[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not sure whether I should drop out of college. (I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (226KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226KB, 750x750px
I'm not sure whether I should drop out of college.

(I'm 19 by the way, just giving some context)

I want to be a singer/songwriter and I try to spend as much time as possible doing that, but schoolwork feels like it's just getting in the way.

My dream is to drop out and move to NYC where I can rent a studio space and play shows at open mics, etc.
but that's scary.

Last weekend I spent 6 hours in a practice room on Friday and 8.5 hours on Saturday. I would've put more hours in, but I had to do other stuff.

I just don't know if it'll all be worth it in the end, but I want to pursue this dream of mine.

Am I just being naive? How do I reconcile the fact that dropping out and moving to a city is so scary? How do I make ends meet while living there?
>>
https://samweinberg3.bandcamp.com/track/a-momentary-lapse-of-love

Here's some of my music btw. I'm working on recording an album.
>>
You cant make ends meet as a musician in new york city. Everyone and their dog is doing that, you're in a huge sea filled with crushed dreams and up and comers.

That being said, I do enjoy the music it's quite obvious you've put alot of effort into your song writing. Basically, I felt the most liberated In my life when I gave up my dream of being a paid musician and just started doing it as a very very passionate hobby. Music is still my entire life, but now I have a career to pay for my music making.
>>
>>18115963
I appreciate the advice, but I don't want to waste time with a different career when I could be doing music full time. The way I see it, and time spent not working on my music is time wasted.
>>
>>18115989
I'm not going to lie, that's pretty naive, but you ARE only 19 so that's expected.

I'm just saying, your style of music is very very very niche and doesn't make money per se. If you were an EDM producer, then yeah totally that has the potential to make money.

Eventually you'll realize that it's much better to get a job so you can pay for your music making, don't worry I had the exact same mindset as you when i was 19
>>
>>18116007
I'm actually starting to question why I posted this here because I will not take no for an answer.
This is what I'm gonna do even when people are warning me not to. I know what I have to do, and I'm going to do it.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole by refuting your advice, I'm just persistent.
>>
>>18116047
So are all the other starving statistics. Well at the very least it can be an interesting story to tell later down the line
>>
>>18116047
I'm just going to say it right now, there millions of people who are way better than you who aren't making it.

You don't need to move to new york city, you can just start putting your stuff up on youtube. It's not the 90's anymore we have internet. People don't just move to a city and play at bars and make it. You need the internet, and you can do that sitting where you are right now
>>
>>18116057
Ok that's actually a very good point.
>>
If you're going to make it, it's going to be because of youtube/soundcloud. Not because you moved to newyork city, no one does that anymore.

If you cant get big on youtube/soundcloud you definitely cant get big in new york
>>
>>18115931
Drop out, get a job with opportunities to make good bank, then spend all your freetime on your music related stuff. network with people hardcore and you'll make it somewhere kid
>>
People used to move to NYC to 'make it' back when it was a crime-ridden shit hole, which made it affordable. Artists aren't go to NYC anymore, they can't survive there anymore. I don't know how you're going to afford rent there unless you have rich parents to pay it for you. Stay in school, kid. You've watched way too many Hollywood movies and have no idea how the world works.
>>
>>18115931
Ask your Jewish parents to help you out.
>>
Wow look at all the good advice in this thread.

For sure you should follow your music dreams, but everyone is right a lucrative job it's not. You'll have to support yourself with something else. This isn't taking away from your music chances, it makes sure you can continue to live, eat, and buy music shit. The dream is one day music will begin to pay good enough to live off.

The musicians life is a tough one but passion fueled. Also you can go to school for it, helps for being less garbage
>>
Follow your dream of being a musician, but have a back up degree/skill to sustain yourself if things go to shit.
>>
>>18115931
Why not take advantaget of where you are now? Most likely there is some places you could play live nearby your college. Also why not try to find, befriend, or hire other college students with maybe skills in different media to help get your music on youtube and other music sites. Does your school have a radio station or music podcasts or anything? There may be resources you have access to now for free or cheap that could be harder to find and more costly outside of college. Good luck.
>>
just made a video for one of my songs.

thoughts?

https://youtu.be/-gxuPpIJM7o
>>
>>18116395
you arent terrible but there is absolutely nothing about you that makes you stand out
>>
You should make a blog about this.
You seem pretty determined to try it out so whether it'll last 2 months or 2 years it'd be really interesting to follow your story of someone trying to make it in NY.
It would fix the whole holllywood perception and actually tell the story of all the struggles and small things that just don't get mentioned in the movies.
And if you're blog somehow became popular it might also help your music become more noticed.
It couldn't hurt. Please share a link here if you decide to do it.
>>
>>18116432
that's a good idea!
I might make a vlog series about it
>>
>>18116435
Definitely do consider it!
Even if it gets shitty in the middle after the new and exciting move to a new place and just before anything big or any conclusions happen it'd still be worth doing i believe.
I just suggested blog as it wouldn't take as much time/effort to do and would be easier to maintain during the slow weeks
>>
>>18116454
but do people still read blogs?
I feel like videos would be more share-able and it'd be interesting to watch
>>
>>18116463
Yeh I guess so. Whatever you prefer will work better.
>>
I''m a classically trained musician. Stay in school. If you really want to, take 1 year off, work some job and do music, but only because you're being a bit naive about this and it's better to see for yourself.

The truth is you probably won't make it as only a singer songwriter. the music itself is only about 30% of 'making it'. The other 70% is being marketable and knowing the right people. There is no 'art' in the singer songwriter sense. Don't think about it like that.

Everyone I know who is in a band that's mildly succesful is working a main job and doing music as a passion.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.