[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to do too many things. How do I figure out what I should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1487731665160.jpg (728KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1487731665160.jpg
728KB, 1280x1280px
I want to do too many things. How do I figure out what I should focus on so I can actually develop skills rather than just be a jack of all trades and master of nothing? I am the least decisive person on the planet and I have such a hard time committing to anything.
>>
If you aren't going to find it, it'll find you. Follow the signs.
>>
I'm on the same boat, too many hobbies I wish I could turn into a constant thing, but my brain craves to create, to change, to go beyond what I've gotten used to. I wish I could focus this thinking on something useful though, like helping people. Or inventing something that makes life easier for humanity.
>>
>>18079163
what DO you want to do?
>>
>>18079275
I'd like to learn a foreign language(and I don't know which one to go with), play an instrument, and paint, just to name a few things. I don't necessarily want to be the best in anything, but I just want to be able to do these things to a degree that I feel satisfied with what I've done.
>>
>>18079315
Those things require a lot of time and must be practiced everyday. I think you should decide which one is the most important or urgent to you and start there. The key is being organized and constant.
>>
>>18079315
you gotta adopt a one day at a time scenario. What can you get done in a day, then break it down to what can you get done in 12 hours? Then break it down to what you can get done in 2 hours, then break it down to an hour, and finally 30 minutes.

They say it takes 1000 hours to get good at something. Whether you believe that to be true or not, it's something to gauge timed goals with.

Open up google calendar and create a new goal. It's going to ask you what you want to do and how often. It's going to set this up for a long time. Do this with several goals. You will have a list of to do's every single day (depends on how often you set it up for) and a time frame of when to do them. One day at a time dude. Think of today or this evening as day zero. Tomorrow, you will sit down and learn a new language. You can go past an hour if you want but just do it for one hour. If you want to do more, log it and do more. Sunday, try something else. Learn that instrument. What song do you eventually want to learn? Don't stop until you get to that.

Paining costs virtually nothing. Even just to draw, grab some computer paper and just doodle, you can get into techniques and such later if you want to take it more seriously, but just doodle for 30 minutes.

The hardest part is devoting and dividing time for said thing. Anxiety is going to become your enemy and give you a million reasons why you shouldn't start. Don't listen to it. Tell yourself and brain, fuck you, and do something for at least 30 minutes, if you don't like it, that's okay. There's always tomorrow. Just don't let that mindset take over. Remember, the most frustrating thing about all of this is going to be motivation to do it. I've set my calendar for a year of the same 3 things I need to do every day and somedays, I never get anything done. There have been weeks I didn't do shit but I only was punishing myself. My anxiety flairs up even more, then we're back at square one. And that's okay! Never give up!
>>
>>18079367
It's hard to say what's most important. They're all activities I'd like to have a handle on and I don't know if I could really choose between them. I guess that's why I've never gotten anything done.

>>18079380
Appreciate the perspective, man.
>>
>>18079412
It depends on your time really. If you can do two or three activities the same day go for it, but if not you can start for example learning a language and once you reach your goal you start with the instrument (without stopping practicing your language of course, you can read or listen to it everyday)
>>
>>18079163
Be a carpenter dumbass.
>>
>>18079163
are you me? I have a list of all the stuff I'm interested in, and I just try to apply myself to each as often as possible.

hopefully someday I will excel in one of them
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.