[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>PhD in Math 300k starting how true is this meme? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1460410063458.jpg (15KB, 236x330px) Image search: [Google]
1460410063458.jpg
15KB, 236x330px
>PhD in Math 300k starting
how true is this meme?
I'm asking for myself, actually considering it
>>
>>18088689
>how true is this meme?

Nope, not true.

If you're hot shit at a school that is also hot shit and you SPECIFICALLY study finance mathematics then you could easily start at 150k+, but not 300k.
>>
Don't do a phd for the money bro, do it because you love the field. If you do it for the money you will drop out.

A phd isn't just finishing classes, that's a masters. A phd is 5+ years of grueling work and original research. If you aren't passionate, you won't care enough to do the research.

t. Bout to graduate with a phd in math
>>
>>18088722
>Don't do a phd for the money bro, do it because you love the field. If you do it for the money you will drop out.

sincerely seconded

can we turn this shit into a meme?
>>
>>18088722
thats easy to say for someone that loves math but there are a lot of people with useless degrees because they did what they love...
>>
It's not true, and even if it was, AND assuming that you could actually get a PhD in math, would it be worth a lifetime of misery?
>>
>>18088743
> because they did what they love...

You misunderstand. Getting a phd should be in what you love. Though any degree less than a phd should be something practical in application.
>>
Honestly, high paying math-related disciplines are often positions whereas you have to interact with people. Which means, more often than not your social skills will come into test.

I've met really talented mathematicians, way more talented than i could possible imagine. But unfortunately, they are paid 1/4th than i do get paid. Because they didn't had much luck or they lack social skills.

And no discipline has a starting 300k salary range. That's impossible. Unless you're famous or you have a legacy from your family.
>>
>>18088827
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
I got a masters in math and make $100k at age 26 (would be like $150k living in the US)

It's still possible to get $300k with a PhD in math 'starting' if you are like some supergenius who gets hired by Renaissance etc. But basically just a few people a year in the world at max probably.
>>
Actually Renaissance tends to headhunt leading junior professors out of the blue rather than fresh PhDs from what I heard, so I don't know if you'd call that 'starting'.
>>
>I've met really talented mathematicians, way more talented than i could possible imagine. But unfortunately, they are paid 1/4th than i do get paid. Because they didn't had much luck or they lack social skills.

It's not luck, they just waste their time doing unproductive things.
>>
>>18088834
Yes i do. just check joblists, maths/physicist section. It should give you an insight of what's it like the salary range of this particular discipline.

For pHD you might wanna work in the risk assessment market (actuarist), that's where the money is rolling in anyway.

I don't think they'll potentially display the salary for these type of job announcements. Since it is kinda high level ones (low supply, low demand). Neither should you take jobs that have a fixed salary stamped on it (unless it has career planning)

Also, regarding about mathematics social skills requirement, well, it is important, because if you don't know how to interpret or communicate your results, you're no different than a machine. And machines are cheap.
>>
>>18088848
Top jobs are never listed in job lists

Companies come to you for your talents or business opportunities arise naturally in the course of your career but yes this is unlikely to happen to a fresh PhD grad nowadays.
>>
Finally there is no magic formula or series of steps to take to end up earning 7 figures eventually (which is a more realistic and meaningful goal than $300k starting in my opinion), if you don't have the raw intelligence and insane work ethic you will fail.
>>
>>18088856
That is correct.
>>18088864
That is also correct.
I believe work ethic and etiquette to be more important than raw intelligence.
You can be a mediocre mathematician and still be paid pretty well.
But yes, you have to know enough to do your job reasonably well.
>>
If asked one thing I think is important, I think I'd say it's reading a ton of sufficiently dense, justifiably relevant material every single day (50 pages, 100 pages, whatever) and constantly expanding the limits of your knowledge of the world while aggressively improving your base technical skills. Just being a world expert in data analysis is not enough.
>>
>>18088689
Very few occupations pay 6 figures to start. The ones that do are fiercely competetive. It is not easy to earn a PhD in any field.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.