[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a job opportunity to move from PA to Portland, OR.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Voyager.jpg (4MB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
Voyager.jpg
4MB, 2500x1667px
So I have a job opportunity to move from PA to Portland, OR. Its within my company, I'd get a raise and then they'd adjust salary for living conditions. I still don't know what they plan on giving me but I make about 45k now and I imagine it will be in the 55-60k ballpark with how they're talking. I was kind of excited for this but now I'm having second thoughts. I think the only people that are supportive of me are my coworkers, and they already found a replacement for me. My family took it crappy, with my brother and sister telling me that I should reconsider because I will miss the kids growing up and just pointed out every negative about it. My mom just broke down and cried and kept repeating "its too far.."

My friend told me to never ask him for a favor again because he thought I was sticking him on my last couple months of rent when I never planned too. That hurt. unexpected, but whatever. He later apologized but is distant.

Its like fuck. I almost don't want to go now, but at the same time it seems like everyone hates me now so I probably should just go.

What do you think, /adv/? should I?
>>
Are they paying your moving expenses?
>>
>>18113813

Gotta make these choices on your own, bruh. I live in Portland and I can tell you its an over priced rat trap. Housing is expensive, transportation is cramped, people are pretentious and shitty. Its like the 7th circle of hell if it were populated by hipsters and vegans. I don't really enjoy it here at all.

Then again, thats just me. We don't really know much about your or your life so any attempt at weighing the pros and cons for you would be drastically uninformed.

Gotta figure this one out on your own, brosiff.
>>
>>18113813
I'd stay with family and friends. Family is way more important than $$$. Those that "hate" you and who are actually sad to lose a friend like you will appreciate even more when you tell them you decided to stay because of friends and family. Those who still hate you were never your friends to begin with.
>>
>>18113813

if family and your relationships are important, stay. because if you move it will change. your mom and family are sad because you'd see them maybe twice a year. maybe. and as much as we pretend to be just as close to our parents, moving out and living far away changes a lot.

but if you feel the desire to start over and be a new person, go for it, just remember that coming back will likely not be the same.

me, i chose moving out. i didnt have any friends to leave behind as we were a military family that moved a lot anyway, so i only left my family behind.

im pretty comfortable with the distance between us.
>>
>>18114499

this.

it really depends on your personal independence level, and your goals.

where do you see yourself in life in 5 years?
>>
>>18113837
Dude I live in Miami and you just described here too, I think that's just big cities
>>
>>18113813
Depends, is this an opportunity you're not gonna find where you are? Is there more room for upward mobility or are you just moving for a 10k raise?
>>
>>18114524
it is big cities.
they are all the same.
high prices, douchey people, hip $$$ hangout spots.

the REAL question, as I see it is this:

Will OP have the chance to further his career in his hometown? Will there be similar promotions, maybe not this year, but in one to two years? Will he be stuck earning 40K something or will he be able to move up the salary ladder?

If moving is really the only way to progress his career, he doesn't have much choice if he ever wants a family of his own.

Also guys, he ALREADY SAID YES. Do you know how stupid and irresponsible he is going to look now if he changes his mind? He even said they already found a replacement!

Sounds like he has no choice.

But it also seems like OP never read any of this thread.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.