[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eh.... I don't know what can I do? Forced in a Major that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: yyYwwHy.png (54KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
yyYwwHy.png
54KB, 900x600px
Eh.... I don't know what can I do?

Forced in a Major that I really dislike and struggle with. My parents always presented it as the only option. I told them about 50 times that it's not what I want to do
And they always would have it where I either do their major (For the wrong reasons) or if I don't I will need to work full time, pay rent, and they wouldn't cosign on my loans for school
The major I'm in probably has been causing some minor psychological issues aswell. But they don't belive in that... so...

I honestly don't know what I want. As I never was able to actually explore other fields.

One thing I sorta wanted to do my whole life is become a Firefighter or EMT within FDNY....
>>
Stop being a gigantic pussy and be a man. Tell your parents 'fuck you' and go live your own life. You will never be happy living under someone's thumb. If you have no financial help from your parents, the government will give you money.
>>
>>18132749
What's your major
>>
>>18132754
>the government will give you money
Alas, some of the users of this board have the misfortune of living in third-world countries such as the US.
>>
>>18132802
I'm was referring to the US, you imbecile.
>>
>>18132800
Nursing. I understand it's a great career, but needs to be something that your head is into.

>>18132754
Told them that. quite a few time, yet they threaten me constantly with loosing my home, my car, my everything
>>
>>18132749
>my major is giving me psychological damage

What the actual fuck? Dude you'll NEVER be a fucking firefighter. You're a pussy in every way. You'll never be able to handle running into a burning building, helping the severely burned, or collecting the dead you couldn't reach in time if your COLLEGE MAJOR is dealing you psychological harm.

Even if you somehow pass the exams you will be bullied by your peers to no end until you quit. Guys like you are targets, and fire departments are truly some of the most sterotypically masculine places you'll ever find. That means pranks, taunts, bullying, and jokes at your expense all the time.

>stepdad was a firefighter for 30 years
>he was a Chad and fucking loved it
>>
File: bush-aa.jpg (20KB, 258x345px) Image search: [Google]
bush-aa.jpg
20KB, 258x345px
>>18132855
Your parents aren't pressuring you to study law, business or medicine, but fucking nursing?

Is this some kind of a family thing?
>>
>>18132903
Nope. Not at all... My dad was a Cop, and my Mother was a secretary.

It's a money thing to my parents. And a race thing
>>
File: 1476010258544.png (95KB, 581x445px) Image search: [Google]
1476010258544.png
95KB, 581x445px
>>18132841
>I'm was
>you imbecile
>>
>>18133060
To be honest, I don't really understand why your parents would support you in studying to become a nurse, but not an EMT. They're within the same field, and depending on where you might end up working as a nurse (an ER, for instance), don't differ from each other all that much.
>>
Sounds like you know exactly what you want which is to do something else than your current major. Your choice is to risk breaking with your parents to spend a happy life doing what you want, or a life in misery doing what they want.

If you pick talking to your parents, make sure you have a plan. What would you like to do? Does it take studying? Make sure you got your plan together because parents this unreasonable need to hear you have a contra-proposition, rather than bum your life away trying to find out exactly how you will end up defying them. You'll either baffle them with your extremely - in their eyes grown-up plan, or they'll throw the fit you always anticipated. Then, make sure you have a plan to move out (if you still live with them) and how you'll end up pursuing your dreams without their help.
>>
>>18132749
Finish the nursing degree, since you're so far along in it, and then use it to apply for EMT jobs.
>>
>>18133276
Money. That is the only reason.

>>18133319
I'm not that far along really. So, I could still possibly change it.

>>18133315
Already spoke to them today. Basically, as long as I live in their house, I must go nursing. Though I did manage to get them to break from it to a slight degree. I can take the FDNY Exam, and if I get on, I can drop to part time in school

And, yea. I need to definitely have alternative living arrangements set for when the inevitable occurs
>>
>>18133338

Your parents are mental. Nurses make decent money but not like 6 figure money ever. You make from $40-60k/yr and it is fucking exhausting work.

