[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, I'm diabetic and obese. I want to change my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: pepe (63).jpg (26KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
pepe (63).jpg
26KB, 402x402px
Hey /adv/,

I'm diabetic and obese. I want to change my diet in order to lose weight, but that would mean dosing down my insulin as well. The problem is that my doctors refuse to cooperate (I honestly think they dont want to stop selling me a lot of insulin or something). At the moment I'm gaining weight and my blood sugar is on the high side most of the time, every suggestion to dose down my diet and insulin is ignored, instead they want me to use more insulin.

I'm not sure what to do. The most obvious solution would be to switch doctors. I can do that, but I can't switch clinic, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure what you guys can do for me, but I am at a loss myself. I could try to dose it down myself, but I'm scared I'll fuck up my insulin dose or something. Should I just try to be forceful towards my doctor?
>>
Wouldn't eating less and light exercise help you lose weight regardless of your insulin dose?
>>
>>18105148
It would, but if I eat less without dosing down my insulin, I'll have low blood sugar all the time.
>>
>>18105141
be more specific

why does your doctor refuse to cooperate

did they give a reason why they felt reducing insulin dose and calorie intake would be a bad idea?

It's far more likely they're worried about the repercussions of rapid weight loss or a reduced dose of insulin with a quickly-failed diet.
>>
>>18105151
I think honestly just start out with light exercise and a small decrease in your food intake, no need to make a drastic change.
This'll help your body cope with the change better and give your and your doctors enough time to lower your insulin dose.
Basically, do something, no matter how small. Don't wait.
Also remember that you're doing a lifestyle change, take it nice and slow, if you make any sweeping changes, there's a possibility that you'll undo them relatively quickly too.
>>
>>18105160
Nope, they just ignore what I say. It's like I'm talking to a brick wall
>>
>>18105141
I recommend a low carb diet for you, seriously. LCD gets meme'd alot, but in your case it would help you out alot with evening out your blood sugar level and keeping it consistent. Many people on /r/keto speak about effectively curing their diabeetus. I know there's a difference between type 1 and 2 however, and I'm not sure if your type 1 can have as happy ending as those folks had with theirs.

Worth a try though. Run it with your doc, so you don't die. Test your shit, if you don't feel good then stop, or eat more carbs. Just walk a lot outside, and carb count.
>>
>>18105184
>Nope, they just ignore what I say. It's like I'm talking to a brick wall
There's two sides to every story and I'm betting their side is a little more compelling than nothing.

Still, assuming your assessment is accurate you should get a second opinion from another physician.

You also shouldn't stay with a physician you don't feel is giving you proper treatment.
>>
>>18105352
I've switched doctors but it doesn't really change anything. Like I said, I cant switch clinics, because my insurance doesn't really allow it.

Like I said, I've mentioned eating less, but they always return to wanting to increase my insulin dose.
>>
>>18105393
Your local doctors are not the representatives of God on this Earth, and nor do have a monopoly on medical/health knowledge. Do your own research, maybe go ask medfags for opinions on that /askdocs/ board. And just do your course of action based on what your blood monitoring says and how you're feeling. I don't understand how your docs would want to keep the status quo, if you're obese. Either you're not telling us something, or they just don't want to deal with your weight loss and possible ramifications. Which again, would be reason to seek out new docs.
>>
>>18105393
Cont.

Surely, there are articles/guides about dosing for your beetus when undergoing weight loss. You don't need a doc to hold your hand.

I don't have the beetus myself, but I was morbidly obese, and I just calorie counted, and did 45 mins of cardio 6 days a week. Pounds flew off, and I visited the doc just as a formality and to get a pat on the back.
>>
>>18105453
>>18105438
I can do my own research, I'm just scared I'll fuck up my doses.
>>
>>18105393
If multiple doctors are telling you the same thing then chances are they're right.

Next time be more aggressive when asking and demand explanations

It may just be that trying to lose weight and lower insulin woulf be dangerous for your blood sugar. It may be that they have no faith in your ability to eat less and don't want to risk the consequences of lower insulin dosage. It may be another concern entirely

Find out
>>
>>18105484
I don't understand the problem. Wouldn't you self-medicate based on your readings? Sounds to me like it's a simple algebra equation. I know from experience, that based on my hunger cravings, my sugar levels would drop a lot after exercise or a prolonged fast. Rather than deal with the hunger pangs and headaches, I would just have an apple or whatever, every couple of hours. I would try to get low GI food in the morning or before a workout to help me make it to lunch/dinner without crashing. If I couldn't exercise one day, or felt really shitty, or my muscles ached, then I'd get more protein and carbs in to replace my glycogen.

So yeah, I just did my own diet adjustments based on how I was feeling on a given day. After losing like 70 lbs, I noticed I would get dizzy very often, I stopped taking my blood pressure meds, and I felt fine. Again, no hand holding needing.

Because your situation is more unique, I won't say that you'll as free to do what you want. But the status quo is also retarded. Anything is better than being fat. It's not helping your beetus.
>>
>>18105509
It's an equation, but the insulin is a mix of fast working in insulin and slow working insulin.
>>
>>18105541
>>18105541
>fast
Don't fast, and medicate on the assumption that you need mostly slow working insulin. If you diet right, then I doubt you will fuck up and have some episode.

Look, you sound a bit anxious in regards to your health. Unless you're really retarded, then you will not die or land in the hospital. Have your monitor on you at all times. Keep enough insulin for that day, keep an apple or simple sugar - whatever in your bag, if you go out. Monitor and medicate based on your numbers. Test more often then you would, if you decide to diet. I would suggest you eat nothing but low GI foods, and eat 5 smaller meals so you're at a constant sugar level. No intense cardio or P90X shit. No huge calorie deficit. Because your pancreas is fucked up, stick to no more than -500 to 700 calorie deficits. If you maintain at 3000, then you now eat 2300.

Those would be my suggestions. I am not a health expert, though. I've taken health and Nutrition classes at college, a long time ago. They always hammered in "low GI" if you have blood sugar problems/are dieting/feel hungry all the time.
>>
>>18105184
Then get a new doctor
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.