[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do most people think about depression? I feel out of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 1487397232214.jpg (94KB, 835x803px) Image search: [Google]
1487397232214.jpg
94KB, 835x803px
What do most people think about depression? I feel out of the loop on this.
>>
>>18068697
It's not real.
It's just that this generation is filled with soft people who make up a disease for every bad feeling they have.
>>
>>18068697
It's depressing
>>
I think I'm mildly depressed. It used to be a lot worse. At my worst point, my family was in the living room and I was in the kitchen holding a knife to my stomach trying to imagine as specifically as possible what it would be like to kill myself. In the end, the thought of my little sister seeing my body bleeding out on the kitchen floor kept me from doing it right then and there. Since then I've gotten better, but I still have bad days
>>
>>18068697
I feel most people have self-diagnosed themselves with depression at one point in their lives.
>>
>>18068697
21st century disease, we've reached a point to where we invent our problems because we lack any real challenge in our lives.
>>
For me it's a persistent pattern of behavioral instability where I don't eat and it's very difficult to just do anything. It just happens from time to time regardless of stimuli and then I just wait it out until I feel better. I think healthy depression is just a regular emotion that you feel from events like a breakup or death of a loved one. What makes it a mental illness is when it just happens regardless of the world around you.
>>
>>18068713
>>18068747

Depression has been around for as long as humankind has been around. Check out this link: https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/historical-understandings-of-depression/

Depression isn't something made up. It's an actual illness that can negatively affect the human body and brain. It's a debilitating illness if not properly taken care in the most severe of cases.
>>
>>18068739
that's why everyone thinks it's made up
>>
>>18068713
>Scientifically measured and provable brain chemical differences
>Soft people

Look up melancholia, shit's been around for centuries we just have mass media now.

Depression is a real thing. It sucks, it's a mental illness. No energy, lack of emotion, things like fantasizing about yourself dying and in some cases making/executing plans for your death. On the bright side, it's pretty treatable compared to a lot of mental illnesses.
>>
>>18068761
What makes it a mental illness is when the chemical imbalance in one's brain can't be fixed without medical intervention and professional help. People often confuse depression with "the blues" or feeling really sad. Depression isn't a feeling. It's a state of being that's not healthy and life threatening.
>>
>>18068727
yeah , this .
>>
>>18068761
This. Depression is when you go both sky diving and and scuba diving and they're both "meh". The chemicals necessary to making something thrilling and exciting don't work right in my brain. As a result, it only speeds up a downward spiral knowing things that SHOULD be enjoyable or not.
>>
>>18068801
does medication correct this/lessen the effects?
not OP btw
>>
Being happy all the time gives me not motivation or drive in life.
>>
>>18068776
No, depression can be treated with therapy and still be considered an illness. The blues are clearly different since no sadness episode lasts as long or includes symptoms like anhedonia, chest pains or (real) suicidal tendencies (to name some symptoms)

Behavioral therapy has comparable levels of success with medication and it is often recommended depending on the specific circumstances of each case.
>>
>>18068697
it sucks.

i've never really been close with anyone, so maybe it's just for me, but i've noticed that even if i only give the slightest hint to someone that i'm depressed, they'll stop talking to me.

i had a rough patch a few years ago and all the people who i thought were my friends just sort of disappeared out of my life. i'll admit that i got flaky for a bit, but eventually nobody would respond to anything i said; even the ones that i talked to about feeling like shit 24/7. Then my girlfriend of three years cheated on me.

maybe people just want to avoid negativity? i don't know. i sort of gave up on trying to connect with people a while ago.
>>
I'm not trying to say this will work for everybody. But for me, taking dxm seemed to rewire my brain. When I tripped on dxm once a month or longer, I gradually noticed myself appreciating life more often, especially when I wasn't under the effects of dxm. To this day, I would say dxm fixed my mindset. Again, not trying to say that'll work for everybody, it just worked for me
>>
I'm blown people call depression """a made up illness""". If any of non-believers want my mpd you can have it.
>>
>>18068832
As someone who has avoided negative people, while being kinda depressed sometimes but never really saying it out loud, I think it is true that people avoid depression, so, the easy way out that anyone with depression who still wants people around is to go to a therapist, and treat your shit in there, because even your nearest of relatives will end up going away from you when you try to ventilate your issues.

In the end everyone feels depressed in one way or another some time in their lifegime, but it's common to just hide it, , that's why people don't want to be near you. Because thinking about someone else's problems ends up linking up your own.
>>
>>18068819
I don't see how you and I are in disagreement...? A mental illness is considered a mental illness when it negatively impacts one's life and requires therapy and/or medication. When it comes to depression, regardless of the mild or major depression, there's still significant chemical imbalances and even PET scans have shown abnormalities in depressed patients' brains, hence why I mentioned that depression is a mental illness because of chemical imbalances. Maybe that's where we missed each other in communication.
>>
The only way to defeat depression is by working.
>>
>>18068713
I agree with this to an extent.

I think chemical imbalances in the brain do exist and people experience a feeling of depression.