You could make that money easily in an entry level job as a software developer just by passing a 4 month coding boot camp. The salary prospects go into six figures after getting less than 10 years experience. Tell your parents this.
>>
>>18132903
>Nursing
>Not medicine
>>
>>18133338
100% chance if you become an EMT you'll wish you went for nursing.
>>
>>18133738
I live outside NYC, and Nurses do make 6figures. It's not unheard of for 100-120 to even 140. (We have some family friends and some distant relatives in it)

But still, my big thing is that its one of those where your heart really needs to be in. Its not like an office job where you can just BS your way through.

>>18133756
Maybe... But it's really a last resort to become a Paid EMT. I'll probably go FF first. (Though I'll still volunteer as one with my Local Dept)
>>
>>18133763
Do you have any idea how hard it is to get into the FDNY as a FF? If you're an FDNY EMT it's just a promotion exam.

Also with the FF exam you'll be on the list for years before you get in.
>>
>>18133763
As stated above, you don't have the mental fortitude for firefighting. You're getting psychological disorders from studying nursing. STUDYING nursing, not actually being a nurse.

I mean, even the toughest guys develop disorders when they have to study something they're not interested in AND their parents won't let them study something else without being cut off at the same time. I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself.
>>
>>18133770
Depends on just how well you score on the exam. I'm already at a disadvantage as you would receive a 5 point "bonus" if you live in the city, speak a second language and a few other things.

And yea, I could still do the EMT promotion route. I haven't ruled it out yet.
>>18133780
I was exaggerating a fair bit with what I said with that whole thing. At most it is just screwing with my sleep a bit
>>
>>18133788
Even if you score a 100 the process takes around 2 years, what will you do in the mean time?
>>
>>18133794
I can always get work with my local hospital as an EMT. (Assuming I have my EMT cert by then.)

Not the best money, but I should make it work for a few years.
>>
>>18132855
>Told them that. quite a few time, yet they threaten me constantly with loosing my home, my car, my everything
You just missed the entire fucking point of >>18132754
>>
>>18133885
Eh, still doesn't help with the whole living thing. And the fact that I won't have a car or anything. (Car is in their name... So can report it stolen)

Best I can do right now is gradually move what I have to somewhere else. So, then I can do what you mentioned. But until I actually have the means to get out of this place, I can't do much
>>
>>18133907
>But until I actually have the means to get out of this place
It's called a job.
>>
>>18133920
I have a fucking job. But as it stands, its not enough to survive here. Cost of living in the NYC Metro is insane
>>
Be a nurse bro.
21/Male/Texas
I thought I wasn't cut out for nursing and was planning to do something out post graduation.
I've been a Medical ICU nurse for over a year and half now. Yeah school makes it so some stressful but its hella work it. The first few months suck (because you are still learning on the job). However, I couldn't see myself doing anything else now. I banked 61k (net) last year, I only work three days a week, and I've traveled to more places in the last year then the other 20 years of my life. Plus the pussy is everywhere because all the bitches want to be nurses and will flock towards you about the job.
>>
>>18133949
I see what you mean, but truthfully, its just something that I never wanted to do. Honestly, a Firefighter makes similar money to a nurse in NYC. Nurses make ~110-120k, FF's about 100k, plus the overtime, which can really add up.
>>
>>18133984
Bro if you can't handle the psychological stress of school or stand up to your parent. How will you risk your life and meet the demand of fire fighting?
>>
>>18133990
Like I said before, I was exaggerating with that bit.
It's mostly just screwing with my sleep patterns and thats it. Still technically psychological though
>>
>OP wants to be a firefighter but his parents won't let him

Do you not see the irony? You seriously think you can save people from burning buildings like this?
>>
>>18134006
Do you not see the actual issue here? The forced into a specific career against the wishes of the OP?

That is a bit more than "Mommy won't let him"
>>
>>18134009
He's free to do whatever he wants, but he's too much of child to deal with not getting a free ride through life from his parents.

>b-but they'll take away the car and I'll have to pay rent
Believe it or not, a lot of people never have their family pay their way.
>>
>>18134020
I think he's mostly getting at the whole thing that he was never able to properly explore what he wants to do in life. Instead he was forced into this, and if he wishes to properly figure out what he wants to do, he may be kicked out all together. Which he seems to mention here "Basically, as long as I live in their house, I must go nursing"

So, it seems a bit more than just paying some rent at this point
>>
>>18134023
>So, it seems a bit more than just paying some rent at this point
No, that's literally it. His parents have made their conditions clear if he wants their financial babying. He either mans up or does what daddy says.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.