[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Engineering school in China, or a mediocre one in my home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1487631864735.jpg (423KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487631864735.jpg
423KB, 1280x800px
My home country is America. Basically, long story short, I've gotten acceptance to what seems to be by all counts the best engineering school in China, one of the few on the mainland that's actually reputable and has been for several decades. I, if I went to school in America would be going to a mediocre, no-name no-rep school. The Chinese school is also far cheaper, even accounting for financial aid I'd be able to get in the U.S. I don't speak Chinese, however, the school is aware of that and is willing to give me a year of Chinese lessons first, which I've included in the costs. It is in a major city, so I should be able to manage for the first year. The major downside to the Chinese school however is that it isn't accredited in the U.S. In my home state (and several others), I would still be eligible to take the exam certifying me to be a licensed engineer despite that, but I would imagine this would cause some issues.

tl;dr
Pros:
>far better than any school I'd be able to get into here
>substantially cheaper
>will be able to speak Chinese fluently
>will be far away from home

Cons:
>not certified in my home country
>>
File: 1471596934323.gif (3MB, 294x238px) Image search: [Google]
1471596934323.gif
3MB, 294x238px
>>18085028
>Chinese engineering school
>>
Why would you go to school in a country where the field is even more saturated than it is in the US?
>>
>>18085028
The Chinese option seems nonviable from my perspective. One year of study is just not enough time for a beginner to obtain the level of fluency needed to study a technical subject at university level. Even if you went full immersion and have a great degree of natural ability there's no getting around the fact there is a fuckload of characters and vocabulary to learn.

If you are interested in working with China then perhaps do your degree in the US and combine it with Chinese language classes and some sort of exchange/internship in China.
>>
>>18085093
agree with this, one year of Chinese isn't going to cover terms like multiplexer or capacitance
>>
>>18085064
Ideally I would move back to the U.S. or to a third country afterwards.

>>18085093
>>18085097
Thanks for the advice. How much time do you think it would take?
>>
>>18085028
Chinese universities are not very great in general, so the academically it is probable that it's not much better than the mediocre American university. Furthermore, it's pretty impossible for you to get a good engineering gig in China and from the looks of it studying in China will complicate employment prospects in the US as well. Not to mention, it'll be extremely difficult to make friends in China as a foreigner who doesn't speak much Chines.

I say stay in America for the more straightforward employment search and the ability to actually have a healthy social life.

t. Chinese who lived in China pretty much his whole life.
>>
>>18085106
To learn Chinese to the point you can understand a class lecture on integrated circuits or applied linear algebra?

I don't know how long it would take you, I don't speak Chinese.......you already know this is not a good idea but sound like you are going to do it anyways.

You better look at the career pages for companies like Boeing, Microsoft, etc, wherever you plan on applying.....you will find the phrase "a technical degree from an ABET accredited institution" all over the place. ie, not some Chinese school that no one has heard of in the first world
>>
>>18085106
>Ideally I would move back to the U.S. or to a third country afterwards.
But you said yourself that the degree wouldn't be recognised in the US
>>
>>18085106
>Thanks for the advice. How much time do you think it would take?
Chinese is an excruciatingly difficult language. I can't speak with authority since Chinese is my first language and I never learned it as a foreigner, but my guess is that it would take at the very least 2 years of full immersion (that is, virtually speaking nothing but Chinese while living in China) with extreme dedication to be familiar enough with the language to survive in an academic setting.
>>
>>18085137
Hey said he'd take some certification to engineer in the states.

Don't see the point in that either. OP will probably do something else just as stupid, like apply for an engineering gig in North Korea.
>>
Seeing as China is basically a planet from star wars i'd stay as far away from it as possible.
>>
>>18085028
you said
"I don't speak Chinese, however, the school is aware..."

you're abusing commas. commas aren't supposed to join independent clauses, and I hate you for making them do so. I admit that I don't care about capitalization, but that's a more complicated subject.

did you know that if you want to convey a message, you have to use a protocol that's agreed upon by at least the audience that you intend to reach?

well, good luck.
>>
As a side question, would it make a difference if I said I planned on getting a masters in a third, more reputable country?

>>18085126
>>18085128
>>18085139
>>18085153
Thank you all again!

>>18085128
I have seen a lot of companies that require ABET, but I've also seen a fair amount that don't. I'm half assuming though that they require it and just assume it's understood. (Although maybe not, since there are plenty of fine international schools that aren't?).

>>18085137
The degree would not be recognized however I would be able to obtain certification.

>>18085142
North Korea? Don't be ridiculous, my first job'll be in Turkmenistan.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.