[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you overcome overprotective parenting? I'm a 25-year-old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: wnrGTAm.jpg (111KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
wnrGTAm.jpg
111KB, 500x749px
How do you overcome overprotective parenting?

I'm a 25-year-old male neet with zero life skills and zero drive. All throughout my life I had to fight tooth and nail just to have friends and be able to go out and do things, with my mother keeping me at home with her as much as she possibly could. Around 19 or 20 I realized that she was never going to let me be my own person, and the constant arguments and tension at home were constantly wearing me down and exhausting me. So I gave in. I stopped talking to my friends, because it was too painful for me to be invited to things with them and always have to turn them down, for reasons they and I couldn't understand, reasons that I was never given. I felt like I couldn't be the type of friend I should have been, like I wasn't able to live up to the kinds of friends they were to me, and instead of constantly letting them down by being forced to turn down doing things with them, I chose to stop giving them (and myself) false hopes altogether.

Since then I have basically become a complete recluse. I want to make it on my own but don't know how. Living here I'm not permitted to cook my own meals because I might cut or burn myself. I'm not permitted to drive at busy times of the day because I might get in a wreck. Every single person that drives down the street is watched like a hawk by my mother who springs up from whatever she's doing because god forbid someone drive a car by our house. I have never mowed a lawn because my father never showed enough interest in me to bother teaching me basic shit, and when I asked if I could, he would always say "Maybe..." with a goofy stupid fucking grin on his face and then never talk to me for the rest of the day. I don't know how to do fucking anything, I have no friends, I have no self-confidence, and I feel completely trapped.

How do you take steps forward when someone in your life is constantly holding you down? Please help.
>>
>>18098303
Leave your fucking crazy mother. She wants to have an emotional incestious relationship with you.
>>
Accept it or join the military.
>>
Some more info about my mom:

She also has no friends. She lived in a different state for most of her life, and the family had to move 2 years before I was born. In her entire 27 years here she has made only a handful of friends and acquaintances, none of which she speaks to anymore. I don't think she ever made an effort to reach out to them either.

From time to time she brings up how she had to raise her siblings because her parents were never around and left her to take care of everything around the house. She says that because her parents were never around, she wanted to make sure that she was always around for me and my sister. Which is all fine and well, but she takes it to the opposite extreme. Every time I say something about how I wish I had been able to do more in high school or how my friends were good people (she always suggested they were bad for me to be around) she gets really sad and disappointed and asks if she was a good mom. I don't have it in me to tell her that I think she stifled me. I think it's something that's deeply personal to her. She only has our immediate family and I think it would crush her if she found out how I really feel.

My dad was a bit more permissive growing up, but always acted like he couldn't be bothered by anything going on in my life. Whenever I would ask him things he'd always give off this attitude of "why are you asking me? I don't care". He never approached me for help with work around the house or anything and never showed any interest in teaching me any useful skills. Whenever this is brought up it's always my fault for not going to him. Like any child is going to go up and have immense interest in doing fucking chores when his parents won't let him do anything himself without permission and they do everything for him anyway.

Dealing with my dad is easy because we just keep to ourselves, but I have no idea how to deal with my mom about this.
>>
>>18098315
I really hope you're wrong, my sister is like that and molested me when I was little whcih is another reason I want to get the fuck out of this place. She's trapped too and has zero life skills and doesn't know how to make it on her own, and she's 28.
>>
>>18098339
On top of that (just because I'm venting) she became a school teacher in our town and is around little boys every day and it makes me fucking sick. She's been talking about moving out for 2 years now and every time she brings it up she keeps telling me I could go stay with her. She's never been in a relationship and the way she talks about wanting me to live with her creeps me the fuck out. She completely disgusts me and I can't stand being around her.
>>
Oh God, this is me.
>>
Just fucking go outside for a while
>>
File: h3OgOd2.jpg (87KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
h3OgOd2.jpg
87KB, 683x1024px
I know I have to get away from this fucking house but the problem is I don't know how. I have an associates of arts degree from a community college (that took me about 5 years to get due to depression and lack of motivation), but I don't even know what kinds of jobs I can get with it, or what I'm qualified for. The only job I've had was a shitty dead end job as a janitor at a grocery store, and I ended up with terrible hand eczema from the cleaners, which would flare up every single time I went to work. I saved up a ton of money to last me between jobs so I could quit and look for something else but my parents freaked the fuck out when I told them I wanted to quit and it became a massive ordeal, so I stayed for an entire year and a half at the expense of my own health just so I wouldn't get kicked out. It finally got to a tipping point where the eczema was spreading to other parts of my body (I didn't wash my hands well enough before going to the bathroom and it started to show up on my dick) so I finally quit. They stopped talking to me for a few weeks but they just kind of accepted it. I don't want to work any kind of job like that again but I don't know what I'm qualified for, I don't even know where to start. Does anyone know what kind of jobs I could get that aren't retail with a non-specific "associates of arts" degree?
>>
File: qzJ4maP.jpg (41KB, 600x877px) Image search: [Google]
qzJ4maP.jpg
41KB, 600x877px
>>18098391
Sometimes I tell my parents I'm going to get groceries and drive to the park instead (can't openly do that for some reason), and it definitely helps to clear my head, but I still come home to the same problems.
>>
File: XEhBQ5w.jpg (192KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
XEhBQ5w.jpg
192KB, 682x1024px
Shameless self-bump, I could really use a push in the right direction.
>>
>>18098480
Not saying this in a rude way, but have you tried looking for a job?
>>
>>18098535
I don't know what kind of jobs I should be looking for to take advantage of my associate's degree. I can't move out on minimum wage and I don't know where to start looking. Are there places that do skill assessments to help place you?
>>
>>18098558

Your associates doesn't mean shit to anyone except showing that you have enough focus to accomplish slightly complex tasks and enough responsibility to not be a complete useless flake.

You can literally apply to any job that's not highly technical and you could get it if you interview well.
>>
>>18098599
Any suggestions?
>>
Can you move to any other relative? Someone more open, just say to your parents that where their live there isn't job opportunities in your field.
>>
>>18098625
What is your associates in?
>>
Not sure about where you live, but where I'm from a 2 year degree is the minimum for pubic school teaching. The pay sucks, and I'm sure it's no fun dealing with snot-nosed brats all day, but I bet you could teach kindergarten or first grade or whatever.
>>
>>18098846
It depends bro, I'm working with very young kids (7-11) and the experience has been incredible and rewarding. But you are right in one point, for the most part the pay does sucks
>>
>>18098334
Crush her, she's crushing you.
>>
>>18098303
Work on your confidence, ability to stand up for yourself, learn things on the internet, and leave this terrible environment that's killing you. I was in a similar , though way better situation and it was super hard for me, so it'll probably be incredibly hard for you, but you can do it, anon, I believe in you, you can do it.
>>
>>18098303
Get a job. Any job. A McJob if necessary.

Move out. Rent a small furnished apartment.
If you can't cook, eat out while you study a cooking-for-absolute-beginners book.

Say hello to fellow workers or neighbors. Some will say Hello back, and some will chat, and that's how you make friends.

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY FOR ABANDONING YOUR MOTHER. She is responsible for her own craziness, not you.
>>
>missing critical details but the crazy still bleeds out from the text like a corpse hidden in the floorboards above
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.