[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>graduated with a degree in comp sci a while back >job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1466361411029.png (115KB, 326x226px) Image search: [Google]
1466361411029.png
115KB, 326x226px
>graduated with a degree in comp sci a while back
>job hunting up the ass since then with very little replies back for even an interview
>even when they reply back, it's always the generic response of them moving forward with someone else
>practically nonexistent work experience in that field for a lot of positions that want years of experience
>the few interviews that did happen went by alright but again with them going with someone else better or more experience
I legitimately don't understand, what am I missing that's stopping me from getting a job? What am I supposed to do that's supposedly so damn easy for other people? How the hell am I supposed to get experience for a job when almost no jobs want people with no experience?
>>
File: Moka_Bubble.jpg (31KB, 388x360px) Image search: [Google]
Moka_Bubble.jpg
31KB, 388x360px
>>18072422
You shouldve done 5 internships shile in college lol!
>>
>>18072422
It's one of those things that I feel a lot of schools (and really the world at large) doesn't teach most students.

We're past the era when simply having a college degree made you special and competitive on the job market. That was our parents' and grandparents' "fresh out of school" experience.

These days, if you aren't doing internships/coops and building a resume/relationships while you're in school when you're actually able to do float all the minimum wage/unpaid TRUE entry level positions, you will be behind come graduation. Too many other people out there that have been doing that stuff for 2-3 years AND have the degree.

If not that, you better have some sort of standout accomplishment/accolades. People want the person who appears best able to do the job, and simply having a degree is the bare minimum.
>>
>>18072436
>all that
So I'm pretty fucked in what I can do for getting employed then? Because shit, it seems like a fucking catch-22 situation at this point.
>>
Join the military
>>
>>18072669
You can still do internships. Tell companies that you're going to get a masters, but not until you've had some real experience in the field first (if you don't have at least a BS then that's your problem lol)
>>
>>18072422
What jobs specifically have you applied for? What country/state do you live in?
>>
>>18072685
>BS
I got that much at least. I'll try that though, thanks.

>>18072689
Fucking Canada, Ontario. It's literally just been whatever comes up that I'm gunning for.
>>
Does your college have a career placement office? it's to their benefit to place students so they can say "xx% of our graduates find employment in their field". Go talk to them.

But remember a couple of things...
>everyone who has ever hooked up a printer thinks they are a CS wiz.
>you're competing against a lot of people
>finding a job is like a job... every day, every hour be looking
>don't wait for callbacks. be aggressive and pursue the job
>talk to friends, neighbors, professors, past supervisors (even if not in the CS field). Most jobs are through contacts, not ads.
>>
File: 1487646266134.jpg (104KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
1487646266134.jpg
104KB, 500x432px
Ten bucks says its your resume.
>>
>>18072746
In most places there's not a lot of competition, but OP lives in pajeet town so yeah.
>>
>>18072422
>>job hunting up the ass since then with very little replies back for even an interview

Getting a job with a comp sci degree shouldn't be a problem. If you're green you might need to know people.

There are starup app projects, consultant companies who hire junior developers.

Being a developer with just 2-3 years experience today is like being a girl 3:am at a nightclub. You will get recruiters contacting you on linked in, english lads miraculously finding your phone number somewhere online, calling you up and be like "plz be in lundudn"

It has never been easier.

If you can't get a job you probably need to stop living in fucking nowhere and move to a damn city. Then go to the damn meetups. meetup.com

And get friends.
Get life skills.

You probably have people from college you know who could recommend you.
>>
>>18072436
Mostly this, but I want to emphasize that the computer science degree isn't even important in the first place.

Out of our 8 staff in software development, me and one other has a degree. both bachelors.

If you have a nice portfolio, it shows entirely that you are competent. College nowadays is becoming more about the learning than the sheet of paper (which I think is the right way).

Things have changed and most people don't even realize it due to simple ignorance (in no harm).
>>
What have you done? Have you created anything? Show me something cool you've done.

Do you have shitty answers to those questions? That's why.
>>
$10 says your github sucks.
>>
>>18072422
Can you show us your resume?
We won't laugh promise
>>
>>18073097
would major companies like Intel and Amazon consider someone without a degree, but with an amazing portfolio? or would they just immediately dismiss that application and move on to the next person who probably has both?
>>
>>18073135
Resumes goes through shitty Application Tracker Systems which only compares your resumes with keywords. That makes it difficult to push your resume to the HR's.
>>
>>18073135
Depends on their work policy

Companies that I know do care:
-dell
-hp
-Samsung

Companies that I know absolutely dont care whether you have a degree or no
-Google
-Go daddy
-Facebook
-Microsoft (silicon valley offices)

Google even made a public statement saying that it means nothing.

Though degrees should always be put on resumes, one rookie mistake I see is people sometimes put their GPA on their resume. DO NOT DO THAT. It is blatantly overselling yourself. Good employers see right through it.
>>
>>18073175
>>18073176
alright, thanks guys. I'm just considering if I go back to school for comp sci degree or just work on building a good resume of projects. I'm located in the central valley/bay area but have been heavily considering moving to Oregon/Washington
>>
Current student here, finishing in May starting my job search next week.

There are ways around the whole internship thing, this isn't a business degree.

Side projects? Github? Open source? GPA isn't asked much for it seems, but 3.0 is like the minimum. Even with below a 3.0 and side projects.

If you get past HR and get to talk to the actual devs, then if you can show a project you worked on(mobile app, web app, something?) and talk about it in the interview, thats awesome. Are you currently working on something, that you could talk about in the interview?

Me currently: Throwing all my programming courses I took, the work is going right to github, java, c++, assembly lang, VB/.net, SQL. I made a personal website, I want to do front end dev. I learned html5, css3, less, JS, bootstrap, jquery. Im currently working on a fan site for character from a TV show I love and Im learning REACT to build a web app to log my workout data and eventually want to build the backend for it as well. I had an unrelated desk job I worked through college to pay for college on my resume as well.

Now I live in America and I dont know if this will be enough to get a job but Im going to fucking try and keep working on side projects non-stop until I land a job.
>>
>reddit

OK but /r/cscareerquestions is the place to be my man
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.