[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to watch anime but I don't know where to start from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: 1484683948868.jpg (527KB, 1280x1411px) Image search: [Google]
1484683948868.jpg
527KB, 1280x1411px
I want to watch anime but I don't know where to start from suggestions. Tried asking on A but thread was pruned.
>>
Kissanime.ru
>>
>>18097331
Start with your favorite genre and branch out from there. Don't be afraid to watch older stuff.
>>
>>18097350
Thanks sounds like a good plan.
I see something call disappearance of Haruhi at my uncles. Is it legal to watch it online for free?
>>
>>18097364
crunchyroll
kissanime

Asking what to watch is like asking what movie you should watch or what book you should read.
You want drama, comedy, action, romance?
Anyway, /wsr/ is the board that was made for this type of requests.
>>
>>18097364
There are places, but it's the same as anything else. It's either a pay site, ad supported, or illegal. Almost nobody gets in trouble just for watching though.

Also be aware, disappearance of haruhi is quite late in the serries.
>>
>>18097376
Oh okay my bad, and I saw a site called kissnaime but it shows me Russian ads on my computer. Haruhi I hear you don't watch it in order?
>>
>>18097374
My bad I did not know that I usually use this. Thanks I prefer dramas or calm shows. >>18097408
>>
>>18097331
>>18097331

depends on what kind of anime you like. if your answer is
>any anime

then you can just google 'top anime of all time' and watch those.
>>
>>18097532
I prefer dramas or plot twists. I like when there is vast character development.
>>
>>18097624
M A D O K A
A
D
O
K
A
>>
>>18097723
Isn't that just some show like sailor moon? I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
Evangelion. The first anime I watched that actually affected me emotionally.
>>
>>18097751
I wrote that down but I see some called rebuilds, they're just remakes I am guessing?
>>
>>18097757

You should avoid the rebuilds at all costs. The first one is basically just the first 6 episodes of the show condensed into a film, the second one strays extremely away from the show, and the third one is an alternate fucking universe.

Many people think that the rebuilds are actually a sequel to the show, including me.

If they are remakes, then they're fucking terrible.

They fail to match the cozy atmosphere of the show, due to how fast everything happens, there's so much terrible fan service catering to degenerates, and the third one's plot is fucking abhorrent.

What I'm saying is for both fans and newcomers, the rebuilds are trash.
>>
>>18097775
Nge looks pretty good I just finished watching the first episode. I like shinji seems like he will have good character delevopment.
>>
>>18097783
Shinji is manly man of manliest characters.
A total badass.
An alpha role model.
>>
>>18097789
Shinji is a faggot
>>
>>18097624
>vast character development
Ping Pong the Animation (no for real, some of the best characters)
Durarara (honestly I don't like it, but it's really big and the first arc (best) is hevily character driven, very chill too)
Kaiba
Madoka
NGE
Cowboy Bebop
Welcome to the NHK (introverts: the show)
Princess Jellyfish (introverts: the show p2)
>>
File: tumblr_n9fy1vhjmH1qh6swzo1_500.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9fy1vhjmH1qh6swzo1_500.gif
1MB, 500x282px
>>18097801
also Beck (google "Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad") has some pretty decent character development. Art style is a little weird, but not as strange as Ping Pong or Kaiba.
Also Bakemonogatari gets a lot of character praise, personally I found it really weak, not really a beginner show though.
Same director as Kaiba and Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy. Really interesting way of developing characters. Pic related.
>>
If you want to watch a movie anything by Studio Ghibli is recommended.
>>
>>18097812
Thank you!
I've found some good shows Nge
K-on
Haruhi
Nhk
YURU yuri
And some movies I'm going to start watching them tonight.
>>
>>18097801
Ping pong seems like a sports show but I'll put it on my list to watch too thanks. >>18097801
>>18097801
>>
>>18097850
K-On is good for the chills, not much in the character department.

>>18097855
It's surprising how character driven it is. I hate sports too, but there's an impressive cast of characters and they are all developed really well. If you can get past the animation style it's a really enjoyable show.
>>
Just a hint:

https://myanimelist.net

You can save animes you're interested in a list, list the ones you've completed, and search for animes based on ratings/genres.

It may take a while to know what you like. As anon said, don't be afraid to watch old stuff, as there LOT'S of really great "old" anime.

I'd recommend Steins;Gate. It's a drama/sci-fi/adventure anime. Altrough you need to pay attention bc lot's of plot twist and can cause confusion. One of the top rated animes.
>>
>>18097865
>lot's of plot twist
so many plot twists that even the writers get confused and fuck up their own time travel theories. Yayyyy.
>>
>>18097865
I've seen the site I'm going to create a account to save my stuff easier, I just like to record them in a book too.
I'll check that out.
I see something under character development called clannad I'm guessing its a good show entry level?
>>
>>18097850
K-on is your daily dose of calm clumsy girls and their daily club-life. I really recommend it.

