[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to uni right out of high school because I was 18 and retarded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: confidence is key.jpg (101KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
confidence is key.jpg
101KB, 960x960px
>started out solid but hit a crisis a couple months in since I felt like I was only majoring in my field because of other people's influence
>get extremely depressed. stay up late and sleep in all day. Have 0 self-discipline and end up failing all my classes by never even showing up
>decide taking some time off from school would be best and move back in with parents

Despite not being nearly as depressed or overwhelmingly stressed out over a year later, I still feel completely lost when I try to think about what I want to do with my life. I spent so much of my previous years just trying to get other people to like me that I've developed no personal skills or passions/interests outside of being mildly charismatic and an excellent liar.

Every time I try to force myself back into a better life by exercising and sleeping right, I always end up relapsing because of weak self-discipline and an overall minuscule grasp of what I really want out of life. I'm now in a situation where I'm ~$5000 in debt already with no idea how to get out and no redeeming qualities to make doing so any easier. I thought taking time off to work would help with this +help with paying off the debt, but it's just turned into a year of shifting from shitty minimum wage 15 hours a week job to job, only barely getting enough money to buy food.

I have a vague feeling that I'll find a way in the long run, but with this I've given up on trying to solve all my problems alone. Is there any way I can put myself in a better position for dealing with these issues? I've considered a therapy session since I've heard they're usually effective when you really do see no other way out, and I'm certain I could probably scrounge up $200 for it one way or the other.
>>
there's nothing wrong with this so long as you actually have *some* discipline to study. A gap year would just lead to you procrastinating the entire time if you didn't have discipline in the first place. At least the stakes at cost (paying tuition) would actually push you to study.

> I'm ~$5000 in debt
from what? 1 year of study? You'll pay that off quickly.

maybe consider college instead for a job (i.e. pharmacy technician *if* that's decent in your area. It starts at around 25 canadian pesos per hour here after a couple years of study plus the time to get certified afterwards). Heck someone I know went to uni for 4 years first THEN went to college for 2 years to get a job that's more absolute because that's just how shitty a bachelor's degree is worth here nowadays.
>>
>>18071912
I live in Houston, so i should be well off for opportunity if I ever do decide to double down on something. It's just that imagining a satisfying career where I don't completely hate my life is the difficult part. Is it just a pipe dream?
>>
>>18071958
>It's just that imagining a satisfying career
I don't know how different it is in the US but over here, we've had a shit ton of tuition grants and shit that it's been detrimental for finding a job after graduation. Just finishing uni isn't enough, so maybe take this time to rethink what to take when you go back to school.

I only did an internship by the time I graduated when I should have at least done a co-op to be competitive. I'm in a data entry job right now that's only a few dollars over the minimum wage (keep in mind this is in Canadian dollars) instead of in a pharmaceutical or any other laboratory like I initially planned.

Any work experience can be good for your resume though. One of my coworkers here got a laboratory job afterwards and it was partially thanks to his work experience as a chef for a few years before coming to this data entry job.

I've also had a coworker who stopped uni midway, got this job, but then went back to school to finish their program after a year.

I'd say bottom line is, make sure you heavily consider a co-op program if you do go back to uni.
>>
>>18071996
Yes. It's pretty similar here, the job market's so over saturated with degrees that most work usually ends up to people with trade school experience.

I'd had plans to major in EE because it's a very stable field and was at least somewhat interesting to me. But they always tell you in school what some few famous engineers achieve and never what most do on a regular basis, so I got pretty demotivated during my courses.
I thought about changing my minor from mathematics to business so I could go for a more Entrepreneur-like approach and really start taking advantage of my leadership qualities, but that all seems like it'd be such a big gamble. I'd still have my major to fall back on, but I've heard that not having a minor in mathematics is pretty much detrimental to the degree.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.