[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop getting emotionally invested in pointless internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: duty_calls.png (14KB, 300x330px) Image search: [Google]
duty_calls.png
14KB, 300x330px
How do I stop getting emotionally invested in pointless internet arguments? It's obviously a big fucking waste of time, but I feel like *have* to be right and engage in some long back and forth that accomplishes nothing other than my typing speed. Then I just feel angry at the end that someone has a different opinion from me, since obviously no one has been convinced of a different view by someone else on the internet.
>>
grow up and realize other people aren't you.
Understand that your opinion isn't flawless
>>
>>18076499

Get into the practice of waiting a day between posts. It lets you cool off from your emotions and think more calmly and logically.

The futility of the whole endeavor may become more visceral to you after a while of doing this, as you divorce yourself from the involved emotions, which is arguably the driver for this activity.
>>
I feel your pain. I realized it's because I actually want to have discussion with people, but people are so fucking stupid they just want to argue and when you call them out on it they just justify their retarded behaviour. I wish I knew a place on the internet where people actually wanted to discuss things, but those places are probably a ghost town even if they do exist.

>>18076769
also this anon has some good advice

I actually stopped posting on 4chan for about a week or so just because I realized all I did was argue every single day and nothing came out of it and it was stressful being so angry all the time. I also felt bad for snapping at people or being too invested in my internet quarrels to go do something for someone IRL. I had anxiety for a little at first, but then it went away and came back again towards the end.

4chan is an addictive hellhole for overly-invested faggots like me.
>>
>>18076778
>4chan is an addictive hellhole for overly-invested faggots like me.

Yeah, I noticed it was affecting my irl persona too. Like I'd make these snide/critical remarks to people I know, but over the years I noticed that I was the only one snickering. Everyone else had mellowed out. Now I'm trying to be more positive but it seems like many online forums get really fucking petty, 4chan/Reddit/FB, and my blood boils over nothing.

If I gave up all internet discussions though I'd have like no one to really talk to.
>>
>>18076769
Also thanks anon for posting this.
>>
>>18076794
I noticed I became really cynical this past year, which is fine to an extent because I've always had a really good sense of humor so I usually make it funny or into a joke but lately I start to realize I just sound like a negative asshole and my brother started pointing it out to me too.

I think the problem is I have no social life. I live with my family so I usually talk to them on a daily basis but I only have one friend that I see once every few months and I never leave the house otherwise. So basically all my "social interaction" comes from arguing with people on the internet so it's pretty simple. You surround yourself with negative people/things, you are going to be in a negative mood more often than not or be thinking about negative things. I know the whole world isn't like that and the internet isn't a good substitute to actual interaction, but since it's all I have every day all day it unsurprisingly has a negative effect on me. I'm not looking for a safespace, being on 4chan for 8+ years has more than taught me how fucked society can get, but it's really excessive at this point and I don't see any good that comes out of it. I was able to not let it bother me before, but now it's affecting me negatively. Maybe it's just me and I've finally turned into a faggot, but something's gotta change and I sure as hell am not stupid enough to think 4chan or society is going to change for me.

Problem is just like yours though, I literally have nothing else to do if I'm not on the internet. I would just be sitting on my bed all day. I'm trying to think of different ways to become productive though so I can hopefully start up some hobbies I've been wanting to try. I usually end up just thinking about it instead of doing it though, so I dunno.

I'm pretty fucked right now desu
>>
>>18076499
I do the same but I don't have to be right because I engage in arguements that dont matter to me because I have no actual convictions.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.