[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have serious driving phobia >all advice says "lol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

>have serious driving phobia
>all advice says "lol just practice more bro"
>pretty much "just b urself" but for driving
>go out on a 2-day roadtrip
>first time I've driven in 8 months
>end of first day, get in an accident

Are there people who just can't drive? Should I just give up? I love traveling and roadtrips but I can't drive worth shit. I'm not rich enough to be fine with totalling a few vehicles trying. I also don't have friends or a significant other who can drive for me.
>>
how did you get into this accident?
>>
You're bad at driving.

The way to stop being bad at driving is practice.

You left out all the details of the accident, so I'm going to assume you're at fault and you should not have been driving in that part of town with such little experience.

Go away shitsauce.
>>
>>18119169
Not being able to drive around by yourself is un-American. If youre Eurotrash or a Canuck youre fine.
>>
>>18119173
>>18119174

I was making a left into heavy traffic. imo I shouldn't have done that, I should have just made 3 rights. Police said other person was at fault, because the guy stopped to let me out and the other car went around him and hit me. Still, imo we both dun goofed.

It really doesn't matter. Point is my first time out in 8 months and I get in a crash. Can you really call that just bad luck or am I just a shit driver? I don't know if "just practice bro" will solve whatever the fuck is wrong with me. I have lousy spacial awareness I guess, can't imagine how wide/long my vehicle is, have difficulty in traffic, get lost easily. Even driving down the street I've sideswipped more than a few mirrors. How the hell do you just know how wide your car is and if you have enough room to get past? (Like on a 2-way road that doesn't have center markings, with cars parked on both sides.)

What I'm asking is, can someone just be a shitty driver in a way no practice will cure? I might be overthinking all my close calls or faults, or it could be justified. I know the average person is a shitty, inattentive driver. But somehow they all get along fine.
>>
You were stupid to take a 2 day road trip if you're shit at driving, period. You're to blame for your fobia apparently.

That said, people like you are afraid because they're told of how many ways driving can go wrong, while it's completly safe if you have two neurones and spacial notion enough to open a door with closed eyes without hitting yourself in the face.

Study cars, what they are, how they work, what to do in each emergency situation, then you'll rationalize it and stop being afraid. For christ, practice in low traffic hours, and movd up from there. Don't take a road until you feel completly safe driving in fast traffic lanes in the city, because that is a dangerous thing to do.
>>
If you have your licence, you should be able to do a left turn. How the fuck did you get your licence?
>>
File: 1349304919496.jpg (43KB, 361x438px) Image search: [Google]
1349304919496.jpg
43KB, 361x438px
I know that feel so hard OP.

Most of my fear comes from inability to multitask well and constantly being distracted by my own thoughts though and that I will miss some small cue and cause an accident.

The thought of having to interact with someone after an accident while they are angry also scares me.

There so many small details to driving that I constantly forget or don't know till a passenger points them out I have no idea how I am still alive. Through some miracle I haven't caused or been in an accident in 10 years of driving to and from work though.

When I have to go on a road trip I make sure to look it up on google maps and pick which lane I should be in for the entire trip because just changing lanes is nerve wracking for me.

PROTIP: Get a vehicle that only supports a driver and one passenger. I got a small uncomfortable truck so nobody asks me to drive when its time to go somewhere. Although I do occasionally get asked to pick up large items so maybe a small 2 seater car would be a better idea.
>>
>>18119287
But yea, I am an amerifat so I HAVE to drive.
>>
>>18119287

I'm feeling it.

On the one hand, I could be overthinking everything, and might actually be a fine driver. Or I could be correct and be a horrible driver. I do fine in snow, on country roads, etc. But in traffic I get phobic real bad. Most of it is that the traffic is too dense, too fast, people are too close, driving aggressively, driving distracted, are going to hit me and kill me. But where a good driver could swerve and dodge imbeciles, I don't think I could. And it's really this spacial intelligence/awareness that I lack. I feel like I can't see, I feel like I don't know what's around me.

My ideal life is to travel the country in a van and be a dirtbag, but I'm scared of having an accident and being suddenly homeless. And I don't know how they do it. Are they better drivers than me, or do they just have enough practice/luck? Am I a bad driver or will practice actually fix it? I mean, there's like 10 accidents a day in my city, and thousands of people across the country die in accidents every year. It IS dangerous.
>>
>>18119349
Are you literally me dude?

I have blown right through red lights before simply because I didn't notice them and have been super lucky no ticket or accident.
>>
>>18119497

I can't say I haven't done that before.
>>
My ex had a SEVERE fear of driving. She would go into anxious fits.

I told her suck it up and keep driving. It worked. She drives all over the fuckin place now. Of course an ativan before hand helped the first dozen times
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.