[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you get in trouble with your college for telling a racist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Can you get in trouble with your college for telling a racist joke on twitter that some retards found and made viral? They keep calling and emailing the school and rting my information for others to see as well. Doubt they can do anything other than be mad. I won't lose a scholarship or anything right?
>>
what was the joke, how bad was it?

Also yes, but its very unlikely
>>
File: 1376905519689.gif (73KB, 233x200px) Image search: [Google]
1376905519689.gif
73KB, 233x200px
>>18136685

Nothing is private these days. Don't be surprised if there is some kind of consequence for this. Its unlikely your consequences would be administrative but that really depends on the context and severity of your joke.

When you say stupid shit on the internet sometimes it comes back to haunt you. It doesn't matter what your intent was, its about perception. So use this as a lesson and just watch what you say on public forums. On social media, the things you say are the only thing people can use to make judgements about who you are as a person so try to be conscientious of that before you try to be pointlessly edgy.

This is the world we live in so either adapt or die, my friend.
>>
>>18136692
It was something like "why did Indians have such a bad time with the trail of tears?

It's real hard to hike when you're drunk all the time"

or something to that effect.
There's a tweet with my schools contact info and my joke that says to "drag him" and it hs over 100 retweets. They keep messaging my mom on Facebook too. It's just annoying, such an innocent joke blown up and witch hunted like this. Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit freaked out and nervous that the school won't see it my way
>>
>>18136696
I've actually been looking for an excuse to delete my social media accounts. I may as well do that now

Also I literally said one tweet prior that I was gonna say the joke to prove that words don't hurt unless you let them. Ironic
>>
>>18136699
If they're actually intent on getting you in trouble,
1. delete the tweet
2. go to one of those basic counselors in your school's office and explain the situation.
You really only have to do this if a bunch of SJWs get on your case, if it's just one or two fags you're probably fine.
>>
>>18136710
Ya there's a bunch as far as I can tell, and I'm on spring break so I'm not at campus. Could or even should I call the office and explain? Also could I flat out pull the "I have high functioning autism and didn't understand what it meant" card?

Already deleted everything
>>
I also reported all of their tweets that were sharing my private information as well as the ones literally calling for me to kill myself. Twitter doesn't seem to care about removing them, however.
>>
>>18136714
i don't know your situation, but it should help to visit them when you get back. Don't say shit like you have autism, just say you didn't mean it and you deleted it, and want to apologize and make sure it doesn't affect your career. Nobody in universities works fast enough to get you in trouble before spring break ends, so you should be fine until you get back

If the school doesn't know exactly what you posted, don't tell them. Just say it was offensive and they might get a call about it, and you're apologizing ahead of time

I knew a kid who made swastikas and shit and he apologized quickly and got off with an apology. You sound smart enough to say the right things, you should be fine
>>
>>18136685
Every time someone says "it's just a joke" it's damage control. What did you say?
>>
>>18136727
But will it even come to that? I may actually have autism because I honestly don't think the university will care at all. But yeah I'd totally be down to tell them my side of the story if need be
>>
>>18136733
LIke I said, I don't know anything about this. That's my advice if it's actually that bad.

Don't do anything until you can talk about it in person anyway. by then you'll know whether anyone gave a shit
>>
>>18136734
Sounds good. Thanks lad. It's a public school in the south if that makes a difference.

>>18136729
>>18136704
Second paragraph
>>
>>18136733
tell them one of your shitbird friends from back home did it as a joke when you were in the bathroom or something.

Honestly, if you're not in a position of power, and what you said wasn't ACTUAL HATEFUL shit, people need to leave you the fuck alone and stop trying to ruin your life. There's real racist shit happening, and dumb twitter jokes ARE NOT IT. Jesus fuck these people make me mad. $20 says the outrage is coming from white girls too.
>>
>>18136743
I wish. It's like legit Native American community leadership accounts with like 15k followers each spreading it around. I found one even tweeting about how I deleted my accounts and she is telling her followers (15k people) to search for me and key search terms to find me again ??? Like wtf I l i t e r a l l y explained that I was only trying to show that words can't hurt you like 100 times before and after the joke but they won't leave it
>>
>>18136749
Oh dude, that's where you fucked up. You should always say it was your friend from the jump.