It's not nearly as wide spread though.

The problem is we now have SO MANY mental illnesses and psychological complexes defined nowadays that everyone probably has at least 4.

It's just ridiculous over prescribing of supposed "troubles" that everyone has and an excuse by pharmaceutical companies to sell more anti-depressant pills.

There are people out there who genuinely DO have depression. But by and large, I'd say 99% of people (especially the self diagnosing ones) don't have depression and instead are just normal human beings who occasionally feel happy and occasionally feel sad and occasionally feel long periods of numbness. This is normal.
>>
>>18068765
You may be right, but I think that the current lifestyle choices of the first world are creating a trend towards depression.
>>
File: 1464136409036.jpg (51KB, 960x852px) Image search: [Google]
1464136409036.jpg
51KB, 960x852px
>>18068713
>these people
>>
>>18068739
>>18068713
>>18068747
>>18068770
>>18068776

depression is a mental illness
you can be depressed but the difference between someone who's sick and someone who's not is that the one who's sick wont recover

shitty childhood makes you sad, things are better but you are still bitter
thats depression
friend dies, a year later you miss him but you moved on
thats not depression

the thing is that in both scenarios, at some point both people were depressed but one is sick and the other isnt

there is a talk that explains this much better
>>
>>18068993
>the objective truth is always in the middle of two opposing arguments
these people
no senpai

>I think chemical imbalances in the brain do exist and people experience a feeling of depression.
+1
>It's not nearly as wide spread though.
depends, it is tho
there are several kinds of depression
I was depressed for years and I didnt even realize until I stopped being depressed
a lot of people think its just what growing up is about
not every depressed person wants to kill himself and cry all day

>The problem is we now have SO MANY mental illnesses and psychological complexes defined nowadays that everyone probably has at least 4.
like ADHD and social anxiety I bet
those 3 are the most fucking common, because they are fucking common
its not like any person has an equal chance to be diagnosed any mental illness

>It's just ridiculous over prescribing of supposed "troubles" that everyone has and an excuse by pharmaceutical companies to sell more anti-depressant pills.
pills are a way to work with the problem, some may resort to psychological treatments
plus pills arent meant for life, no doctor thinks a healthy life can be maintained with SSRI's. no good doctor at least
this pharmaceutical conspiracy theory has some truth to it but it doesnt mean mental illnesess arent real

for example adhd is a lot of times accompanied by social anxiety and or depression (look up comorbidity)
ssri's help with depression but also social anxiety, they didnt do shit for my depression but they got rid of the reason why I was suffering
once I could enjoy life, make friends, not struggle while doing plain things that involved people (driving was excruciating for example) I could work on my depression
now im meds free and anxiety and depression free
all thanks to a good shrink and pills
>>
>>18068993

>There are people out there who genuinely DO have depression. But by and large, I'd say 99% of people (especially the self diagnosing ones) don't have depression and instead are just normal human beings who occasionally feel happy and occasionally feel sad and occasionally feel long periods of numbness. This is normal.

>(especially the self diagnosing ones)
lol those dont count, no one ever said they did

>and occasionally feel long periods of numbness
>long periods
>occasionally
thats literally depression
you know the feeling, you might have it
dont want to go to the shrink cus the big pharma wants to pump you with unnecessary pills? try LSD if you can get your hands on it
not much, like 1/8 of a tab, it will show you what youre missing
LSD tho, or shrooms
look up microdosing

>This is normal.
it is
a lot of people are depressed
>>
>>18068713
>>18068747
While this may be what many people believe, I imagine it's because of how little meaning people actually have in the words they use. But these are people who probably can't fathom, nor have they witnessed severe instances of depression, nor will they ever care enough to bother to witness it.

Depression can be witnessed in the brain as lower neural activation, which over time can cause neuron death and brain damage. There are currently studies being done that show various genes, and combinations of genes can predispose certain people to Depression due to varying mechanisms involved in synaptic activity and neuro-chemical production/reabsorption.

Not only are those two anons wrong, they are dangerously, vindictively wrong.

>>18068776
What makes something a mental illness a la DSM is that it is a maladaptive behavior that doesn't benefit the individual, what makes it a disease is the real physical harm it can cause a person.

In worst case scenarios Electro-convulsive-therapy is a viable, even necessary option.

>>18068868
I get that the lay usage of 'chemical imbalance' is not wrong, but it makes it sound like an easily fixed thing to people who really don't understand the frustrating complexity, for both doctors and patients.

>>18068993
Long periods of numbness aren't normal, and those who go about numbing themselves aren't "well adjusted". But your concern about too much diagnosis, aka pathologizing normal behavior, is shared by a collective of doctors as well.

>>18069250
This guy is onto something, hopefully more research will be greenlit.
>>
>>18068697
just a realistic understanding of your life
>>
Depression is definitely a real thing. Most people claiming to have depression are self diagnosed and water down the term. Similar deal with how every other "nerdy" person claims to have aspergers.
>>
>>18068956
That's the spirit, at least your boss can be happy.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.