/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a girlfriend of two years who has serious problems. Her

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Stress[1].png (72KB, 431x245px) Image search: [Google]
Stress[1].png
72KB, 431x245px
I have a girlfriend of two years who has serious problems. Her self esteem is extremely low, she has depression, she acts crazy sometimes, cries often. She's overall unhappy, tried to kill herself and used to cut herself. And it's really soul crushing for me to see her like that, to deal with this negativity day after day. I feel like I'm failing as a man, because she's unhappy and like that.

I convinced her to go to a psychologist and she's been visiting one for two months. I'm paying for it. She's acknowledged that she has a problem and said that she will work to get better. But it's already got to the point where all I associate with her is negativity. I don't want to meet up with her as often. Every time she does something bad, I right away think "here we go again".

Anyway, she said that she understands that and she's fine with giving me a break for a month or so from our relationship for me to take a break from all this. So I would stop associating only negativity with her. Honestly, I feel kind of relieved I'll get a month off from all this drama. But then again, I do care about her an do love her. Would it be okay to do that? To take a break and concentrate on myself? Get with my friends, start playing sports again? What should I do?
>>
>>18077004
She might benefit from the break too.

You're in a tough situation. You won't be able to "fix" it; she will have to do it herself. If you care about her, be supportive, be available, keep doing what you're doing.

That said, everyone dies alone. You shouldn't give up your life fruitlessly for her sake. I say go for a month break and see how it is. Meditation like in your pic can help with dealing with and transforming negativity.
>>
>>18077021

Thank you. That's a very helpful advice. So I should go on a break, but tell her that I'll be still supporting her and if anything happens, she can contact me and I'll be there for her?

The last part strikes me hard too. I've been spending all my money on her, helping her out with her assigments last minute staying up all night when I had my own work. Neglecting my own health and desires. Haven't bought anything for myself in a year.
>>
>>18077030
Damn, now that you reply I can feel that there are real people that these words refer to.

It's hard to say. I left a girl once because she got depressed - it only got worse from there (I stayed friends with her), but she's still alive. In some ways I benefited from it, in others not of course. She was a faithful and reliable gf.

You might be the only thing there for her. In the end, you're getting away from her because of an illness. You can rationalize it (and I can help) but that's what it is. What would you want if you were her?

If you need a break to keep your strength, ok, do it, but if it's just a way to break up without breaking up, don't.
>>
>>18077053
It's so hard. I want and don't want it. I want it to acre about myself for once and take a break from all it. It really takes a toll on me. On the other hand I want to support her too. It's just that sometimes I feel she won't appreciate it. Really, I've been giving in this relationship so, so much and she was giving less or was acting unappreciative sometimes. I mean I've done my share of bullshit too and have said things that have hurt her. Well, fuck, it's such a tough decision to make. Now that I think about her, I remember only the bad stuff. She's very faithful too.
>>
>>18077073
What are your goals in dating her?
>>
>>18077004
Young wolf, drop her.
>>
>>18077076
She's my first girlfriend and I'm her first boyfriend. Honestly, I don't gave a clear goal in mind. We lived together for 4 months and she's messy, can't cook and can't manage money. Also into things I don't care too much about, like branded clothes, cosmetics and other expensive things that make you look better. Probably because of her self esteem issues. I've invested in this relationship so much that now I'm just dating her. But I do feel her dear to me, if she'd change and get better I can see us being together, marrying.
>>
>>18077092
How long has she been depressed?
>>
>>18077102
I don't know, she told me all her problems came from her childhood, so probably all the time after childhood? She's 19 now.
>>
>>18077004
She needs a doctor.
Dont let the myths fool you. Neurology and psychology are extremely well understood.

A family physician can help, even.

It could even be a thyroid problem if that puts into perspective how simple a mental illness can be.

Get her to a doctor.
>>
>>18077145
I mean how long has it been so strong that you are considering a break. How long has it been since you were happy with her?
>>
>>18077149
She's already seeing a psychologist. Wrote that in OP.
>>
>>18077151
I guess it all started having a real toll on me for about half a year already, around the beginning of summer 2016.
>>
>>18077155
That's a long time. Do you see signs of progress?
>>
>>18077169
I guess, yeah, I mean she's been getting a little bit better just by herself as she's growing older. But she's been going to psychologist for two months only, so I don't know if I see much progress after that. She's been having "bad times" a lot as usual. But she suggested we take a break and acknowledged that I have negative associations with her, so I would rest and take my strength back. And if I'll still have negative associations after that rest she said she can't help me and the problem would be in me.

That's kind of reasonable, she'd never say that before, since she's very clingy and dependant, so I guess that's a progress.
>>
>>18077153
Try a physician.

Psychologists vary from actual doctors to people who got a certificate on a telephone.

A physician can refer her to an actual one.
>>
>>18077173
Yeah I would say you take that break then and stay available to her. Best of luck! The more you make it through with a person the stronger the relationship will be, and the stronger you will be.
>>
>>18077181
Can vouch for this. Stuck it through with mine and she got the help she needed. Mutual struggle is good.
>>
>>18077176
Oh, it's actually a psychotherapist with all the doctor degrees. Her friend referred her to that particular one and everyone said she's very good. Also very expensive. 50 euro an hour. I'm going broke over this.
>>
>>18077181
>>18077184
I will do that, thanks a lot, guys!
>>
>>18077187

Well that sounds good, then.

And good of you to bear that cross for her. You gotta look after #1, though. There comes a point you have to cut her off and live your own life, sad as it is.

Still. Good man.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.