You might still be able to damage control it, and say that you wanted to protect them (why you took the blame or something), but you're just cutting ties with them instead and putting this behind you.

This shit is getting so out of hand. I'm a black jew female and I never get pissed over this dumb shit. I'm starting to feel like the only sane person left. These people need to chill tf out and focus on shit that matters.
>>
>>18136685
>making racist jokes connected to your real name

You dun goofed, SJWs run the colleges now.
>>
>>18136762
I explained for like three hours straight why I made the joke and they kept retweeting everything I said and calling me a racist and no matter what I said they continually said it didn't matter and kept sharing my info. Nothing can come of this besides some more Indians retweeting my info around like, the more I look at it the more I see it wasn't even a pg13 tier joke, and if the administration actually goes after me I'll legit get a freedom of expression bill passed in my name after we appeal to the Supreme Court lol. Jokes aside, it's just fucking annoying now. My moms phone keeps buzzing with strangers spamming her saying she did a shitty job of raising me. Little do they know we are doing a 5k for breast cancer tomorrow (our fifth this year lmao) but apparently my joke invalidates any good I've done because I'm RAYSISS
>>18136765
Is agree but it's a public school in the south, we haven't even had a single protest on campus in two full years since I came
>>
Idk about the school but if you want to save your reputation you should befriend alt-right people. There's a huge following of them on twitter and Instagram. They backed me when I got doxxed on Tumblr.
>>
>>18136788
I messaged cernovich about it actually cause I saw him tweeting about this type of thing and he said it was no big deal. He also added on the extremely small chance that the school pursues me he told me to message him directly and he would hook me up with a representative thefire.org which runs free speech on campus campaigns or something. I'm not into politics at all, a friend retweeted cernovich on my timeline and I thought he was funny is all, def not alt right but I do get the idea of matching their retard force with one of my own
>>
>>18136781
There's no talking sense into people like this OP. Did you think reddit/4chan/youtubers were exaggerating this shit? No. SJWs will not listen or take into account whether or not you actually have any real hate in you. Especially coming from a white boy- you can't win on these topics. Any dissenting opinion coming from one of their own? Oh, they'll immediately disown you, and label your opinion as invalid as well.

It's also a very slippery slope with getting people's employers/schools involved as well. They have a pressure to 'act' in reference to people like you to save face.

I'm not sure how to get out of this other than passing the blame onto a third party.

>>18136788
the alt-rights are nutjobs too. That might dig his hole deeper my guy. And it might still fuck him later that he stands by it, even with help, when it comes to getting jobs.
>>
>>18136803
I won't be blame passing, because I'm 99% sure the university won't act. Seriously thought if they do I'm willing to fight the school in court then counter sue the retards sharing my info. After seeing how they witch hunted pewdiepie on the news and that jontron fellow idk why I didn't delete my account then and there. It's a blessing in disguise really, I learned that retards can't be taught and I saved myself from the drain of social media

I agree on the alt right part actually. They would only serve to stir the shit pot wouldn't they. I only asked that one guy if he could help cause I was sort of panicked and thought I'd need some resources to help myself. Probably won't need anything though
>>
File: 1386656079974.gif (2MB, 640x260px) Image search: [Google]
1386656079974.gif
2MB, 640x260px
>>18136704

>Also I literally said one tweet prior that I was gonna say the joke to prove that words don't hurt unless you let them.

That's retarded.

I understand the point you're trying to make but justifying saying something insensitive, inflammatory or just plain ignorant by screaming "ITS JUST WORDS" is the mindset of a child.

Words are impactful. Words are important. The world has been forever changed and altered by words. Millions of people have died over words. Human language is the most important tool we have as a species and its application must be respected.

Words do hurt. Words kill. I'm not trying to be dramatic I'm just saying to choose your words wisely because in this world we live in you better have the wisdom and intelligence to accept the consequences for the words that you say. If you say something be ready to back it up, not fall behind the "ITS JUST WORDS" defense and expect people to cherry pick the important bits. This whole "sticks and stones" bullshit is not a viable justification for saying something dumb.

