description
>ask jewelry store girl about it and she said it sounds like she wants a promise ring
>my budget for the ring was up to $3k
>most expensive promise ring is like $200

so should i get her a cheap as fuck ring that high schoolers give their girlfriends on valentines day? i feel like she'd be upset if i got something like that, even if that's what she told her friend what she wants
>>
>>18141428
If all she cares about is the price tag. She is not into you. If she wants a simple ring, get her a simple ring. Don't try to impress her with money.

Ps. Diamonds are a scam anyway.
>>
Try looking on etsy for designs. They're a lot cheaper but usually well made, and more interesting than standard designs.

And go for what she would like more than a specific price. Save the money for something more important.
>>
>>18141498
I should say that my husband and I got our wedding rings from Etsy. We love the designs and they have a more personal feel to them, along with not breaking the bank on overpriced diamonds.
>>
>>18141428
Get her ring from stainless chirurgical steel and tell her it is silver.

It should be symbol of love, not how much money you can waste. If you make it to the actuall marriage, then it is time for golden investment.
>>
>>18141428
Never trust the friend. I hate the ones my friends like and you never know, maybe shes jealous so trying to down play her
>>
>>18141428
Get her what you think she would like. You should know her better than anyone if you are going to marry her.
>>
>>18141589
i only asked the friend because she could ask her without being too obvious
>>18141485
>>18141498
>>18141506
i get this, but at the end of the day its still not an engagement ring. she doesn't wear rings so if i go by the logic of get her what she likes, i should get her a cat, or a taco
>>
>>18142124
wtf???
It's an engagement ring if you use it when you ask her to marry you.

For a dude, you're real hung up on some dumb semantics shit.

Personally, I'd be way more disappointed if my boyfriend got me an expensive ring that's not my taste than a cheapo one that's up my alley. One shows that he pays attention and knows me and what I like. Also, I'd want to beat his ass for spending more than 1k. That money could be a dopeass vacation or steak for a year.
>>
>>18142149
Practical female, that is uncommon (at least for me) and sexy.

+1 internet for you femanon
>>
>>18142149
i don't want her to think i cheaped out just because her tastes are different. she could say "no i don't want anything expensive or big" but then are secretly resentful that they cant show it off to their friends or whatever. you're right though, I'm hung up on it.
>>
>>18142382
I don't get this. I'd be chuffed and show it off to my friends saying "oh man, he SO gets me; he knows I like this this and this blah blah blah." Then again I don't have that weird 'pissing contest' style friendships lots of people seem to have.

It's very sweet you care so much, but the girl (hopefully) loves you, not the ring. Don't sweat so much, it has no real bearing on anything.
>>
>>18141428
Never spend a lot of money on a ring
Not even for a wedding ring

If you're going to spend thousands of dollars, spend it on memories
Buy a 200 dollar ring, and then take a fucking amazing vacation somewhere.
Like a place where you have "slaves" waiting on your very need
>>
Just stay frugal. Diamonds are utterly worthless. We just market like nobody's business so the value is artificially increased.

t. used to manage jewelry store
>>
>>18142481
It's not just marketing
It's artificial scarcity
We have millions of diamonds, but jewellers only sell a small number a year to ensure that sale prices will stay high

It's not just marketing (which was so strong it shamed a 100 years of people into thinking they're bad husbands if they don't spend 3 moths pay on a ring), it's legit market manipulation

Never buy diamonds or gems at a high price

It's (Jew)ellery.
>>
>>18142488
it makes me really sad this has been drilled into men. Some of the commercials for diamonds are absolutely disgusting. Blatant looking down upon anyone who doesn't cough up a shitton of money as not loving their wife, or if your man didn't spend X amount he doesn't love you. Got me a thoughtful gift? It's not jewelry? FUCK U W'ERE DONE

I sincerely hope my bf doesn't agonize over this stupid shit like poor OP.
>>
OP here, ended up going with one she'd like. $400
>>
>>18142587
Well you compromised
That's ok
At least you didn't cuck yourself for 3000 bucks

Don't do that shit for your wedding ring at least
>>
>>18142587
post a pic for our troubles, OP!
>>
>>18141428
she doesnt need to know? if the metal and gem quality is there, obviously it's still gonna be less expansive because there's no big rocks to top it off with, and there's not the usual inflation that goes with regular engagement rings.

if the only ones you can find are actually cheap as in of lesser quality. customize one. there's a lot of services that offer to design jewelry for you. so spend the extra cash that you wont spend in a massive rock into making a custom, simpler, ring. and knowing the ring was specially made for her will make her the happiest girl around regardless of the cost.
>>
File: il_570xN.883573057_763a (1).jpg (32KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.883573057_763a (1).jpg
32KB, 570x570px
>>18142603
she wanted rose gold with little diamonds instead of the one i was looking at, so i went with this, hope she likes it
>>
>>18142627
I think it's nice. Simple and classy. And most importantly up her alley and not stupid expensive. Good job OP and good luck!
>>
>>18142627
Looks perfect to me. Good luck Anon.
>>
thanks for the help!
>>
>>18142627
You messed up anon
>>
It shouldn't matter the price. As long as it doesn't turn her finger green. If she cares that much about price she isn't worth it. Plus you don't have to tell her it's a promise ring.
>>
the three C's, color, cut, and clarity, are far more influential on the price and quality of a diamond than the size. Do your research and get the highest grade diamond you can buy for 3k in a classic round cut on a plain band, and I guarantee you it won't be too big. you'll have to go somewhere nicer than like, Jared's tho probably
>>
>>18142875
sorry op didn't see you already bought; you got a classic ring I'm sure she'll love
>>
>>18142896
it's what she wanted supposedly, so i hope its ok. i know literally nothing about this stuff
>>18142840
she doesn't care about money so it should be good
>>18142771
why, anon?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.