[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever seen a psychiatrist? I've looked into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Has anyone here ever seen a psychiatrist?

I've looked into psychiatrists in my area, but most seem to be the type with which you divulge your whole sob-story and they coach you on how to improve emotionally.

I'm interested in a more objective consultation after which I could be prescribed medication or other, less abstract forms of treatment.

I don't want to sit on a couch and talk about my problems; I want to list my symptoms, do some tests, and go from there.

Am I SOL?
>>
Psychiatrist does what you are looking for. Therapist does what you do not.
>>
>>18087008
>I don't want to sit on a couch and talk about my problems

That's not really how it works. The psychologist (very probably a psychologist at first and not a psychiatrist) is way more trained at picking out your symptoms than you are, and that's going to take some sitting on a couch and talking. after some sessions (probably like 2-3 tops for insurance reasons) the psychologist is going to have a diagnosis.

IF that is something that needs medication, then you'll go to a psychiatrist for the 15 minute meeting you're hoping for, since the psychiatrist is the one doling out meds, and they usually don't have the time to see everyone they need to see all the time. Usually you'll be on meds and see the psychologist once a week or month as you adjust to them, and psych meds take about 2-3 weeks to even see if they have an effect, since they're basically magic and we have no clue how they work. so you need regular appointments. Especially since the bad side effects of some of these meds include your problems getting way worse or you wanting to kill yourself or others.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>18087028
>usually don't have the time to see everyone they need to see all the time
for the long drawn out weekly meetings for diagnosing, that is.
>>
>>18087008
there are a lot of different schools and stuff. If you aren't able to find the person you need yourself, then you may see any other one - they'll be definitely able to tell you where to find the one you are looking for.

What the other anon said is most definitely not true in my country, but I live in eu, so maybe that's the case.
>>
>>18087073
>most definitely not true in my country
Yeah, this is definitely a US frame of mind. IDK how it works in other countries. This is just how I learned it works in school (I have a psych degree, but didn't go further).
>>
If you need psychological help, meds won't fix your problem. They support your mental health while you tackle your problems. A psychologist/psychiatrist diagnoses and fixes your problems by reflecting on them.

If you're not interested in sharing "sob stories" while working out a problem you feel might need a solution like medication, that says a lot about you. Maybe you repress your problems, have a minority complex, feel you shouldn't / couldn't share your emotions? This is just an example off my sleeve, but you got to open yourself up to allow yourself to be helped.

Also keep in mind that not every psychologist/psychiatrist is holding your hand while you lie on the couch handing you tissues. Those people feel what needs to be done to make a better version of yourself, and then act towards it.
>>
>Psychologist
Try to couch you through your thoughts, problems, and emotions by discussing them. They will diagnose you on the first visit but only because they need to for insurance reasons. Most will not even mention it because it's not as important for therapy sessions.

>Psychiatrist
Will ask you a bunch of questions related to your symptoms, then diagnose you. Will prescribe medications after the first few visits. From then each visit is just "Are the meds working?" if yes stay on that shit, if no try something else until you find something that works.

A psychiatrist is exactly what you want
>>
>>18087106

Oh yeah, also from EU here
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.