[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to start applying to jobs soon. I need a real true answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: fb.png (3KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
fb.png
3KB, 250x250px
Going to start applying to jobs soon. I need a real true answer to a question: do employers look you up on social media, and if so what shapes their opinion?

Lets just say my facebook page is very honest right now, and I'd like to keep it that way, but I also want to get a job.
>>
>>18093497
You could just "uppen" your privacy settings, or deactivate for a week during your interviewing
>>
>>18093503
Once I'm hired, employers won't go back and check, or won't care?
>>
>>18093506
Once you sign and write down your social security number, its a done deal
>>
>>18093520
You know that people can be fired, right?
>>
>>18093520
Do employers see it as a red flag to find a twitter account and facebook page all blocked out?
>>
Make it private. Remember your employer = your master, and you're the slave.

They're going to give a 7 hour/day job "part time" and cut your hours whenever they want, minimum wage of course. So like me, you expect to earn $300 this week, oh but wait they're sending you home 4 hours early because "not many customers, we don't need you" oh but wait, my ride picks me up at 3 so I'm wandering the streets of this unknown city with no pay
>>
>>18093544
Dude, that sucks. Not exactly the kind of job I'm going for, but I wish you well in finding a better situation.
>>
>>18093544
I meant 2 weeks, I made $300 in TWO not one weeks.

And btw, at work they teach you how to scam people. They literally taught me how to lie to customers so they accidentally order the most expensive options.

And they make me wash 2000 dishes per day with hot water, my hands all fucked up when water gets in the globes, the sink is too low for me so I get back problems.
>>
>>18093533
Theres acts and laws that prevent discriminatory/retarded termination over a manager disliking an employees fb posts.

Ass.
>>
>>18093553
And what are you going to fight an unjustified dismissal claim with? The money you don't have because you were fired?
>>
just set your facebook to private
>>
>>18093503
>>18093506
>>18093520
I work at a pretty social place. Most people have at least one person in Facebook so it's almost impossible not to know about somebody's private life.

I don't usually add people from the office unless I really like them. HR could research your habits but that's what the privacy settings are for.

Keep it safe, set everything to highest settings. Don't add random fucks, if somebody sends you an invitation play the "i don't really check my fb" card, it works.
>>
>>18093497

some do, some dont. my facebook cost me a few internships in the past.
>>
I don't get it, why would you post stuff you KNOW could cost you a job on Facebook? You're aware enough to know it's controversial, but not smart enough to know that you shouldn't post it if you want to get or keep your job?
Yes, you have freedom of speech, but that's in the context of the government silencing you from sharing your views. It's not about employers not hiring you because you don't know when to keep your mouth shut.
>>
>>18093605
Honestly I don't care about people knowing stuff. I just don't want to miss out on a job because of some person who doesnt know me making opinions about my competency based on my facebook page.
>>
>>18093622
It's not about your competency, it's about how you would be affiliated with the company when you're hired and a controversial post could cost them their reputation.
>>
>>18093620
This whole thing is about whether or not employers check stuff, what kind of thing shapes their opinions, and whether or not I'm best off losing some potential social fun in exchange for blocking a potential employer from getting the wrong idea. It's not about the first amendment.
>>
>>18093497
I actually work for a company that performs background screenings. I'm an investigator. The only client we perform social media searches is a law firm. But that doesn't mean those who hire don't check for themselves.

As friends deactivated and private Facebooks and such, we can see you have one but not view it because it's private/suspended.
>>
>>18093497
They will look you up. Don't tell me you haven't even try gather info about a person or stalking to their social media.

Tinker with the privacy setting on your each posts so it won't reach HR harpies, or your boss man.

Post vacation pics or farmville invite, share something funny to mask your activities.
>>
>>18093636
I'm not going into law, so that's good to know. What kind of stuff do you normally mark as indicative of a problem, or what kind of stuff do you consider when advising your client? Or do you just scrape social media and report everything you find?
>>
>>18093638
I wouldn't consider it stalking, but of course I've looked people up. I'm not offering anyone a job though, so what I look for isn't what an employer will look for.
>>
>>18093669
We just find the link to a Facebook or Twitter or whatever so they can go their themselves without finding anything. Legally we can't put any negative information in a report that can sway any decision made by our clients. But they can go to somebody's Facebook themselves then and make any decisions based on what they find if they'd like.

To my knowledge there are no laws that protect consumers (you) from losing out on potential employment or a promotion because the employer decides to check out your Facebook and don't like what they see.
>>
>>18093670
Employers are people too, if they see something they do not like in your social media, they can have a prejudice and decide to skip you, or make your job a hell.

They won't just look something related to your professionalism or work ethic. it could be something petty like, you're a fan of football club A, your boss hates club A.You just have an awesome vacation and posted lots of phots of your good time, someone with enough power/position jealous of you or something.

In the end it's office politics like usual, just with the touch of web 2.0. Best ways are still to keep anything you post/say low and play it smart.
>>
File: 1486331432525.jpg (53KB, 434x425px) Image search: [Google]
1486331432525.jpg
53KB, 434x425px
Yes. They do.

In fact I use it to my advantage, and you can too.

I make my Facebook consistent with what I say on my resume regarding my attributes/skills.

If I said that I enjoy working outside and doing outdoor related activities, there is a pic of me standing atop a mountain/hiking etc.

I.e "I have experience working with people"
There is picture of you in your profile somewhere at a soup kitchen or volunteering etc.

Social media generally is a very well sculpted presentation on how people want to be perceived. Chicks post hot selfies for likes, Guys post their cars etc.

People who post and share political opinions / virtue signalling trash (especially public) are Top of the line fuckwits on par with people who post drunk pictures of themselves doing stupid and illegal shit.

Because Virtue signalling Ted who uploaded a public picture of himself wearing a balaclava in some "protest" that turned violent isn't gonna get a job at the same supermarket that had a tyre iron thrown through it by the same mob.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.