Be an adult. Either stand behind your words or pick better ones. I have no idea what your joke was or the context or whatever, I'm just speaking generally.
>>
>>18136848
I agree with this, but the witchhunt over dumb stuff like this is unconscionable. Like I said >>18136743
there's real shit happening, and people need to stop focusing on stupid kids making stupid jokes.

Focus on REAL hateful words. REAL hateful shit.
>>
>>18136848
I disagree, but that's another conversation because as far as the law cares, freedom of speech doesn't end on campus. It all comes down to whether or not there's a literal retard receiving these calls and emails at the university who decides he or she's gonna be a hero. I doubt that's what's gonna happen though. And the argument that words are impactful is silly. If an actor acts as a racist he isn't a racist and shouldn't be treated as such. For arguments sake and to prove a point, a edgy joke that people choose to be offended by can't actually have any real world repercussions beyond some nerds online being upset. At least that's my view, which I at least believe to be aligned with reality. But as I said before in the thread, I may just be an autistic retard who is out of touch with reality. And it isn't like I said it then fell back on it, I explained prior that I was going to say it to prove that words only bite if you choose to let them. That's a separate argument however, I only really care if I'm gonna get suspended or some dumb shit
>>
>>18136853

>I agree with this, but the witchhunt over dumb stuff like this is unconscionable.

The content of the speech is, in this context, irrelevant. What IS relevant is that perception is everything. Whether or not you feel your words are justified we live in an age where the ideas and things you communicated in a space as vacuumed as the internet are the only pieces of information people have available to make judgements about your character, content is important. You have to be prepared to either defend the things you say or not say them at all. Nothing is private. Have the intelligence and fortitude to play the game correctly or don't play at all, not complain about the rules.

Lets also stop pretending like "stupid joke" is a universal idea. Whether or not you feel like the intent of your words are expressed through their execution you have to begin resolving every one of these conflicts by respecting the fact that there are some words that cut people deeper than others and emotions play a HUGE role in the conversation about "political correctness". Regardless of the end result of your discourse, starting the conversation by telling people they aren't allowed to be hurt by jokes or words because YOU didn't mean them to be hurtful is childish.

You don't have to be ashamed of your words or kowtow to sensationalists to respect other people.
>>
>>18136863

>And the argument that words are impactful is silly.

You're insanely childish. Words are the foundation we use for uniting the human experience. You're being inherently hypocritical because when you speak to someone with passion about something you feel strongly about, someone saying "THEY ARE JUST WORDS" to dismiss your points is just ridiculous.

You can't decide when words aren't important. Words mean everything. Civilizations have been built and destroyed on words alone.

>If an actor acts as a racist he isn't a racist and shouldn't be treated as such

You aren't an actor. You're a real life person saying real life things about the lives of other real life people. Your analogy doesn't apply to anything we're talking about.

>a edgy joke that people choose to be offended by can't actually have any real world repercussions beyond some nerds online being upset

Again, you have an insanely simplistic and childish view of the world. Words always have real world repercussions. Just because words mean nothing to you doesn't mean they don't mean something to other people.

>I may just be an autistic retard who is out of touch with reality

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm not at all defending overly sensitive people or the institution of political correctness, I'm just criticizing your insanely childish view that you should be able to say whatever you want without consequence because they are "just words".

That's ridiculous.
>>
>>18136900
I'm not telling people not to be hurt by them or not to be offended. People have every right to be offended by whatever they want to be, stupid or not.

I'm saying that doxxing, spamming his mother, and trying to actively ruin OP's life IS NOT OK. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>18136910
>>18136915
also, OP is probably childish because he's a fucking child. What is he, like 19? He's practically retarded.

He learned an important lesson on 'how to play the game' here. Doesn't make what's happening to him an acceptable response.
>>
>>18136921
Ya I mentioned earlier people won't get my point of view and I shouldn't even try. You'll forgive me for not going into it anymore here I spent like three hours trying to explain to these dudes that I meant no harm anyway. That dudes right I'm prolly just an autist. An autist whose not gonna get into trouble with school but still an autist
>>
>>18136915

>I'm saying that doxxing, spamming his mother, and trying to actively ruin OP's life IS NOT OK.