If you'd like a romance/drama movie, watch Kimi no Na Wa (it could be a bit hard to find it because it was released in 2016). One of the best things i've ever seen. It also got a fucking awesome animation.
>>
>>18097863
I just finished some of the k-on first season episodes it's pretty calming and relaxing. I'll check out Ping pong later tonight thanks. >>18097863
>>
>>18097877 I like it mainly cause I play instrumens. Also it's pretty relaxing.
>>
>>18097874
If you can stomach harem shit, then yes.
>>
>>18097873
Lmao maybe just ignore one or two plotholes

>>18097874
I've watched both Clannad and Clannad: After story, and really recommend you do so. At least for me, it's in my top 5. However it can hit you really hard: as deep as this anime goes, you'll feel the drama the characters are going through. Awesome anime.
>>
Toradora/Angel Beats
>>
School Rumble
>>
>>18097881
What are some actual music animes? K-On got on my nerves because they play one song and barely practice.
>>
>>18097889
The only thing from seeing the title is the art is odd, other than that it's alright.
>>
File: Y43sLgS.png (262KB, 560x512px) Image search: [Google]
Y43sLgS.png
262KB, 560x512px
>>18097898
>art is odd

>cockroach waifu
>>
>>18097898
Infamous bug eyes is something you have to deal with sometimes.
>>
>>18097897
K-on is more about moe shit than actual music.

For heartbreaking drama with classical music watch Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) (Risk of clinical depression)

For rock genre and odd indie art, BECK.
>>
>>18097904
That's kind of hot thanks
>>
>>18097909
>Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Wasn't a fan

>BECK
Yeah so far that is the only music anime I know. Sora no Woto is kinda close but not really.
Kids on the Slope sounds promising though.
>>
>>18097909
Is k-on just a cutesy show is there any character development
>>
>>18097920
cutesy

Most character stuff I remember is this kind of thing
"Hey we should practice"
"Meh I'm lazy"
"But I want to practice"
"okay fine"

"I don't want to play drums no one can see me."
*plays other stuff*
"Yeah i'll just play drums"
>>
>>18097926
Oh well it seems like something to watch when you're drinking ill keep watching it.
Does it matter if you watch it in English or Japanese?
>>
>>18097929
It's a cute show, so whatever language you think sounds cuter.
I'm a weeb so I would say Japanese.
>>
You should definitely watch Welcome to the NHK. No other anime resonated as deeply with me. It's just filled with feels and issues that people who post on chinese cartoon discussion boards can sympathize with.
>>
>>18097937
Is Naruto worth getting into? It seems pretty long and tedious.
>>
>>18097947
I don't really like action stuff, so I'm the wrong person to ask. Never touched it.
>>
>>18097947

If you're not in middle school anymore then you probably won't like it. If you're dead-set on watching it, just read it instead of going through 100's of episodes, half of which are filler bullshit.

The manga ended a year or two ago, and the show still hasn't caught up.
>>
don't watch at all unless you're ok with being fucked with for watching kids cartoons.
>>
>>18097956
What do you watch?
>>
>>18098015
Sci-Fi, comedy, drama, weird stuff. Here's my top 10:
Kaiba
Cat Soup
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Paprika
Serial Experiments Lain
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Nichijou
Ping Pong The Animation
Welcome to the NHK!
Detroit Metal City
>>
It's all about your tastes, my favorites are:
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Aoi Bungaku Series
Baccano
Cinderella Boy
Golden Boy
Nana
Rurouni Kenshin
School Days (fuck you i liked it)
Serial Experiments Lain
Tenkuu no Escaflowne
Saikano

Movies:
Watch all the Satoahi Kon movies but Perfect Blue is his biggest masterpiece in my opinion, Paprika is second and Millennium Actress third
>>
>>18098081
>School Days (fuck you i liked it)
Every School Days fan should be ashamed of themselves.
>>
>>18098096
I'm not saying it's the best thing ever but it's a nice fresh and dark take on the romance'harem genre. It's refreshing to see and MC who isn't a complete beta
But Nana and Escaflowne also listed are better romance anime
>>
ONE OF US!
ONE OF US!

If you want to download the shows go on nyaa.se . If you want to be a filthy pleb and stream it go on 9anime.to .

I'll give you a list of what I consider to be among the best shows of their genres, so you figure out what you like.
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Gankutsou
Evangelion
Gurren Lagann
Kaiji
Spice and Wolf
Monster
Non non Biyori
Madoka
Mushishi
Rose of Versailles (older)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (older)
>>
>>18098081
I loved Golden Boy
>>
>>18098081
I only started watching anime recently and just finished Cowboy Bebop & I'm halfway through Samurai Champloo and theyre so damn goooood
>>
>>18098141
Watanabe is a pretty solid director. You should check out Space Dandy too.
>>
>>18098144
thanks for the recommendation. will check it out!
>>
>>18098138
It's great, i didn't listed GTO because i didn't finished it but it's another great comedy. Excel Saga is up there too
>>18098141
Watanabe is good but those are really his best works
>>
Berserk, Monster, and Gungrave are the only animes I approve of. The others have all that stupid kawaii bullshit, and that just ruins everything.
>>
File: どうして.gif (940KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
どうして.gif
940KB, 500x320px
>>18098154
Have you seen Kids on the Slope? If so what did you think of it?

