[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really don't know what I want to do, what I want to major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_noumvjK13j1uwx299o1_1280.jpg (2MB, 1024x1284px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_noumvjK13j1uwx299o1_1280.jpg
2MB, 1024x1284px
I really don't know what I want to do, what I want to major in, I am still a jr in highschool (should be graduating but was held back in 6th grade) I have many options to pursue bit I don't really know what I want, I build / fix computers for friends in my free time and modify alot of things I have (friend gave me his old mechanical keyboard with dead LEDs and I ordered new ones and resoldered them in) I also enjoyed making a Gameboy emulator device (called a Gameboy zero) it uses a pi zero and runs on Linux etc etc, I have taken an old computer case and painted it black after sanding it and made a swing out with windowed side panel for it (It didn't have side panel but it was a nice enough case for me to want to make something out of it)

I like to do alot of things as you can see but I don't know what kind of job I would want, or what I would major in, I was thinking about Computer Science , but really don't know if that would be right, it stresses me out a bit in general that I have no idea where im heading in life and really should get a better idea
>>
File: image-20170302_002713.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170302_002713.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>18132963
bump?
>>
>>18132963
Make sure you know what you're actually getting into. Computer Science isn't Information Technology. It's a lot more theoretical, and involves a lot of mathematics; your hobbies are only tangentially related. I don't study CS myself, but it's pretty common to see folks who get into it because their hobbies include rigging their PCs with liquid cooling for maximum FPS only to discover that it isn't at all what they expected and lose interest.

I'm not trying to scare you off of it, but I don't have any easy anwsers, either. Deciding what you want to do with your life is honestly a lot to ask from someone of your age. I ended up majoring in something completely different from what I had planned in high school.
>>
File: 1485732869081.jpg (102KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1485732869081.jpg
102KB, 736x552px
>>18133259
thank you very much, knowing this helps alot , what would you recommend? not saying I'd pick it but you recommended it but it would help narrow down what to research
>>
>>18132963
If you're in the US, the first 2 years of college are mainly required and shop-around courses, specifically to allow you to explore and discover what you want. You can get away with not declaring a major (or declaring one at random and later changing it) until as late as your third year.
>>
>>18133274
this is also very good info, alot of friends of mine are first years in collage and they were stressing about choosing a major so this will help them aswell
>>
>>18133270
Computer Science isn't a bad pick as long as you're sure it's something you're interested in.

Ideally, you should pick something that has good employment opportunities and that you're interested in doing. If you're not fortunate enough to live in a communist utopia that provides low-cost or free education, you should place slightly more weight on employment opportunities. Look at anything with "engineering" in it.

Automation and electronic engineering involves a lot of work with computers, if that's your thing.
>>
File: 1482265514393.gif (389KB, 496x492px) Image search: [Google]
1482265514393.gif
389KB, 496x492px
>>18133332
I do like working with computers alot and considering picking up software skill stuff so by the time I graduate with these things in mind I will have a good idea of what I want (of I like doing a specific type of job more then the other) while I still shop around and look at majors (I also live in the US to clear that up as well) thank you very very much
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.