[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I dropped out of high school due to mental health

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_ojeps3DpfA1vm3584o1_1280.jpg (110KB, 554x693px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojeps3DpfA1vm3584o1_1280.jpg
110KB, 554x693px
Hey /sci/

I dropped out of high school due to mental health reasons and then got my GED a year later. In highschool, i was the guy who never did homework but then got A's on every test and exam.

I'm 21 now and I'm really regretting not giving a fuck in highschool because now that I'm considering going back to school (college) I feel really behind and i'llprobably have to retake some a bunch of 101 classes that i did in HS (not a huge deal)

A little bit about myself: Ive played music since i was 4 and i can play 13 different instruments. on top of music my interests are physics, computer science, astronomy. biology, medicine.

I would like to have some sort of science career in one of these mentioned fields and I'd really appreciate any advice I could get on where i should start/how i could prepare for college.
>>
>>18107821
also didnt mention, I have been IQ tested and i was like 130 and that was when i was 16
>>
>>18107821
Similar position
20 years old
Won a decent award
Took 70 credit hours in HS
Dropped out of college due to being bipolar
I'm pretty good at math
Add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044134206/
Or skype
Detectivejelly

I'm probably a bit ahead of you in math and science, but probably I could help
>>
>>18107823
Also I got pretty into music as a youth as was pretty talented. Violin, piano, and guitar were the main ones, but I screwed around on others. I've also gotten into art in the past and several other hobbies that I ended up quitting.
>>
>>18107821
gpa in highschool was 2.1 because I didn't gaf and just wanted to watch anime
>>
>>18107823
Thanks I appreciate the response! I added you on steam
>>
>>18107821
bumpin
>>
>>18107821

>I would like to have some sort of science career in one of these mentioned fields and I'd really appreciate any advice I could get on where i should start/how i could prepare for college.

Get a "for dummies" book on Algebra and git gud. Do the same for Geometry and Trigonometry before moving into Calculus. This could probably be done within a year IF you devote about twelve hours every week. From there go to a JC then do it all over again, except this time for a grade. Go for either a mathematics or biology. Personally, I'd stay away from medicine on the basis that becoming a licensed doctor is very fucking hard and not worth most peoples' time (only do it if you want to commit all your free time to it and you enjoy changing bedpans). Make friends (say by volunteering to tutor disabled kids at local highschools) so you can build a reference catalog.

From there you'll be able to get into most state schools easily, if not a top university.
>>
Go to community college and take pre reqs. Save some money at expense of university jew. Figure out what you're good at. Get an advisor and meet with them regularly.

Get an internship in a lab if you can if there are any private companies near by if you can. Even washing dishes for free. Find out if you like science.

Transfer and do same at university. Welcome to having a resume and easier time finding a job.
>>
>>18107821
Unless you end up going to some shit uni, all that "I was always gifted but I never really tried" crap won't mean a thing because you'll be competing with others who are not just more gifted than you but actually have a good work ethic and weren't lazy in high school. Better pick up some books or whatever online resources you can find and start catching up, because math and the sciences are not things you can do well in at uni without studying.
>>
>>18107821

You just have to grow up and become a functional adult, although it's not an easy process.

The pre-university educational system fails precocious children by not challenging them enough and so they never develop a work ethic and the ability to concentrate which then sets them up to crash and burn in tertiary education.

The upside is that life will actually be VERY easy for when you eventually learn study habits.
>>
>>18107831
how do i grow up and become a functional adult?
>>
Same shit here. I dropped out of pre-IB and high school at 14 and dicked around until last year. Got my GED in September at 20 and started with condensed courses at a CC.

Start now. Find a reputable community college that lets you take CLEP exams and place into classes/test into higher level ones. Join an honors program if they have one. There are a lot of good schools for science that will accept CC credits as long as the class has an equivalency at the larger college. Literally yesterday Hopkins came to my CC to scout honors students. If you work your ass off, you can make it.

The other benefit of starting at a CC is that you can take condensed courses for most entry-level shit like communications. My college has courses starting in March - you need to get on that shit. I knocked out 12 credits of garbage gen eds in 7 weeks. If you start now, then you have time to take CLEP/departmental exams and can get to the good stuff over the summer. You can literally knock out an entire year of college with CLEP credits and gen eds before the fall semester, BUT YOU HAVE TO START NOW.
>>
>>18107832

Suffer through difficult life experiences and use the knowledge that free will doesn't exist to stop regretting things thereby enabling yourself to be passionate about things with no ego.

Also go to University and don't communicate with your family unless strictly necessary it will force you to become independent.
>>
An IQ of 130 is more than enough to catch up. High school math is quite easy, really. For uni, im a major in pure maths. Things keep on being baby tier until year 3, at least for me. So yeah. Enjoy your years in uni and party hard lad! Uni is the best time to get wasted and high af and get tons of posay
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.