>>18098162
>The others have all that stupid kawaii bullshit, and that just ruins everything.
What do you mean senpai
>>
>>18098180
k
y
s
>>
>>18098180
No i haven't watched it and while it does lookd good i don't think it can hold a candle to Bebop and Champloo
>>18098191
Don't be an autist you can like both "serious" anime and moe
>>
>>18098197
Sure, and I can like both having a girlfriend and getting vip nuru massages from others when the gf is on her period.
>>
>>18097919
Nodame Cantabile is a very good anime that's actually about music.
>>
>>18098251
>Nodame Cantabile
thanks will check it out
>>
Thanks for everyones recommendations tonight. I've been trying a bunch out and so far I'm engrossed in it.
>>
File: 1485562509316.jpg (81KB, 830x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485562509316.jpg
81KB, 830x720px
Generous /a/non here.

The first thing you're going to want to do is download a good media player. What kind of machine are you watching on? If it's one with a good CPU/GPU and you're running Windows, you're going to want MPC-HC and madVR. MPC-HC is a lightweight, open-source media player that's a million times better than Windows Media Player. madVR is what renders the video, and supports a wide range of filters, upscalers, downscalers, and options to make your anime look as good as possible.

The easiest way to get MPC-HC + madVR up and running is to download the Kawaii Codec Pack (KCP). Just google that and you should find it pretty easily, it's maintained by a site called haruhichan. That comes with MPC-HC and madVR and has an installer that lets you choose from a bunch of preset options based on how powerful your PC is, and you can cchange them later once you realize what they actually do.

Here's a good guide for madVR once you get a bit more advanced: https://imouto.my/tutorials/madvr/

If your PC can't take advantage of madVR (video is choppy, dropping frames, PC is overheating), download mpv. It's much less user-friendly but runs on pretty much anything. It's command-line driven though, so you'll want to lurk the mpv threads on /g/ and just snatch a good config from there, since people share theirs allt he time.

Next comes getting your anime. The main sites to get it from are nyaa torrents and tokyo tosho. STREAMING ANIME IS FOR PLEBS. It has the worst quality and usually the worst subs. And that's another thing, you should watch everything with subtitles instead of dubbed because the voice acting industry in Japan is massive compared to the English one and attracts celebrity-tier talent.

Then it's just down to what kind of anime you want to watch. cont...
>>
File: 1484935788143.gif (3MB, 225x324px) Image search: [Google]
1484935788143.gif
3MB, 225x324px
>>18098446
If you like light action with cool fights, there's a wide variety of shounen anime to choose from. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is very accessible and extremely good, and the fights are very well-animated for an anime of its type. Hunter x Hunter falls in the same boat. Both of those series have had two adaptations, and for both you'll want the newest one (FMA Brotherhood came out in 2009, Hunter x Hunter came out in 2011).

If you like more serious action, you'd probably enjoy stuff intended for more mature audiences. Cowboy Bebop is still one of the quintessential entry-level anime, and on top of that it has a great English dub if subtitles seem inaccessible to you. It has a good mix of action and drama. Steins;Gate is another good choice, and its sci-fi time travel plot is really interesting and keeps things moving at a good pace.

If you want to just mellow out and watch something relaxing, you're going to want some Slice of Life anime. Aria is my personal favorite of these. It's about cute girls training to be tour guides who row gondolas around Neo Venezia, a recreation of Venice on Mars far into the future. It's nothing but gentle and heartwarming stories every episode. There's also Mushishi, which is about a medicine doctor/ghost whisperer of sorts who can see and interact with creatures ordinary people can't, and can solve people's problems involving said creatures. This one has a more subdued tone, kind of like a relaxing rainy day.

If those sound too slow for you, Haruhi and K-On are both good places to start. They're also slice of life anime, the first centered around a high school club looking for paranormal phenomenon and the second based on a high school music club. Haruhi is a lot more energetic while K-On is more focused on the characters and being cute.

There's a lot of variety to anime so it's hard to tell someone where to jump in, but those should be some good places to get your feet wet. Have fun Anon!
>>
>>18098470
Late reply thank you I've decided to just torrent most of these shows. I can't fall asleep now so I'll probably be doing that. Is nyaa easy to use I don't want to fuck up my pc with malware
>>
>>18098712
nyaa is pretty easy, just remember blue is foreign language subbed, green is english subbed.
I think. I can't check now.
>>
>>18098737
Great thank you!
>>
>>18098712
The hardest part of using nyaa for a beginner is that you typically need to search for the Romanized Japanese title instead of the English title. Just type the English title on myanimelist.net and it should come up with the Japanese one, then type that on nyaa.
>>
>>18097364
>Is it legal to watch it online for free?
Yes. So don't waste your time with low quality streams and go torrent that shit from nyaa.se. It is illegally distributed either way. Now, you could go the moralfag route and go get a crunchyroll subscription, but I don't see why you'd do that.
>>
>>18099429
Awesome thank you I'll start with that!
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.