[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, retard here. Just did my first breakjob today, with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: stopping-without-brakes.jpg (66KB, 624x468px) Image search: [Google]
stopping-without-brakes.jpg
66KB, 624x468px
Hey /adv/, retard here.

Just did my first breakjob today, with help. We replaced both front rotors and breaks. Other guy helping me has only done one other break job before. There were a few things that we did and did not do that have me kind of paranoid.

I bought brake grease and tried to use it on one of the caliper pins but it made it harder to move. Didn't bother trying to do it for the other 3 pins.
My torque wrench was MIA so my helper said fuck it and just tightened the caliper bolts and bracket bolts as hard as he could, now they are spinning.
We didn't grease the ends or the back of the brake pads, so no grease on the sliders or between caliper and brake pads.
When we were putting the wheels back on, helper tightened one wheel on the ground while the other one was still in the air, also not torqued.

So, am I going to die? Will I be okay or should I just bring my car to a pro?

tl;dr babbies first brake job, no lube on anything, stripped bolts possibly, am I going to die?
>>
>>18101014
honestly thats probably the same kind of shitty service youd get at a nigger ass jiffy lube
>>
>>18101014
All things considered, I'd be more confident having my brakes fixed by someone who could spell brakes.
>>
Dont they show this on YouTube
>>
Greasing the pins really shouldnt make it harder to go back in. And the grease prevents corrosion so the next time you do brakes itll come out. I have never greased the rotors or pads. In fact that grease wouldnt even last long because of the friction of braking. Hand tool tightening the bolts and pins is fine. As for lug nuts ideally youd want to torque (yes with the tire on the ground, if other tires are not on the ground really doesnt matter) it to your cars specs but tightening it with a tire iron is not going to kill you. Dont over torque because if you get a flat tire you will need to get that off most likely with only a tire iron.

Keep doing your own car work. Its way cheaper and you learn more and more.
>>
>>18102028
Just noticed you said they were spinning. Were you able to just pull it back out? Did all of them spin, pins and the bolts? Obviously you dont want to leave them just like that. You need replace all messed up parts. Getting new pins for just one side is about $10 and im sure bolts are about the same. If they are stripped you might need either new pins/bolts (whatever is stripped), new brackets, or worse case scenario new calipers depending on make and model of your car.

Im no mechanic and without seeing it in person i really cant give that great of advice. Brakes are one of the easiest things to do on cars and I've done a bunch. Keep doing your own work. Dont be intimidated by it. If it is something you really think is beyond you than bring it in. Youtube is great for reference but you might not find exactly what you are looking for. I read alot of forums aswell when looking up how to do stuff on cars.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.