[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do warn a longtime friend that he's getting suckered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: toonvectors-4216-940.jpg (323KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
toonvectors-4216-940.jpg
323KB, 940x940px
How do warn a longtime friend that he's getting suckered in by extremist political propaganda via Twitter?
>>
>>18078557
Should specify, since I phrased that poorly: I'm not warning him via twitter, he's seeing the propaganda on Twitter.
>>
>>18078557
You don't. It's his life and his choices. If he gets sucked in then you overestimated him. Was in your shoes. Whenever i tried i was bashed and spat on. There's no point, if he gives in just move on.
>>
>>18078567
So "it's his life and his choices" means I'm not even allowed to try?
>>
>>18078581
Never said you aren't. I'm just telling you if he got suckered in right now he'd rather part ways than listen to you. You know what hurts most in friendship? When you'd do everything to keep that person safe, and they reply that if you stood on a different side of a barricade they'd see you as an enemy.

You can tell him that you're worried, but if he takes it as an attack then you'll see how it feels when somebodys' political agenda destroys normal peoples' lifes. Also, if he'd rather defend his views than your friendship, it is time to let go.
>>
File: 1487876028191.gif (471KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1487876028191.gif
471KB, 512x288px
You fight fire with fire, bring up facts that defy the propaganda. Although you can't because literally everything is propaganda in this day.

So my advice is make the topic of politics a taboo to speak about. If he or somebody else brings up the topic, just give a negative reaction which will hint that you don't want to speak about it. If this doesn't work (in my case it didn't), just move on, because

>>18078567
>then you overestimated him

well said, anon, whenever a friend gets eaten by the media, i try to talk him out of the zone, and if he doesn't seem to accept reality, i still be his "friend", but deep inside i treat him just like i treat my classmates, fucking cold
>>
post some tweets
>>
The only way to combat extremism is with an open pool of different viewpoints.

If you can't give a person that - if you can't tolerate the sea of disagreement and fencesitting - then YOU are the extremist. You are insecure about your views and you expect to silence others rather than proving yourself.
>>
>>18078604
I'm the >>18078567 guy
Problem with "politics are taboo" is, if propaganda goes into hating certain group of people, ie. muslims, black people, jews, women who aborted their children you either ban "outlook" topics or be a first witness of how agenda can corrupt bystanders. Propaganda is like a cancer. Whenever you try to fight it on one space, it will attack you from another.

My deceased grandpa once told me: "You have your head for a reason" And that's why i'm questioning every political move. I'm from Poland, a country that goes through excessive political bullshit. And i'm telling you right now, it scares me how eager to kick others from their life people can be. But it doesn't mean we have to be silent about it.

OP, if you care enough to read that post. Remember, we as a human beings are programmed to question everything. It pushed us forward and it will still serve it's purpose. Answer yourself if you're the one who stopped questioning, or if it's your friend who does so. When you abandon your ability to question stuff, you gave in to the propaganda.
>>
If he likes to talk about it, you can try having political arguments with him. Should expand both your horizons. Although if he's extremist, he'll try to literally bash your head in (else he's not extremist, but simply politically inclined, as we all should be).

>How to warn
Don't know, but it will probably require you communicating with him. I personally could not do something like that in person, so I'd do it via text. "$Friend, just want to tell you that in my view your recent political development has taken on what I call extremist tendencies, which I think might be caused by your ongoing reading of certain twitter messages".

Gift him some book of his side of the political spectrum. Books about political things tend to be much more intelligent than the public discurse about politics. I suspect this will contribute to him being less extremist about his attitudes.

how you even know that this is happening through twitter?

>Inb4 the account in question is @realdonaldtrump
>>
>>18078667
>how you even know that this is happening through twitter?

That's why I posed this: >>18078620

You can find any opinion you WANT on Twitter. Literal calls for white genocide, calls for universal male castration; asking for nuclear war is pedestrian and outdated.

"There's an extremist hiding there" is an extremist tactic to silence entire swaths of people. Extremism would have no place in this world if not for silencing entire sections of everyone. So if you don't like extremism, then you need to learn to tolerate an abundance of different viewpoints including ones your parents / church / whatever considers to be forbidden.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.