[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get over self-loathing for not having gone to a renowned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: computer fan giv ava.gif (27KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
computer fan giv ava.gif
27KB, 120x120px
How do you get over self-loathing for not having gone to a renowned university like CMU, MIT, or Ivy Leagues, and having a harder major

I went to a pretty big state university and did well getting a degree in CS. I got a high GPA and interned at a prop trading firm among all people who went to schools like that. Now I work as a software engineer at a "Big 4" and I make great 6 figure money straight out of school. More than most CS students at my school who I graduated with, at least the ones who I heard talking about it.

But I still hate myself and wish I majored in math or something while studying CS on the side, then got a master's in CS or something. I feel like a failure and I can never rectify it now. I almost want to get an online bachelor's in math just for my self respect

What do I do?
>>
Would you be MORE proud of being where you are now without having gone to one of those schools?
>>
>>18073911
>I feel like a failure and I can never rectify it now.
Well both of those feelings are pretty fucking foolish.

There are a lot of people with CS degrees now and I know of some businesses that won't hire anyone who doesn't have at least a master's. Save money for a year or two to clear out your debt (if you have any) and build up enough to live on, and start applying to graduate programs where you think you'll be able to feel some self-worth for completing.

But honestly, comparing yourself to other people in this way is just stupid.

I respect other people based on how competent they are, not on where they went to school. Most of the people I've met who went to "good" schools are pretty bright, but that doesn't mean they're at all good at what they're doing.
>>
Hey man you've achieved all of my goals
>Graduate
>get into a position with 6 figures pay

I wouldn't worry man. You can't change your past. If you should so be inclined getting a math degree would probably be very possible for you.
>>
>>18073911

Lol your undergrad doesn't matter as much when you've got a postgrad.

If it bothers you that much, work, save, then get into an Ivy League postgraduate program. It should be easy given your six figure income and high-ass GPA.

I'm guessing you're in your early/mid 20's. You're falling into the common trap of 20-somethings thinking their life is over. Its not. You've got decades ahead. You have a lot of time to do what you want to.

So chill. Relax. Take it easy, and do what you want to.
>>
I graduated from UPenn, which is an Ivy League school.

It fucking sucks and you missed out on nothing. Ivy league is filled with professors who are extremely arrogant and hate teaching and the facilities were shit. It's awful. You missed out on nothing.
>>
File: principe_bel_air.jpg (36KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
principe_bel_air.jpg
36KB, 624x352px
>>18074005
I think UPenn in particular is kind of an outlier though let's be honest, Philly is all homeless black people and even 1 block west of campus and you're in West Philadelphia
>>
>>18074027
What does that have to do with anything? The campus is comfy as fuck.

And some facilities were shit but when I was there they had just built a brand new neurosciences building or something. Also the Wharton building is nice and the high rise dorms are decent too.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.