[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My life is completely directionless. I just turned 33. Since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 16-wandering-mind.w536.h357.2x.jpg (45KB, 1072x714px) Image search: [Google]
16-wandering-mind.w536.h357.2x.jpg
45KB, 1072x714px
My life is completely directionless.

I just turned 33. Since graduating high school 15 years ago I've had a lot of jobs. I was a labourer, a soldier, a business owner, customer service, tech support... I keep bouncing from one job to another because I just see them as a means of sustaining myself, but within a couple of years I always become so unbearably miserable with my work that I feel I have no choice but to leave and try to find something new so that I'll at least feel excited again for a few months.

2 years ago I left my last job as a security guard after 5 years of steady work because I felt like it was never going to get me anywhere (we were all getting pay cuts because a new company took over the contract). I decided to start attending University at the age of 31, without any clear idea of what my actual goal was. I just figured that having a degree would give me more options.

Unfortunately I've always been much better with words than with numbers, so I felt I had to settle for an arts degree (english, specifically). Now I'm just about 2 years into my degree, and I have to say that I find this intolerable. I hate classes, I hate reading all the goddamn time, I hate being poor, and I hate listening to pretentious kids ponder over literature all day.

I'm at a point where I feel like something has to change, but I don't know what. I can't think of any job that feels or sounds "right" to me. I don't know what I'm doing or even what I'm trying to do. I just want to find a path that doesn't make me incredibly depressed when I imagine staying in the same line of work for 20+ years, but I know that if I don't find stability soon I'll probably never be able to afford retirement. I have no money saved because all of my jobs have been very low wage.

How do you find the right path? Do most people just pick a random job and stick with it, and try to find happiness elsewhere in the life? I don't want to be bouncing around between minimum wage jobs when I'm 50.
>>
>>18112287
You and me both.
Male, 31.
I see people investing their money on fortune 500 companies, going self employed, all that nice stuff. I can't even begin to save up enough to invest in a small business, it's always something, and I'm always broke.

I look everywhere for an escape, power washing company? no, make sandals and sell them on ebay...no, invest the money on a soldering kit and start building circuits and sell stuff online..no, save..save! aw shit, wasted another 20$ on burger king..

meh. sometimes I wish I was a farmer out there not worrying about all this.
>>
>>18112287
Like it or not, a degree, any degree, gives you an amount of flexibility that people without can never have. Tons of jobs don't even care what your degree is, only that you have one. I'd say stick it out man. You're halfway there.
>>
>>18112287
Shoulda picked STEM faggot.

No really, I'm in a similar boat. I'm 32 and I have never had a job above "minimum wage" (no such thing in my country, but I've always been poor af and basically a bottom feeder). But I started a STEM degree at university (tuition costs and part gime wage greatly cut my standard of living) 4.5 years ago and now I'm almost through. I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Deal w/ your shitty life choices or change the direction yourlife is going.
>>
I feel in a similar boat, similar age range. I'm thinking of trying an open university degree soon, but theres other things i want to do too, i'd love to try my own business, thats one serious notch i want on my belt.

I'd also love to make a game, and while i'm sure plenty of people will say just make one in your bedroom, i have trouble working at home, and honestly i'd love to be able to afford to rent a cheap office unit to work on stuff in.

I guess i really feel paralysed at the prospect of doing something on my own, i really need a partner who's able to take similar risks to me.
>>
>>18112287
I don't think there is a right path, I think you just pick something that is going to work, do it for a few years until some other better opportunity comes along.

Personally, I'm 30 and bad with numbers too. I ended up going for a science degree though(radiologist tech) because it pays well and only takes 2 years to complete. I don't see myself doing it for more than 3 years though. I just want to buy a nice house somewhere and be left alone to make art and hang out with my friends.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.