[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do people pick what they want to do for a career?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3174.png (10KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3174.png
10KB, 216x233px
How the fuck do people pick what they want to do for a career? It's so damn hard there's literally millions.

You could do auto repair, stock car racing, there's contractors, there's inspectors, nurses, doctors, analysts, data entry, plumbing, audio engineer, technician, just so many

I'm 24 and I can't fucking pick

I either wanna do music or college. I kind of wanted to be a motorcycle repair person but I can go to college for free so I don't see the point in paying for trade school. Also I don't even know if I can get into college let alone pay my own rent and shit.
>>
it seems overwhelming at times

what are your interests
what do you hope to accomplish

get answers to the "i dont know" parts
and the decision will present itself
>>
>>18096466
Probably want to major in business since I'm more well rounded
>>
From the time that I graduated high school I had that cloud hanging over my head as well. All those choices, and I haven't even identified what it was that I enjoyed to do. For four years, from the ages of 18-22, I fucked about and worked weird jobs and got nowhere. I realized that if I wanted to live a comfy life, I needed to suck it up and get a degree doing something that won't make me want to off myself. I started to observe my days.

>wake up
>stay in room all day

I love being inside. I love working and being alone. I love being on the computer and I think code might be magic, so I decided why not programming? Picked the best uni around for a programming major, did some research asked some questions and decided on a school.

I just started, but it's important that I put myself on a track. I think that's the thing, not fucking about. As long as you're on a track, it feels damn good. OPie, stop analyzing. Pick something, do it. Lose your mind and come to your senses.
>>
just pick a field that you like and start working
you won't always know exactly what you want from the start but by trying different things you'll eventually find your way
>>
It's not that hard. There are not many people that are seriously choosing between being a doctor, a plumber, a systems analyst, or a fucking grease monkey.

You're probably suffering a bit too much from the Dunning-Kruger effect right now. Your options are far more limited than it seems.

You need to A) have the right kind of smarts for the job, B) be genuinely interested in the job (no you are not genuinely interested in every job), C) be willing to undertake the training, and D) will fit into the lifestyle and workplace of that job.
>>
>>18096474
I really want to produce music but that sounds so dumb and hopeful but it really is perfect for me
>>
>>18096432
You think that's hard? Try picking when you've lost part of yourself in depression and don't even know what you enjoy or like anymore. For reals though. I have no idea what I'd like to do and I'm constantly afraid that I've picked the wrong path and will hate my career.
>>
When I was that age I would wonder the same thing all the time. Now I'm 28 and I've never done anything. It kills me inside. Here I am scrambling to think of anything I can do to save myself. It doesn't fucking matter what you do. At the end of the day it's all a means to an end, supporting yourself and securing your future.
>>
Goals

>artist (as a kid)
>comic book artist (still a kid)
>2D animator (as a teen)
>video game character designer (older teen)
>online comic book artist (adult)
>industrial engineering (older adult)

Reality

>unemployed
>>
>>18096616
two of those are in reverse order, no matter, point is, as time went by I lost a lot of hope for my dreams and preferred they remain hobbies. While other stuff I was simply too dumb to study. I've done all kinds of work though, carpentry, land survayor, security guard, subway, roofing, housekeeping, maintenance, repairs, etc.

Life flies by, I'd be content being a self employed painter probably, just painting rooms and repairing them. I feel the same though OP, and I'm 31, the rest of my life feels just as uncertain as when I was a kid.
>>
>>18096636
How do you get into security? I kinda want to do that because I want to move to a big city
>>
>>18096641
You just apply at a security company, they provide the attire usually, but you have to he licensed by the department of agriculture so it was a 100-120$ something dollar fee? They tell you the price. You have to take a class, pass a test, then you usually get a shit job with plenty of free time sitting at a guard house or lobby.

Easy $10/hour, little more if it's a weapon required position.
>>
>>18096646
the job wears you out, gotta stay active to stay awake, eight hour shifts doing near nothing take a toll on you. Gotta eat right, stay fit.
>>
>>18096646
Can I apply to those far away? I took a vocational program for criminal justice and I did criminal justice in college and I got an 8 hour certification for a security guard thing for cultural awareness
>>
Imo life is too short to worry about the rat race. Why do we have to kill ourselves over this. Do what makes you happy.
>>
>>18096650
I've never applied far away, always in person. You can research online if the course is available via internet. Then all you'd have to worry about is the license with the department of agriculture. But it's probably best you take the test there, different places, different laws maybe.
>>
Any programmers here?
Any tips on how to get into the field?
>>
Find something you're good at and refine your skills until you can monetize them. It isn't that difficult.
>>
Art and design has been a passion my entire life but I never knuckled down and got anywhere with it..
I now find myself on a science based degree (which is also an interest, all be it minor) and now considering if I'll ever get a job related to some of the insane concepts I'm working with now.

If I was early 20's again I'd have got a trade, its the safest option. Although, say if you do go and become a plumber... thats all you will ever be is a plumber, but at least youll be employed lol
>>
>>18096650
You usually have A LOT of free time doing security work, unless it's a front gate position with a ton of cars showing up. I would spend hours browsing this Indonesian bootleg cartoon forum all day while drawing. It paid the bills. Frankly, I'm starting to consider it again, but with the years, I've reslized I could make so much more self employed, drawback there, is the availability of the work.
>>
>>18096674
Fuckkkkk I wish I could apply to one of those jobs from my shitty farm town in a city or something. Literally sounds so perfect I'm going through a lot of shit right now and need something relaxing and slow paced.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.