[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I deal with the fact that I can't sing or dance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

how do I deal with the fact that I can't sing or dance? people say I'm not that bad, but I Hate doing it
>>
Make a dedicated effort to get better or just stop caring
>>
>>18132072
I'll be honest the last part sounded a bit harsh
>>
>>18132077

How? It's solid advice, get confidence or stop caring and just sing like shit.
>>
>>18132083
it's just that I have really bad self esteem issues. it just feels like an insult even though you're stating the truth. honestly I was gonna ask how do I avoid music so I don't be reminded of my lack of skill.

it's just that working upwards these things is basically acknowledging I'm behind everyone in skill. some people are natural and I hate that. my girlfriend just sings random songs for fun with no professional training or note reading and she has no trouble singing her songs in tune.
>>
>>18132067
bump how do I avoid music or at least get confidence
>>
>>18132067
>I can't sing

When do you HAVE to sing ever? Dancing just bop around after a few drinks
>>
>>18132067
Mate I have the same, but only with dancing. I guess this is mainly because I was always into metal music, which stopped me from practicing "proper dancing". I remember my ex was always insistnig to dance with her. It is not like I wasn't trying to do that but I always could feel this burden like I was doing something wrong, or looking stupid. There are two way, either you can ignore it and try your best with dancing, or become better with that and sign yourself in to some sort of dancing school. While singing, cmon dude not everybody can sing.
>>
>>18132131
people ask me to because of my voice
>>18132138
I thought they dancing was Harder than singing. anyways here is my garbage rendition of parts of javerts suicide
http://vocaroo.com/i/s199uU5PHiOQ
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0XSRRDq0psO
>>
>>18132172
Dude, your voice is cool AF!
So I would say that you have to practice your dancing right now only.
>>
>>18132179
Really? I thought I was absolute trash
>>
>>18132186
Well, it is not bad in a sense that it does not sound bad. It might not be the best voice for singing, but I guess It goes all right with that. I would say I like it, If you were a storyteller, I would enjoy listening you!
>>
>>18132172
You're not tone-deaf or anything, you just totally lack the fundamentals of a singer. You've got no breath control and your placement (where the air collides in the throat/mouth on the way out) is wandering.

You say your girlfriend has no training but I doubt that's true; if someone has been singing with an effort on improving all their lives they're going to have the fundamentals you appear to lack.

If it bothers you that much take some lessons. Learn diaphragmatic breathing, learn how to keep the amount of air you're using when singing constant, learn to "support" the note so the tone doesn't waver, etc.

Most people who say they can't sing mean they're tone-deaf, but you're clearly just unpracticed. Everyone starts somewhere.
>>
>>18132191
thanks, people say they would love narrations by me
>>18132195
I see, thanks. only training i had was a semester of chorus freshman year of high school, and I think they did teach breath control but i forgot everything, neither did i stay practicing. The thing is she Said she only performed in one performance 7th grade. she said she likes singing vidya, anime, and rwby songs by herself for fun.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yZGiezir30
here she sings snake eater but is trying not to let her parents hear her
>>
>>18132206
she's got some good range on her falsetto, but it's pretty much impossible to gauge a singer's skill when they're actively preventing themselves from using enough air to have a proper sound

Like I said, you've really got nothing to be ashamed or worried about, if you really want to get better all you have to do is learn and practice.

Some notes that seem to help beginners:

-When singing, no matter the note (high or low) and no matter the loudness, you need to use a lot of air and the flow of air needs to be consistent. This will ensure the tone is correct and full and doesn't waver

-breathe from the diaphragm; it's fine to use your chest and shoulders to fill your lungs after you've extended your diaphragm, but if you're not used to singing you're likely ONLY using your chest and shoulders to breathe. Try to stand up and breathe in and out without moving your chest or shoulders at all to feel where the diaphragm is

-experiment with your range; you may think you're a baritone but maybe you're a bass, figure out what notes feel more comfortable to sing and practice in that register before trying to expand outwards

-It's not a big deal, but you may want to find some songs to practice that are less character-voice and acting like Javert's Suicide.
>>
>>18132216
>>18132195
>>18132206
-picture starting at the "top" of whatever note you're beginning at, try at all times to avoid sliding to the note

btw this is all coming from someone from a musical theater family who's been singing since 5 - I can be pretty fucking harsh on people with bad voices but that's not you and your girlfriend.
>>
>>18132216
>>18132239
thanks m8s, I'll practice more. I tried singing these things since me and her discussed her singing skills a few days ago. honestly I felt a bit jealous of her and her skill , it made me feel horrible
>>18132239
that's actually pretty cool that your family is in musical theater, I want to be an actor. what plays you and them performed in?
>>
>>18132261
I couldn't say for the other members of my family; my dad was a director at hexagon for a while and my mom performed there. My Sister did a ton of theater stuff in school then a long stint with the rocky horror show at universal orlando

I've only done a few amateur shows but I'm also in a ska band
>>
>>18132264
hey something is better than nothing, the more shows you do, the more your resume is filled. how old are you? I'm 18, she's 19
>>
>>18132267

You've got time m8
>>
>>18132131
this.

wtf OP, if you dont like singing just dont fucking sing.

if for unknown reasons singing is some mandatory shit where you come from, take fucking singing lessons.
>>
>>18132275
thanks, how do I get over my feelings of jealousy and inadequacy towards her and others?
>>
>>18132294
therapy?

It's silly to feel inadequate at something you've barely tried.
>>
>>18132304
how does one feel more confident then?
>>
>>18132067
bump
>>
>>18132324
take. fucking. singing. lessons.
>>
>>18133180
I know I'm stretching your patience, but I meant general confidence, not just I'm singing. I already looked up some singing teachers this afternoon don't worry
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.