[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>English Literature graduate >it's nearly been a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Iri985G.jpg (9KB, 346x250px) Image search: [Google]
Iri985G.jpg
9KB, 346x250px
>English Literature graduate
>it's nearly been a year since I graduated
>worked at a bar for a while
>left to move somewhere with better job opportunities
>been jobless for 2 months now

So I've been rejected from two assessments in b2b sales due to autism, and I'm wondering what to do. I'm learning how to code, and I'd like a job as a junior web developer, but it's going to take some time until I get a certificate/experience.

Should I just go back to working at a bar, or is there something else that I can do with my degree in the meantime?
>>
>>18125204
Employers are suspicious of resume gaps so make sure you're filling it with something, whether that be work, volunteering, training or even travel to an economically relevant place.

English degree has a decent number of jobs related to it, pretty much anything involving writing you're good for. I don't know what it's like in your country but a lot of graduate jobs, especially in government, don't seem to care much what you studied as long as you have a degree, so maybe look into that.

If you want to make a career out of coding you can learn some of that yourself but eventually you'll need to do some formal training, if only to get the piece of paper saying you have the skills.
>>
>>18125221
Thanks for the advice.
I live in the UK, and I've applied for some HR roles in the NHS (government healthcare), as well as some copywriting jobs elsewhere. I was thinking of meeting up with some friends to build up a basic portfolio for copy, but it's only a plan right now.

I'm taking Harvard's CS50x course on edX and I've paid in advance for the certificate - for motivation mostly. I've heard that some people have gotten employed straight out of completing the course online with no other experience.
>>
ayy lmao
u will still know literally nothing about writing decent code after that edx course, nigga, and that certificate wont get u a job
>>
>>18125261
Thanks for the bump
>>
You have a Literature degree, why don't you go into Journalism or something.

Also lie, lie on your CV, lie as much as you can, you're not being judged by any God and you have one life to make it so who the fuck cares
>>
>>18125278
Journalism today is just maintaining presence on social media, rehashing comments from a reddit threads, and shilling shit. I'm also not a special snowflake so I can't make every topic about my sexuality or my race. I'm pretty objective, and I don't take sides politically. In modern journalism, money is earned in clicks, and you have to be as controversial as possible.

I've considered it before, but everyone in the field advises people to never go into journalism.
>>
File: TechWriter.png (49KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
TechWriter.png
49KB, 260x260px
Can anyone vouch for technical writing?
>>
>>18125221
What this guy said about coding and needing a degree is only true at some places.

When you said coding I'm assuming you mean Web Development? Web development agencies in particular don't care about formal education. They have numerous clients using or requesting completely different technologies. They value your ability and willingness to learn, and if their smaller your ability to communicate with clients like a PM. If you went in there with enthusiasm, with something cool you made, you'd have a really good chance of getting hired without formal training.
>>
>>18125204
What do you mean by autism got you rejected in sales?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.