[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I do with my life after high school? Graduation approaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 1485405188314.jpg (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485405188314.jpg
99KB, 1920x1080px
What do I do with my life after high school?

Graduation approaching fast, getting more and more uneasy as time goes by. I'm not one of those stoners that have just let things pass by and not even have thought about my future, but I am still in a bind. Why would I go to college if I don't know what I want to do? I'll only get trapped in massive debt. I have an interest in writing but is it even possible to survive off being an author? Do I just wait on college and get a job first? What path did you older anons out there take?
>>
File: 1475878191050.gif (490KB, 490x270px) Image search: [Google]
1475878191050.gif
490KB, 490x270px
>Social pressure forced me into college.
>Parents paid for most of it.
>Waffled on what I wanted to do the entire time.
>Settled on Psychology (lmfao, amirite?)
>Realized too late (last two semesters) I should've gone deep into either applied/pure mathematics
>Got a job out of school, but fucked up a lot, developed really bad depression and quit.
>Been trying to piece my life together for the last several months
>Parents constantly trying to hang out with me
>Constantly declining
>Dad asks if I'm alright
>Broke as fuck
>Contemplating suicide
>Might try selling my body to other men to make rent
>"I've got my health."

Overall, based on my experience, I'd say college is a pretty shit choice if you're not sure what you'd like to do. School is a vehicle for becoming a professional, but if you're not sure what you're doing there, you can't ask the right questions or meet the right people.
>>
>>18078159
Fuck anon sorry to hear that. Definitely seems like things kind of suck after high school. I'd like to not go to college if I can avoid it, but doing something like creating an app seems hard
>>
>>18078259
To be more constructive rather than just bitch about myself: looking back, there was nothing specific I wanted to do with my life. There was no one occupation that really called to me. That isn't to say that I wasn't interested in anything. I was interested in everything and any of those choices would have been just as good as the next. What was most important to me was being free of bullshit.

What I really wanted was to fix other people's problems. If I would've invested my time in high school learning a trade like auto care, I think I'd be pretty proud of that. Similarly, if I had spent my time in college building a career for tutoring math, that also would've sufficed.

I'm working on that tutoring career now, but I thought of it way too late in the game, so now I'm dragging ass. If I had started working on it a year earlier when I was drowning in free time and resources, I'd have avoided the catastrophe of the recent year.
>>
University is a meme. You can make a living without a degree and you aren't guaranteed a job if you have one. I really don't know anyone personally who has a college degree and uses it.

My last girlfriend was the most extreme case. She got her bachelors, spent just a year in her field, realized she didn't love it (after so many years studying it), quit, started managing a movie theatre, can't pay off her massive debt, and basically relies on her dad for everything. I had already opted out of university, but that clinched it because I knew too many people with similar stories.

Asking a seventeen or eighteen year old to decide what he or she will do for a living for the next forty years is too much. Get a job and take some courses at a community college. Maybe get an associates degree. Take that time to experiment and find something you're really into.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.