It being OK or not is irrelevant. If you make a decision you inherently accept the consequences for it, regardless of how fair those consequences are.

I should be able to leave my doors unlocked at night but if someone opens my door and robs me what conversation should we be having, one about how NOT OK it is that I was robbed or one about how I should make better choices about my security?

Fair has nothing to do with it, anon. Don't be so short-sighted. We can all sit and commiserate about how unfair it is that OP is being harassed and spammed but what does that do to address the root of the issue, which in this case, is OP's childish mindset? The world isn't fair. Tough shit. The only thing you can do is be aware of your own decisions and the implications of your own choices.

If being edgy and telling racist jokes is worth the risk for you, then go for it, but don't encourage the delusion you should be able to do or say anything he wants and then complain about it later because the consequences "weren't fair".

>>18136921

>He learned an important lesson on 'how to play the game' here

He didn't. He spent the last few posts weakly trying to defend his "WORDS MEAN NOTHING" mindset like an insolent baby.

>Doesn't make what's happening to him an acceptable response.

Don't stick your hand under the rocks and the snake won't bite you. The severity of the response is irrelevant to the wisdom of your choices. He said something dumb and now he is receiving dumb consequences. If he hasn't been paying attention to the social climate right now and the intense gender/racial conflict ruining people's lives over stupid internet jokes then the fault lies with him for being naive and ignorant to his surroundings.

Like I keep saying, fair has nothing to do with it.
>>
im going to screen shot and link the people on twitter this thread. fuck you op.
>>
>>18136955
If you got robbed, I doubt you'd have some asshole chastising you for leaving your doors unlocked. You probably would do that to someone, but that's because you seem like an insufferable blowhard.

Fair has everything to do with it. I gave him advice on how to get out of the situation, as well as saying this shit isn't acceptable. I'm allowed to say that and he's allowed to be upset at these fucked up "consequences". Did you see me tell him to stand by it? No.

What are you even trying to prove here? "Don't do that, or this is the backlash you'll get?" He already knows that. I doubt he'll pull it again. He doesn't NEED to agree with 'well, this is what I get' in order to never do it again. You're prattling on about nothing.
>>
>>18136971
Yo I legit just wanted to know if the school was gonna pursue any punishment or not. Completely ignoring that one dude, he's not understanding why I'm here. Yes the doxxing and what not is annoying but I don't give a shit about it really. It's just the school part I wanna know about
>>
>>18136685
Not lawyer.
Neither are any if these geniuses I doubt.
>>
>>18136685

youre a teenage edgelord retard, enjoy your expulsion, you deserve it
>>
>>18136971

>If you got robbed, I doubt you'd have some asshole chastising you for leaving your doors unlocked. You probably would do that to someone, but that's because you seem like an insufferable blowhard.

Irrelevant. If you leave your doors unlocked you're going to be robbed. Me being a blowhard is completely unrelated to the risk of your choices.

>Fair has everything to do with it. I gave him advice on how to get out of the situation, as well as saying this shit isn't acceptable

Yeah? So? Tornadoes are unfair. Typhoid is unfair. Disabled puppies are unfair. We all know it yet their existence is completely unrelated to our choices. Its redundant information.

>I'm allowed to say that and he's allowed to be upset at these fucked up "consequences"

Sure, get upset if you want. It still does nothing to address the issue. I can sit around and get upset that my car broke down but what step does that take towards getting it fixed? Being upset solves nothing. Its a childish response to a childish decision.

>What are you even trying to prove here? "Don't do that, or this is the backlash you'll get?" He already knows that.

If he knew that then he wouldn't be in this situation or in this thread trying to justify his words by saying "THEY'RE JUST WORDS".

>I doubt he'll pull it again. He doesn't NEED to agree with 'well, this is what I get' in order to never do it again

His future choices are irrelevant to the situation at hand and his response to my posts.

>You're prattling on about nothing.

If I'm prattling on about nothing you're prattling on about a guy prattling on about nothing.
>>
>>18137015
Calm down man you obviously don't know if The school is gonna care or not so just leave it. No one is gonna read what you spent 20 mins typing out
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.