[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start a conversation, and didn't know where to.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 0

I want to start a conversation, and didn't know where to. And in fact the content of the conversation will help me understand things, so we might consider them advice.

So this site is fairly "geeky" what with its chinese cartoons, passion for comics, games, manga and everything else.

Now generally the people who harbour a strong passion for this kind of stuff, and who are labeled geeks, are seen as either very intelligent, but socially inept, or very immature AND socially inept.

I suppose you might have been in contact with quite a few people who's interest mostly revolve around escapist fantasy and the likes, (by frequenting shops or cons or forums) and I was wondering what you thought of them. Mostly intelligent people with an ability for complex analysis, or rather brainless consumers?
>>
>>18112556
Coincidentally, I just met a guy who corresponds to a type of cliche I didn't know was actually real

>overweight
>only dresses in super hero themed t-shirts
>can't stand criticism of his favorite franchises
>values fanservice and superficial elements above actual depth in his entertainment
>generally shit taste
>generally low self esteem
>will consume the products of his favorite company even if they're bad and he hates them

He also dates a girl who's the same, but more "girl cliche" (loves Buffy, worships Whedon). And is generally quite agressive and mean to him or her entertainment, and mixes criticism with rants.

As a whole there seems to be a majority of pretty normal people in this type of hobbies, and then you have the truly passionate ones who either gobble it up no matter what, or dissect it and mix it with other subjects to become more complex as people.
>>
>Mostly intelligent people with an ability for complex analysis, or rather brainless consumers?
The first turned, or turning into the second. You waste your potential by using it on escapist interests.
>>
There seems to be a tendency to be maladjusted people.

I've noticed that, and quite frankly I find that it's not a big deal if they manage to grow out of it, in the sense that they get interested in things outside of their hobby, and use that to get a broader perspective.
>>
I'm not sure what your question is, but it seems to me that there is a dillitantish quality to anime/comic/video people. So much of what they like is fashion, and it doesn't help that they always seem to conform to a certain manner of dress and physical appearance. As opposed to people who are classic geeks who may actually read novels or theoretical nonfiction. To me any kind of genre whore is basic.
>>
>>18113079
>certain manner of dress and physical appearance.
This.

I bumped into a girl today and
>goth dress
>leather black metal shoes
>Nightmare before christmas bag
>MLP plushie tied to that bag
>purple hair

I swear, she might actually even consider herself a "feminist".

The funny thing is, they all THINK they're special and different from all the "normies". Girls especially like to show how special they are from the generic, hot, gossipy, boring popular girls.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.