[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi everyone. I currently go to high school in a small town

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: pepper spray.jpg (92KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepper spray.jpg
92KB, 500x500px
Hi everyone.

I currently go to high school in a small town in the US. I'm about to graduate in a few months and, by some dumb luck, I got accepted into a US school in Shanghai on a decent scholarship.
I've never lived in a city before, so I'm pretty nervous about it. Does anyone have advice about staying safe, away from scammers, etc? Should I be scared of being mugged? Should I carry something like pepper spray? Or am I freaked out for no reason?

I know this might be a "just-google-it" kind of question, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.
>>
Can't say much since I'm from a small town myself though it's a fairly violent one. At least at the beginning the basics should get you covered, things such as don't go walking around on the street late at night, or deserted places at any time. If you really have to, always pay attention to public places/stores you can run into or get help in case something happens. Stay aware of your surroundings. When you're getting used to the place you live and the places you wanna visit you might want to plan your steps up ahead (with google maps or whatever) instead of showing off your phone and looking lost in the middle of the street. Oh, and when you're walking around in the city always check for visual clues (there's probably a better word for it) that can serve as references to where you are in case you get lost. If I remember anything else I'll add to it! Good luck, anon!
>>
>>18096053
You'll be fine. Surely there will be some kind of newcomers orientation so you know what districts you should absolutely avoid, and since you won't find many natives fluent in english, obviously you and your classmates will go out and do things with each other, so safety in numbers. Never a bad idea to have a weapon (small knife, pepper spray). All major cities on the planet, regardless of country, will have scammers. Don't wear baggy pants, because it's easier to be pickpocketed and not feel it. If a group of kids ever run up to you, make sure to put habds on your wallet and phone - it's a common tactic to be overwhelmed by groups then one person does the pickpocketing. Don't give money to the homeless. Give them food or whatever else, but don't pull put your wallet. If you are waiting on anything, it's a good idea to have your back against a wall, or at least have your hands on your wallet and cellphone as you wait. All I can think of for now
>>
>>18096053
the only advice i have for u in the city is dont make eye contact with black people. black people are racist, they treat white people so badly.
>>
>>18096176
In Shanghai? Did you read the post?
>>
Don't get hit by a car
In China they make sure they kill you.
>>
NYU Shanghai is top tier. Enjoy your time there.

I was in nyu Abu Dhabi for two years before transferring to an ivy league. I'm Chinese for full disclosure
>>
I've been nearly kidnapped/assaulted many, many times.

Are you a woman? Can you fight? I personally don't think any college age woman should put themselves in the position of having to fight off an attacker if at all possible, so I carry pepper spray. I've used it before and it did its job well. Carrying a knife or stun gun or w/e isn't such a good idea because you have to get within arms reach of your attacker which is generally a bad idea when you're panicked.

Big cities may seem intimidating at first but they're not as bad as you think. People are still relatively polite and normal. Unpopular opinion, but try not to jaywalk, especially at night. Pedestrians get mowed down easily in densely populated cities.

Whenever I'm walking alone, especially at night, I generally try to be somewhere well lit. As in, as close to the road as possible rather than near dark corners or alleys where someone could jump out at you. One time I was walking, looked over into a corner and saw two men speed-walking directly towards me, it was really obvious they were up to something, so I looked both ways and just ran into the street. Streetlights being on, people and cars everywhere, they weren't just going to run into this busy area and grab me. Always be aware of your surroundings and how to get out of a dangerous situation. It only takes one time.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.