[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a notice from my ISP that someone downloaded an album by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: imgres.jpg (11KB, 296x170px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
11KB, 296x170px
I got a notice from my ISP that someone downloaded an album by The Weekend. I absolutely did not so someone must've been bumming off my router. I tell them this and they say that if that person doesn't delete the album I'll get another notice.
This is impossible right? How could they know if they delete it or not? They said after my next notice they'll cut me off. Are they just trying to scare me?
>>
>>18094665
They cannot know if the guy deleted it or not.
Btw really fucking odd that they were able to tell you "someone downloaded an album by this band". Wtf does that even mean? From where? How do they know? Like they should log the various ip your router visits, but I've never heard of anyone actually bothering to check for shady stuff.
In any case improve your router security (set limited number of devices/mac addresses allowed to use the internet and change password)
>>
>>18094665

"Somebody else must have bummed off my router" is the #1 go-to excuse for this shit, even if it's true. So they're gonna roll their eyes and tell you the company line - which is delete it (which they can't tell, really), and don't let it happen again.

Improve your router security.

>>18094695
Odds are whoever downloaded it ended up continuing to seed it as a torrent, which is who they generally come after. However, they can track certain files and your IP address to know it was downloaded. It's just that they don't dedicate these kinds of resources to older materials - so you're less likely to get a notice for downloading Who Framed Roger Rabbit than downloading an advanced rip of Logan.
>>
>>18094716
Not op here, thanks for the info
>>
>>18094665
Just tell them you have your house on Airbnb
>>
Ignore the letter.
Make sure your router has a password

Only things you can do. I used to have the wifi in college dorm under my name. One of my roommates downloaded an album(not Torrent, like freedownload.com like a filthy casual), and my internet got banned for 24 hours and I had to complete this course on how im going to jail if. I do it again, it was in like interactive comic book form. Weird.
>>
lol does this actually happen in the US? is there actually legitimate reasons to be cautious when downloading?
>>
>>18094995
>I had to complete this course on how im going to jail if. I do it again, it was in like interactive comic book form.

Your country is a dystopian nightmare
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.