[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody here feel like they're just smart enough to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1976.jpg (96KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1976.jpg
96KB, 500x363px
Does anybody here feel like they're just smart enough to grasp how dumb they actually are?

Well that's how I feel. My life back in high school was built on the idea of excelling in my honors courses, and when I didn't reach the standard I expected, I hated myself.

It pretty much started in 9th grade when I got so many Bs in geometry, and screwed up simple mental math in front of classmates. That's also when I discovered so many students were seemingly way smarter than me, and my self-esteem plummeted.

Should I accept that I'm a mediocre moron? Take an IQ test? Or should I forgive myself for my failures?
>>
just try to be stupid. stupid people are happy.
>>
>>18127856
That really isn't a solution considering the only happiness I get is from succeeding.
>>
>>18127767

Success doesn't even require much intelligence. It's more about hard work and effort. If you're smart you can succeed, but if you're smart and lazy, you'll probably end up being a total fuck up.
>>
>>18127767
I'm in the same boat and have basically resigned myself to mediocrity. I wish I was smarter, but I know that isn't going to happen. I think this feeling of inferiority comes from being told that I was smart as a child. More than being intelligent, I wish I had a passion to spend my time on.
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>18127767
It's just a matter of will. Anything you study hard and seriously for a year or two you will show enormous signs of improvement if you approach it right. I mean what do you want to improve on? Math?
>>
>>18128956
Yes, math above all other things. But I know that someone else could learn concepts a hell of a lot faster.
>>
>>18129479
Higher level math is mostly about having a good enough teacher, if it makes you feel better
>>
>>18127767
Stop being so hard on yourself and you'll do better
>>
Nigger, psychology graduate here and I;m gonna let you in on a secret.

Unless you score beneath 80 (in which case you're literally retarded) then IQ scores don't mean shit. An IQ score is just a measure of your base intelligence. However actually being "smart" comes from accumulating a lot of knowledge. As long as you're not legitimately retarded you can always get smarter by studying a lot.

A person with an IQ of 100 who studies every day is going to be smarter than someone with an IQ of 120 who never studies.
>>
>>18129591
Doesn't being "smart" entail learning and solving problems faster? How does becoming more knowledgeable make you smarter?
>>
>>18129713

I'm no psychologist (or academic, for that matter) but knowledge is what you know, intelligence is how quick you are and/or how effective you are at getting things done.

Knowledge is independent of IQ (intelligence) in the fact that knowledge can be increased, your IQ generally can't. I mean, you can probably gain a few points over the years by applying yourself or practicing something on a consistent basis, but that's part of the whole deal on intelligence is that it can't be increased.
>>
Dont judge your intelligence based on math. The thing about math is that you have to master the concepts of everything before the current topic or you will struggle with it. Everything about math is like building a pyramid, you need to do it one level at a time.

A lot of smart people struggle with it because of ADD and they zoned out a couple weeks ago in class. This just means you learn differently than other people.

Some people can read a book and work at the subject and learn that way, others need to use the material in a hands on way to grasp it.

A good teacher can pick up on these types of students and direct the class accordingly.
>>
>>18129916

A person with ADD can be smart, but generally not.

One of the hallmarks of smart people is the ability to have a long attention span across a variety of subjects
>>
>>18129932

Bollocks.

It is completely dependent on your personality. An INTJ for instance typically may be poor at regimented coursework and tests, but once they have a goal they have intense hyper focus.

So much ADD is misdiagnosed because the extremely smart person is bored out of their mind in class.
>>
>>18129944

there you have it then. all these really smart kids with ADD don't actually have ADD, theyre just going through lessons unchallenged
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.