[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone help me with a computer issue, please? Last year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1458756181440.jpg (72KB, 511x496px) Image search: [Google]
1458756181440.jpg
72KB, 511x496px
Can anyone help me with a computer issue, please?
Last year in October, my desktop shutdown w/o reason. Looked at the plugs and the power plug was hanging out so I stupidly just shoved it back in. System instantly booted up by itself and shit began to hit the fan. It kept shutting down and would then start up with 2 or 3 beeps. It was either beeping for a ram issue or a motherboard issue, but occasionally it'd just boot normal.
Took it to a repair shop early December, they dusted it and said they found nothing wrong. Went back home and it started again a week later.
Took it to another repair shop and they just said "we'll have a look, upgrade to win10 oh and that other place put the fan in the wrong way".

Now the shutdowns did stop until start of January when it happened once or twice. Same as in February. Now the other night, it went crazy again and it got to the point where I couldn't and still can't really use it. Managed to boot it through once and I checked the error logs, the computer had 3000 errors since Oct 29th (the night it happened), with the 'critical error' Kernel Power 41 (I'm sure that's what it was) had happened 30 times and all the dates correlated with the times it shut down.

Anyone have any idea wtf it could be? It's probably 4 or 5 years old but still a good Alienware PC. Can't afford to buy a new PC of any kind but could probably buy a new part or so if it's motherboard or power unit.

In return, I'll try to give advice on any life issue you may have.
>>
>>18129283
Have you tried changing out the harddrive
>>
OP Here again, some other info. The USB ports often keep power even when the computer it turned off. Quite often the entire computer will freeze also but the keyboard and mouse lose all power.
>>
>>18129289
No, I didn't think to do that as I haven't had any memory loss at all.
>>
At a cursory glance, it sounds like you shorted out something that day. My first guess would be the power supply is dying, especially due to the power sometimes cutting out to peripherals. Could also have shorted the motherboard, CPU or RAM (in that order of likelihood imo).

Could potentially be loose cables internally.
>>
>>18129386
Thanks, anon!
I can afford to buy a new power board so I'll buy one and try it. Unless you recommend buying a motherboard first/ at the same time?
>>
>>18129404
Not the other guy but I would say mother board first. Power supplies tend not to fail in the way you described but motherboards do. Find one with the same sockets as your current cpu if you want to keep it or use this as a chance to upgrade the cpu at the same time (they are often sold as bundles)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.