[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/. Long story short, I was in an abusive relationship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161216_121849.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161216_121849.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
Hey /adv/.
Long story short, I was in an abusive relationship for over three years. After I finally got myself out of the situation, the abusive ex harassed me for months. I almost had to get the police involved.
Now I'm in a happy relationship with an amazing guy. He's the complete opposite of my ex; treats me well, makes me feel safe and happy, actually spends time with me.
Here's the problem: about three months or so ago a number I didn't know called from the state my ex lives in. Obviously I thought it was him since he used to call me from dozens of numbers I didn't know hoping I'd pick up. I panicked and ignored the call and that was the end of that. But then a month or so later it happened again. I had a full blown panic attack. I now realize that it very well could have been two wrong number calls, but I was terrified that he was going to start harassing me again. Ever since that happened, I've been having awful nightmares about my ex either kidnapping me and/or murdering my family, boyfriend, or me. I have these dreams at least four times a week. How do I make them stop? I haven't told my boyfriend because I feel like it's weird that I'm dreaming about my ex. I don't know why this is happening. I'm completely over my ex and I just want him out of my life, out of my memory, and out of my dreams.
>>
>I'm completely over my ex

I humbly submit that this might not be true.

OP, 3 years of emotional abuse is fucking horrible and, first of all, congrats on getting out of it. For sure you should look into therapy. If getting a call from a number you don't recognise gives you a panic attack and nightmares, that's a pretty strong indication that you have some shit to work through, and therapy can help you enormously with that. Just like you aren't expected to men a broken bone without the help of a doctor, you also shouldn't expect yourself to fully recover from serious emotional trauma like this by yourself.
>>
>>18133866
It's just difficult because therapy is so expensive, ugh. I just want to move on though.
>>
Talk with your boyfriend, he'll understand. He can try calling that number back to see who it is without giving away who you are, or answer it next time? Maybe look into PTSD (flash-backs) or OCD (invasive thoughts) self-help if therapy is out of budget.
>>
>>18133998
I'll talk with my boyfriend, thank you anon. And yeah, I've been diagnosed with OCD for years. Lol
>>
bump, how do I get rid of nightmares?
>>
>>18133998
>Have your boyfriend call the number

Oh yeah that's a great idea, if it's your ex I'm sure he will have choice words for him that could not possibly result in serious repercussions!
>>
>>18133852
Ex here

You can't get rid of me

I will follow you till we part from this world

Just accept my embrace and I'll forgive you for your past transgressions

Pick up, or it won't be phone calls anymore :)
>>
>>18133852
just change your fucking phone number? its a minute long phone call to your service provider

ffs some people have real problems
>>
>>18134547
Fuck off, that shit isn't funny.

>>18134551
I haven't had a call for a month or so, that isn't the issue anymore. (Plus he didn't only try to contact me via phone, it was everything.) It's the nightmares I'm having issues with now.
>>
>>18134567
;)
>>
>>18134547
>>18134567
>>18134569
Alright, now I feel bad, just been shit posting
good luck with killing him or whatever you plan on doing
>>
>>18133852
First of all, don't feel guilty. You're undergoing a kind of PTSD, a natural and legitimate response to a bad experience.

The simplest thing to do is buy an answering machine and use it to screen your calls. Have your boyfriend record the neutral message "We can't answer the phone right now, Please leave a message" When you're at home and the phone rings, let the machine answer it. You can hear the person leaving the message, and if you know them you pick up, interrupt the recording, and talk with them.

A lot of people do that just so they can decide which of their friends they want to talk with right then.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.