[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I go to optometry school in the states and take on a debt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1488765821243.jpg (132KB, 855x575px) Image search: [Google]
1488765821243.jpg
132KB, 855x575px
Should I go to optometry school in the states and take on a debt of ~160-180k, became an optometrist with a Dr. beside my name or do an engineering degree (on top of my already attained BSc).

Both will take 4 years, engineering maybe 3 years. I will probably enjoy optometry, may or may not enjoy engineering. The engineering degree will be near free, though I will have to live at home (which I've done all my life, want a change and want to live apart from my parents desu).

t. having a life crisis
>>
How much will you earn with optometry?
>>
One of them is risky. It could potentially ruin your life with debt. How's your family situation? Could you potentially pay off that debt with their help if things go south?

The other is basically free, but you might not enjoy it. The fact that you say you'll PROBABLY enjoy optometry is worrying. Do you ACTUALLY enjoy other things? Maybe think about those...
>>
>>18120643
Graduates earn 80k-115k typically, though I know some graduates who earn 120-130k so it really depends on where you work, salary should max out at 110-120k unless you open your own private clinic in which case you can make anywhere to 0 to anything.

If I do another degree, this time in software engineering from an OKAY school in canada (can't get into waterloo unfortunately because they don't look at highschool grades if you've done undergrad already). After graduation, I have no idea about whether I'd find a job I'd like in the field whereas with optometry it's guaranteed but expensive.

>>18120645
My immediate family is poor af. I have some relatives that are willing to help, though I don't want to rely on them.

The thing is, there are people with families earning like 50k/year with mortgages on homes for 400k and they still make ends meet, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to either.

I'll enjoy optometry but it carries the financial risk to some extent (then again, nobody defaults on their loans apparently). Engineering is something I think I'd like, employment wouldn't be 100% guaranteed though. If say I do engineering and don't like it after 4 years I'll regret not doing optometry.

With optometry, I think at worst I'd have to live quite frugally until I'm 30-32
>>
>>18120656
In terms of loan repayment I've done a little thinking.

Assuming a 100k salary that after taxes is cut to 70k, using liberal spending estimates:

>15k in rent/internet/phone/electric/gas
>7k in food/eating out (liberal estimate)
>4k in leisure activities (buying vidya/going out etc.)
>another 4k on random stuff
>total 30k cost of living at most, very liberal estimate
>however much car payment will be
I'd have 30-40k left over to pay debnts

does this seem like a correct estimate to you guys?
>>
>>18120656
You can earn $100k+ as a software engineer or some other business professional without really expensive education.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.
>>
>>18120636
Go for optometry. Both options require a lot of dedication, and dedication is something you will not have unless you love the subject. Far better to bear the debts than do something "free" and quit midway (since that will cost you time, hurt your mental health, and stain your resume.)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.