[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to acquire a Heightened Received Pronunciation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: UK-union-flag.png (107KB, 2400x1575px) Image search: [Google]
UK-union-flag.png
107KB, 2400x1575px
I would like to acquire a Heightened Received Pronunciation. You know, the upper-class british accent.

See example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSwqbhjLyrY

Any advices? I should also say that I'm not a british native.
>>
I recommend taking a trip to London and just hang around the streets and go into pubs and such. Also, take notes from this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX_h3vczc7Q
>>
File: C2xK2XPWQAABeDM.jpg (91KB, 1200x670px) Image search: [Google]
C2xK2XPWQAABeDM.jpg
91KB, 1200x670px
go to a professional dialect coach
they usually work with actors

if you can't, or don't have the money, there are lots of guides online for it but a large amount of them are targeted toward american speakers of english/people with american accents

learn IPA pronunciations to help with all this

you probably arent going to hear as much of the posh accent just walking around london as suggested by >>18100754
>>
>>18100744
>upper class British accent
>not even upper class British
>not even British
What for? You're just going to sound incredibly pretentious
>>
>>18101081
This. Learned the based transatlantic accent instead.
>>
Don't do it, you're going to sound like a fucking idiot.
>>
>>18100744
why not just learn manchester working class accent and hang with the lads? fuck them posh bastards yeah
>>
>>18101126
>hanging with plebs
>>
>>18101126
>>18101314

Even better

Learn Scottish Glaswegian like me
>>
>>18100744
Learn the vocal patterns by listening
Produce the sounds using the tip of your tongue (takes practice)

Oh and record yourself, you never sound how you think you sound ;V
>>
OP here. I'm reading all your comments, guys. Thanks!

I asked about this in another thread, but I've got no answer. Is it correct for a posh person to pronounce "even" as "eivn", "over" as "euve" and "don't" as "deun't"? I have heard it somewhere, but I am not really sure if it's ok.

>>18102229
>Oh and record yourself, you never sound how you think you sound ;V
Absolutely. I tried this long ago and it helped me to correct some huge mistakes.
>>
Who are you trying to impress? This is a serious question, trying to pass yourself off as a well spoken toff to a genuine toff is unlikely to go well.

But to appear that way to Americans probably just means watching a bunch of Ealing comedies and acting the part rather than getting the accent spot on
>>
File: 1485283914067.png (361KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
1485283914067.png
361KB, 500x438px
>>18102430
>Who are you trying to impress?
Good question. I never really thought about it. Perhaps I am just a pretentious guy (I write using a fountain pen, after all). But this time it is simple: I like this accent more than any other.
>>
>>18100744
Stiff upper lip English, Sir
>>
test
>>
>>18102703
Is this a cliché or something?
>>
>>18100744
Unless your royalty people will just take the piss out of you for having a upper-class accent
>>
>>18104770
Phrase during the wars. Means keep under control, dont panic etc. Basically another keep calm and carry on
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.