[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to get my first taste of having my own place,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I'm going to get my first taste of having my own place, but I need some help on what to consider.

See, I make 1240 a month on average. Now, the one place I want to rent from has apartments ranging from 700 flat (for a studio with 400 sq. feet around it), to 820 (for an actual apartment with 1 bedroom at 621 sq. feet.).

Now, I know I have to 'live within my means' for a while, but I need some space for a lot of shit in my life (such as old paintings, a bigass bed, quite a bit of clothes, and a couple dressers for example.)

From what I've seen, the studio would never fit that shit, yet the 1 bedroom will. I am deeply in love with the 1 bedroom, and I feel I need it the most.

Now, I'm not smart as them other rentin' folk, so ifya please tell me...how much would utilities on top of the 820 rent cost? Say, I'm not in my apartment regularly, yet when I am, I just turn on the lights and play the shit out of my computer, and sometimes use the oven. I'm only home 2 days a week. I barely use the gas range unless I want to deep-fry something (which is a rarity for me).

Now, for me, internet is my life, and I would love to pay for a high-speed service, in exchange for literally no cable. If you can also point me to good service providers as well, that would help a lot. I heard Comcast/Xfinity are poor choices, but Verizon is expensive as shit from what I see.
>>
>paying more than 2/3 your income on rent
Are you a moron? Even $700 is too much for you to be spending on your income.
>>
>>18073998
k
>>
>>18073998
This nigga has a point. I have some cash lying around so I figured I could buy my own house. Turns out, I can get the mortgage and everything but Id have to survive with $200, after meals, water, gas , etc.

Now, the zone is pretty nice and I can definitely survive with $200, but is it a good idea? Of course not. You never know if you or someone will need to pay a hospital bill, a funeral or being fired.

TL;DR: just because it's nice and you can survive eating rice and beans>>18074002
it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Not even if you really, reaaally love the place.
>>
>>18073989
anon with that paycheck youd be best finding an efficiency apartment, you might have to rid of of some of your old stuff too, like those paintings, or invest in a smaller bed
>>
only you know how much money you need.

sit down and do the fucking math. we can't tell you how much water or gas will be it differs from person to person and place to place. here in los angeles the gas bill for me and my roommate is about 15 bucks a month, but it seems to be entirely just our stove. our electric bill varies based on AC usage and whatnot. in mild months its about 50 bucks a month total. in the summer we've had it be closer to 100 bucks a month total. it all just depends.

only you can figure out what your eating habits, waht your spending habits etc. would be.

you would have 420 dollars left over after your rent.

how much is car payments? insurance? gas?

i spend 300 a month on food. could be far less if i hated myself, but food outweighs space for 'dressers' imo
>>
>>18074076
Basically this.
Figure out what you make a month, then factor in:
>Rent
>Gas
>Water
External bills/spending like:
>Phone
>Car
>Insurance
>Food
>Vices/Hobbies
>etc

If you can barely break even, don't get a place that will suck all of your money up. Start someplace cheap and work your way up. Save. Save, Save. Cut every monetary corner you can that won't fuck you in the short term.Cut any small, petty bullshit unless you can absolutely afford it.
>>
>>18074059
>>18074072
>>18074076
Thanks for the more invested answers, guys.

Now, I do eat rice and beans...at home. At work, I get all the food I need/want at lunch, as I work in the kitchen and have the privilege of all-I-can-eat during that time.

I do love air conditioning a lot,but I only use that during the late spring/entire summer/early-mid fall ranges. Considering I live in a certain 'golden' state, I assume the AC bill would be a little higher. I didn't even consider the AC, and that could be my downfall.

I don't use a car, as I can just walk to-and-fro the store and work from that point forward, assuming I get the studio or the actual apartment.

I'm just one man and one man only. That being said, the hospital bill, funeral, potential layoff/firing are concerning...if I were in that much trouble. I'll admit, those dwell on me internally, but from what I've seen, my bosses are pretty much enjoying my company, I have no medical problems at this moment (even beating my asthma), and no one's gonna die until maybe next year.

I do have to shower every day...but I notice that renting from here means that the water bill will be lower or even non-existant. The last bill I've seen living there had only 25 bucks for water, which was from very liberal usage.

Now that you mention it however, I might as well apply for foodstamps and shit just as I consider my options, seeing as my roommate is trying to kick me out while finding me a place.

Since January, I've been saving up half my paycheck every time, and at this moment, I have 1450 built up. Expecting 2050 by the end of my goal time.
>>
>>18074091
Hmm, right off the bat:
>700 a month, assuming studio
>cheap, with 40 at most
>25 at the most liberal usage
As for the rest
>28 for phone
>no car, can just waltz to work and store, sometimes use Lyft
>Health plan that takes 60 a month, hence 1240 rather than 1360. As of this writing, no medical apts or emergencies yet
>200 at most, due to getting fed well at work
>varies drastically

So, really...I've already spent 1100 bucks. I can see problems rising here already, but having 140 bucks left over can still maneuver me well.
I've been saving as I was considering, and have 1450 on savings currently. By the end of the month, it should either be 2050 to 2350 left over because it's a 3-check month.
>>
>>18074118
Just share a house with 2 other dudes so your rent is only 400 you fucking goober.
>>
>>18074118
You didn't account for electricity
>>
>>18074651
Good point.
I'd assume that would cost an additional 100.

Shit...that only leaves 40 unless I really, really stretch on food, which I always do.

>>18074642
That was one plan, but the one woman that wanted to share rooms with me bailed a week later as I was saving. At this point, I'll keep looking for people around my goal-areas via craigslist...even though I heard shaky shit about it.

It was my uncle who intro'd me to her. I don't know if he has more connections in his sleeve, but I'll pester him a bit more.
>>
>>18074103

you might want to go for the 1 bedroom if things cut close, i mean out here in LA pretty much everyones living paycheck to paycheck.

the biggest thing is just have insurance. if you have insurance and a line of credit you can live pretty close to the bone.
>>
id recommend getting a two bedroom apartment and getting a roommate. it can be frustrating but for the most part its better. thats what ive been doing for years. its a good middle ground.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.