[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer science student, 3rd year. Pretty successful too, working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: potential-2.jpg (547KB, 1920x1483px) Image search: [Google]
potential-2.jpg
547KB, 1920x1483px
Computer science student, 3rd year. Pretty successful too, working a job while studying and got a lot of friends and great social life and i always feel that something's missing. I feel so lazy even tho im pretty successful and that's on my mind all the time. For example, attending lectures on my uny is not mandatory and i never go because im too lazy to sit there and listen to professor since i'll have to go through that same shit myself and i always pass all of my exams even tho i dont go to a single lecture whole semestar.

It's hard to explain what's on my mind but pretty much i think its laziness since i know im really smart and will be able to pull out successfuly no matter what if you know what i mean.. Anyone with a similar situation?

tldr; pretty successful but have unused potential to be great, how do i use that potential in full scale
>>
>>18127175
how do you define success? what do your friends say about you? how about your work ethic?
>>
>>18127193
Id say im the same as most of my friends when it comes to studying, mostly before exams but they arent so lazy as me with attending lectures at uny i think.

I have the same problem with my job. I got great conditions, flexible work time, can study anything i want and get paid for it but I, basically cant appreciate it and cant find motivation to force myself to go to work everyday.. I really cant define the real reason for this but i suspect its laziness. Its like i cant find motivation to do something through and through and tend to procastinate instead due to inability to focus and get stuff done
>>
How hard does comp sci get? I'm going back as an older student to study it, but I'm just in intro courses now. I'm a bit afraid of what lies ahead.
>>
>>18127175

lectures don't work for everyone, I studied biology and the lectures tended to only scratch the surface of the material we had to read.
The chapters obviously went over the same topics so I stopped going to a lot of lectures and just read all the material at home.

If it's true that you pass all your classes with minimal effort, then your laziness seems to be a simple result of not being challenged enough.

Maybe take extra classes or find another hobby that you can sink effort into to build a habit of becoming more active.

Do you really feel lazy or is it more of a constant lack of energy?
>>
>>18127577
Wtf does it matter? If it gets harder you just learn harder. That's a completely pointless question and you should just have confidence in yourself and your resolve to see this through.

What if it does get hard? Are you gonna quit now and avoid meeting any difficulty? And if it doesn't get harder you're just needlessly worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about. It's lose lose so just have the confidence to not be a lil' bitch.
>>
>>18127577
Idk where you're from but in my country im at best IT university and its hard but if you study hard and smart its possible considering you have a good background in math and even more important, "strong" way of thinking
>>
>>18127593
I'm female and I keep hearing people say there are no women in their upper level classes. I hear about the rampant sexism at tech companies and startups so I wonder if it's even a line of work I should pursue. I'm also old (30s) and hear about the ageism that goes with tech as well.

I work full time and quitting is not an option, so time commitment is a concern. My last relationship was ruined by my going back to school (for an associates degree) so I'm concerned about the work life balance too, should I ever get another relationship.

So yes, it getting too difficult is a concern. I do want to know what I'm getting into.

Also: fuck you.
>>
>>18127586
Thanks for response

I never thought about the option that im not challenged enough.

I have a lot of interests besides current college courses, like game and mobile app dev but i never stick to it because of lack of motivation

I dont think that i suffer lack of energy because im lifting 3-4 times per week and play sport for college team and getting enough sleep. Im just constantly feeling lazy to get stuff done, be that attending courses, going to work, getting to the gym sometimes etc etc
>>
>>18127598
It depends on the company, really. I'm in CS and have a female family member in CS as well. She says it's usually less sexist for women at bigger companies because they have legitimate HR resources and startups tend to be bro-y. That being said, tech as a whole somehow attracts a lot of people with very liberal viewpoints and everyone I've met in CS has always had an inclusive attitude.

Additionally, I spend a lot of time interviewing potential candidates and one thing that's clear is that female candidates tend to have much lower self confidence, which I've always found discouraging because a lot of them were great and were just undervaluing themselves.

The previous post was pretty harsh but the idea is right: your self confidence and resolve are crucial and are gonna be a huge asset to you through school and in the job hunt process.
>>
>>18127609
I write out lists of adjectives I want to describe me, then I try to focus on little things everyday to build towards those adjectives.

For instance, I want to be well read, so I try to read 25 pages a day. It's not a lot, but it's doable. I often wind up reading more than 25 pages, it's just getting up the motivation to read that first page that's hard. And if I stick to the 25 pages, I get a book read every 2 weeks or so, which is way more than what I'd read if I was just all "ah fuck it."

Look into the x effect on reddit.
>>
>>18127628
>Additionally, I spend a lot of time interviewing potential candidates and one thing that's clear is that female candidates tend to have much lower self confidence

This is definitely an issue for me.

But it is nice to hear a positive take on females in CS. I usually hear such horror stories from CS all around, especially for women. It's extremely discouraging.

Thanks!
>>
>>18127650
females on my college have it easier on coding practices and examinations because they're a minority in IT and it's current political climate that's pushing this narrative.

>>18127631
Thanks again, i'm looking into it right now and it seems good, i think that's what i need currently
>>
>>18127679
How do they have it easier? The professors actually grade them easier? Are you sure about this? Or is this just some "being female is life on easy mode" narrative that you're pushing?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.