[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here been/is in the Army? I'm researching whether

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: pHk4Pnze.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pHk4Pnze.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
Has anyone here been/is in the Army? I'm researching whether or not I want to join. I'm 30 years old, 3 kids, single. Just lost my job but I’ve been thinking about this long before. My last job just instilled a sense of fear in me that this is all there is to life. I have a BS that is basically useless and thinking about going back to school or the Army.

Reading their web page makes me wonder if it is as great as they say. I hear a lot of good stories and a lot of bad. But so far, the pros and cons, I think getting up early, having an uncontrollable schedule, lack of sleep, and possibly doing more work-out than my body could handle is my only real worry. I’m not in shape and have a few health issues. But you wouldn’t know it unless I told you.

So here are some questions:

1. What kind of sleep schedule am I looking at?

2. Is there some a fitness and mental test I can take to determine if I'm capable of going through with this decision? How about a test to determine what my starting pay would be if I got a chosen job? Or at the least, what can I do to my current lifestyle to mimic that of the Army during training and after training?

3. Can I choose to be stationed in Japan or Taiwan?
>>
>>18134612
4. What kind of days off are you looking at each month? Like weekends? 1 Day off? Always working as long as you are there? How much free/down time? What do you do/allowed to do? Internet? Weights? Socializing off base? A friend of mine got a track car built on base, so he claims, and participated in races. From what I've heard, this is bullshit and not allowed. But then again, he did show me pictures of his car. Another friend became incredibly depressed and tried to kill himself. They moved him off base afterwards but he kept serving out his remaining 2 years. He feels better now that he is out, but feels he accomplished something at the same time.

5. What can I REALLY expect for my first couple of weeks, first couple of months, and first year? I'd like to learn some sort of technical skill that will make me big money once my serving is over. Right now, I'm great with a camera. Won awards, etc.

6. Do I go right to Iraq? Friend of mine said he wanted to go to Germany or something and they just sent him to Iraq.

7. Money, how much can I expect to make while serving 2-4 years? How much can I get afterwards even if I’m no longer serving? My friend who almost killed himself makes something like $1800 a month now that he is no longer in service. But, he is in a medical field of work, and I’m not sure if this is part of a reserve program or if he is officially out. Money isn’t a huge issue, but I will most likely have to pay child support while I’m in so it is a little bit of a concern. Especially since I want to put my kids in a better school while I’m in service.
>>
>>18134613
8. And lastly, are there any questions I should be asking that I'm not?

Feel free to ask me questions I can respond to in order to help provide me a better answer.
>>
>>18134617
>>18134613
>>18134612
Also, was just told joining the Airforce is better. So please consider each of my questions to apply to both the Airforce and the Army.
>>
>>18134612
Currently serving right now, might be late to the party here but I can offer some insight if you want. Anyways for a quick write up as far as joining that Army i'd like to reiterate what the poster above wrote; consider joining Air Force instead. You have a family and it seems like they are your priority. You will prefer that quality of life over Army, believe me.
As for hours it all depends on duty station, you could live somewhere like me (Alaska) and it tends to be a more relaxed duty station, yet, at the same time we go to the field a lot of times a year but work generally 6 am for PT and get off till 9 and work until 5:30 generally. Now just got hit by a deployment wave so you can see how family will be affected by all this. Or you could live somewhere else where they required possibly even more field exercises and time away from your family with longer hours. The Army in all has a great program allowing you to pick your job, however. But they are demanding in regards to keeping you away from family if they want, and if you get in a shitty unit you will be praying for an early death.
Sleep schedule while in basic or AIT (learning environment/training) you will get little to no sleep. After that you can look forward to more normal sleeping hours again, but you won't want to. As far as Pay... well look at 2016/2017 pay for your Grade and you will see what you earn, just because you may have college doesn't mean shit towards your pay, now, with that being said I would recommend going officer if you have some college under your belt.
Where you will be stationed is up the Army, you can request it through ASK (program on website) on Army Knowledge Online, (which you'll learn about later) but you won't really get to choose, it's a request and needs of the military as to where you go. All in all the benefits they give to married personnel are good enough that it makes you want to stay in if you have nothing else. Hope this helps somewhat.
>>
>>18134849
Sorry, misread that you wrote that. Yes Air Force is better, wayyyy better quality of life. You won't be living like shit in the field or in deployment if you ever go. PT will be a joke and you will have little required of you in that regard, however knowing your job will be a high priority and being able to pass tests is a must or you will get the boot quickly.
>>
>I'm 30 years old

Then you're disqualified.

Hope you had a backup plan....?
>>
>>18134879
No he's not. With a waiver he can get in. My barracks mate was 32 when he got in. Fucking old but had the time of his life
>>
>>18134612
Air Force is definitely the better deal. Army is better for when your younger unless you're planning to go into some real soft-skilled job. Even then, I'd still have gone AF if I was in your position.

You'll have a paycheck, have health, dental and housing covered. If you do your finances right, that is.

You'll also get the GI Bill. Use that money when you get out.

If you think you'll find a better job as a civilian, then consider the Air guard.
>>
>>18134612

1. youre looking at a 9-4 workday. usually 630 morning formation, go for a run or whatever bullshit, go home shit shower eat and go back to base till lunch. come back, fuck off some more and then end of day formation and peace

2. go for a 2 mile run, are you alive? go for a 5 then. that's the longest youll ever run and at a turtles pace

3 you can, but its luck if you find a slot. its not impossible for sure, but slots are slim unless you're like 2-3 years in already

4 weekends off and whatever holidays. maybe half day thursday to take care of family shit

5 its going to suck becase its a new lifestule but its fucking summer camp. don't be a bitch nor hardass and you''ll be fine

6 no iraq is over for nobodies. maybe afghanistan, but as AF you'll be on a nice cush base with all the amenities. maybe kuwait or saudi depends

7 be thrifty and don't blow your pacheck on dumbshit

8 if you have nothing going for you, the air force will give you a good deal. even the army. but they're being picky now since it was a reduction in forces and there isn't a big conflict going on
>>
>>18134903
This guy is right,if there's a civi job you can find that pays a bit better i'd consider that. After all the experience I have in the Army it is safe to say the suck can be real and you don't know what you are getting yourself into especially with a decent sized family. Don't join because you are out of options.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.