[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, so I've got a couple of roommates. Yesterday, I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: cup-of-noodles.jpg (55KB, 597x688px) Image search: [Google]
cup-of-noodles.jpg
55KB, 597x688px
Alright, so I've got a couple of roommates. Yesterday, I wanted to go grocery shopping, and asked if they wanted to get in on it. They said later, and I was fine with that.
Today, I got back from work to find the cupboards and fridge full, but with junk. They got:
>12 frozen burritos
>8 cup of noodles
>tortilla chips and salsa
>a shit ton of soda
>a gallon of milk
>half a gallon of fucking goldfish crackers
No eggs, meats, veggies, cheese, or anything that you cook on a stove or oven. Nothing to get anything in your diet but starch and a bit of meat. Also, none of the non-foods we needed like a new pot or dish soap.
So, do I confront them about what they bought, or do I just go buy my own stuff, and leave each to their own. I'm worried that if I divide my stuff from theirs, they'll accuse me of not sharing what I bought while dipping into theirs (though nothing they bought but milk appeals to me). On the other hand, if I just let it all sit together, then they'll run out of their poorly-chosen food within a week and be eating all the shit I bought.
Anybody have similar experiences that they worked out?
>>
>>18132088
Why not buy your own milk? Surely there are containers smaller than a jug in burgerland.
I think you are in a strong position to deploy bants at them for being clueless teenagers. Consistently and immediately express zero tolerance policy for nicking your shit, regardless of compensation.
>>
>>18132088

Sharing food with roommates is a fundamentally shitty idea for this reason exactly. I wouldn't go all in on the junk food like they did, but I have zero interest in cooking something in an oven or on the stove for every meal. Some people just didn't grow up that way, anon, and expecting them to match your tastes is a bad idea. Plus, "cooking for the house" always ends up a losing battle. Someone you live with is inevitably going to either eat more than their share, never cook when it's their turn, or just outright be a shit cook.

Politely tell your roommates that you'd like some different stuff and that you'd like to buy your own things going forward. That you won't touch their stuff, either.

In my house we don't share jack shit because the third roommate won't even pitch in on trash bags or detergent. He's getting kicked out.
>>
>>18132107
This. Never do a community thing with food and necessities. Someone will most likely in the end feel like they are not getting their fair share.

When my wife (we weren't married at the time) and I first moved in together we asked a friend couple to move in with us. The other couple had a fixed income (and also neither of them worked, they collected SSI) and we thought it would be a good idea for them to live with us. We even said we would split bills paying in 3 ways, I pay 1/3, my wife pay 1/3, and the couple pay 1/3 even though they were 2 people. Their fixed income wasn't alot but enough to ensure they could cover that and have money left over. They agreed obviously cause that was a great deal for them. When food and necessities were brought up I said that they had to buy their own stuff. They wanted to do a community thing but we said no. I figured my wife and I worked and would be gone alot and the couple would be home all day and they would just be eating and drinking more then their share. Needles to say they declined to move with us over it but my wife and I realized the bullet we dodged. We got a smaller place without them and 2 months later they were asking for help from us because turns out they were terrible with money.
>>
>>18132100
>>18132107
>>18132120
Thanks, guys. Guess I was a bit optimistic. I'll just have separate groceries from now on.
>>
>>18132088
Ahhhh college life.

Funny thing is. I got some friends who moved in together after graduating. While at school, they lived at the same co-op. I now call their house the Senior version of that co-op. Their fridge is STILL filled with the exact same stuff you listed above (except swap soda for beer). Everyone in the house is 25-28 >.>

Buy a cheap mini fridge.
Keep your own stuff in your own fridge.
If you're feeling generous, occasionally cook for the house and that should kill any negative vibes that might exist.

People like free shit, double that if it's tasty. Even something relatively cheap and easy to mass make like some spaghetti, egg friend rice, or cheap golden curry will make people happy.
>>
>>18132190

Just an opposing viewpoint: I hate it when my roommates make food for the house. I feel obligated to make it up to them by cooking myself or taking their share of the chores or something. And I hate cooking, so it's an annoying burden to me to need to make something to share.
>>
I live with my own sister and we buy our own stuff. Before that, I lived with a childhood friend and we did the same. People like different things and it's the best way to assure nobody gets uncomfortable with how much they spend or they eat or the quality of the expenditure and the meals.

Me and my sis have a common notebook where we write down common things we buy like cleaning products, toilet paper or even things that take long to be consumed like a bottle of oil or salt. Then we divide half and half every month. Never had a problem with her this way.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.