[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a sophomore in college with like a 2.0 GPA because I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: True Kino.jpg (453KB, 1920x1233px) Image search: [Google]
True Kino.jpg
453KB, 1920x1233px
I'm a sophomore in college with like a 2.0 GPA because I shit the bed freshman year. I keep having panic/anxiety attacks about my life being ruined and that I fucked up so hard by doing poorly. This has to be irrational, but it has really been fucking with me lately, how do I snap out of this?
>>
you could try shooting a russian diplomat, that always helps
>>
File: C0rMRMrWgAAF2nF.jpg (58KB, 627x800px) Image search: [Google]
C0rMRMrWgAAF2nF.jpg
58KB, 627x800px
Find your school's graphics department, take graphics classes.

>photoshop
>intro to page layout for printing
>dreamweaver
>flash
>intro to 3D modeling

If you can't ace these classes, then drop out of school and take your goddamn place at Starbucks.
>>
>>18065391
I guess you better go back in time and do better.

If that doesn't seem reasonable, then when you start panicking, tell yourself that changing the past is important and what you need to focus on is doing well in the future.
>>
File: Spoopy Green Beret.jpg (1MB, 4870x3247px) Image search: [Google]
Spoopy Green Beret.jpg
1MB, 4870x3247px
>>18065406
I'm a Comp Sci major, I can handle the classes I just had some serious problems with attendance last year because of mental health issues that emerged midway through my senior year of high school. It's like I keep trying to convince myself that working hard now won't matter because I've already fucked up. I did much better last semester, but it still wasn't as good as it could have been.
>>
>>18065391
>I keep having panic/anxiety attacks about my life being ruined and that I fucked up so hard by doing poorly. This has to be irrational, but it has really been fucking with me lately, how do I snap out of this?

you snap out of this with facts.

1: it matters FAR more that you actually finish college than your final grade overall. Finishing college gives you the diploma, and statistically speaking puts you ahead of 40% of those that don't finish in 6 years, or the rough estimate of 30% that don't finish at all.

2: except in elite jobs that require pedigree or social status, there has been no causal link established in studies (unless they were done by a university) that shows grades = financial success after graduation.
>>
>>18065430
>last time was a one-shot problem
>next time will totes be different, rly

If this were true then you would not be worried right now. Something tells me this isn't entirely true.

Want a solution? Here it is: take easy stupid classes. You might actually enjoy them, learn something valuable, or meet someone beneficial to your life in some way. If they have a Unity course anywhere at your school then take it. Flash is trash, I can't understand why but the smartphone industry wants to bury it.

Do not take art classes. In most schools, the art teachers are Hitler and they don't even want you to learn art.
>>
Cowboy up and power through. I did the same thing OP, I floundered the FUCK out of my freshman year, failed 3 classes, because I just plain was not expecting college to be that vastly different from high school. I was put on academic probation year 1.

I'm in my 4th year now mate, I've been on the deans list for about 3 semesters now. You can recover from this, you just have to learn from your mistakes.

To fix your shit GPA: Check your university's retake policy. Do they override the old grade completely, or average them out? Either way, if you failed a course, spend the money and retake it. It should be easier the second time around, bonus, take it from the same teacher if possible. That will help boost the ole GPA. Next, sprinkle in some easy classes, preferably classes you have interest in, even if they're outside your major. Get some easy A's to also balance.

But over all, get your shit together. Easier said than done, I know, but you just gotta quit the panic. When you feel it rising up, swallow it back and focus on your work.
Alternatively if you absolutely cannot swallow it back, funnel that anxiety into something somewhat productive. If you gotta have an attack, then just fucking let it happen and get it over with as fast as possible. Do not hold it back if it's gonna be big enough. Cry it out, once it's over, feel better, get back on track.
>>
>>18065391
I'm in your boat, but it my 3.1 GPA drowned to a 2.3 thanks to fucking accounting.

If you are an accounting teacher, go fuck yourself. I hate you and hope you shove that keyboard up your ass.

That said, there is a root to your laziness. For me it is my disgusting vidya addiction that I can't break. I used to do all my homework and assignments ASAP in HS and early college years, now I procrastinate and do everything last minute. Find the root and fix it, or at least adjust it.
>>
>>18065391
Professor writing here.

I won't say that EVERYONE screws up their first year, but an awful lot do, and everyone in education knows that. So your job is to not screw up the rest of your time. (In fact, some colleges omit the first year in computing GPA)

Some practical points virtually NO employer will ever ask about your GPA. They're only interested in the fact that you got the degree. Grad schools will be primarily interested in your GPA in your major. And anyone looking at your transcript who notices lousy grades the first year and good ones thereafter will think "Good for him/her for shaping up."
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.