[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, I'm 18 years old and about to go to college. I currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Yearly_Tuition_Resize.png (131KB, 893x579px) Image search: [Google]
Yearly_Tuition_Resize.png
131KB, 893x579px
Hi, I'm 18 years old and about to go to college. I currently have two options:
>Go to UC Berkeley for cheap due to scholarship and instate tuition
>Go to a top 15 school (maybe Ivys, decisions have not come out) with most likely little aid

I dont know what to do because I have no idea how much an undergraduate degree matters. All I have heard is that if you get a great internship because of the degree, then it matters. If not just wait for Graduate. Any advice from older people in the workforce on graduate degrees vs undergraduate degrees? Thanks

Specific questions I need advice on:
>Does the undergraduate degree in the end matter?
>Is the name value of an ivy league that much better to spend more money on?
>Is it possible to get far in the corporate ladder without a graduate degree?

Thanks! any advice is appreciated

>TLDR: Should I save money and go to a good state school, or spend a lot on a elite school for undergraduate?

>pic related, outdated graph but still true
>>
>>18064753
Fuck both. Go to a cc and pay next to nothing while working. You'll learn first hand what kind of work you like and what field you want to go into. Then transfer to a place that not obly has a good program, but is in an area with that job market. Also assume you'll be living there for a while, don't move back home unless the industry is there.

This may take a few extra years but you'll save a ton of time in the end.
>>
>>18064768
thanks for the advice, however I already know that I want to go into investment banking/high finance, and so a good degree will matter. Does your method work for that type of job?
>>
How much money do your parents earn? I'm not sure the exact number, but I believe Harvard gives free tuition to anyone whose parents earn less than $60000 per year.

So yeah, theres a lot of grant money out there for smart, poor kids.

As for your question about the importance of the name of your school: it's hard to say. Has a lot to do with what field you want to go into.

If you want to go into something "soft" (like journalism, for example) your college's name matters a lot potentially.

Generally, the "harder" the discipline is that you go into, the less important the name of the school. Engineers from MIT probably make money comparable to similarly intelligent students from a run-of-the-mill state school, for instance.

One thing I can promise you, though, is that at an Ivy you will be working much harder to get the same grades as you would have to at a state U (even a prestigious one like Berkeley).
>>
>>18064814
Just saw this post. If you want to go into finance, get into the best ranked school possible. Finance is all about dick sucking.

But don't cry to /adv/ when you jump off a building from overwork.
>>
>>18064825
thanks I appreciate it. As for parental income its on and off, it depends on which year is required by the university for taxes. My mom is a teaching contractor (speech pathologist) so she makes around 90k a year, and my dad is a vp of marketing usually for start-ups, so a healthy 200k a year, but its on and off since marketing is not always needed and start-ups are volatile. So one year I can be low-middle class and the next be upper-middle. As for what profession I want to go into investment banking/high finance.
>>
>>18064827
I will not, but thanks for the warning. I am well aware of the workload, and it does not scare me, as to get to where I am I have worked hard already and leaving the office at 2 a.m. to go back to it at 7 does not scare me.
>>
>>18064753
dude. look at your options here.

names arent shit. no1 will care what uni u went to lol. its all about that fucking paper!!

jk, id go to berkeley. just make sure w/e u major in gets you a good job lol.
>>
>>18064839
there are forums for people who are trying to get into finance. Just google "finance internship" and you will probably find them.

They will tell you the sorts of things recruiters look for. And yes, college rank is one of them.

I do wonder about your motivation, though. You may find that finance doesn't pay as much as you would expect. Other than some obscenely wealthy people at the very top of the finance pyramid, most people don't make that much money.

You can look up the stats yourself, but i believe a junior analyst at JP Morgan makes around 70k a year. That's 70k for working 70 hours a week (on average, based on what I've heard) and working in a big city with high living expenses.

Of course, pay goes up as you move up, but unless and until you get up to the highest ranks of the world of finance (at which point you'll be in your late forties at least) you're not going to be making money hand over fist.

Just something to think about OP. I hate to be such a dad, but life really isn't just about money.
>>
File: logotype-soa.png (23KB, 287x100px) Image search: [Google]
logotype-soa.png
23KB, 287x100px
>>18064753
iBanking doesn't hire people outside of the Ivys, and even then, they only pick from select schools. Good luck.

Why not try actuarial? You still get a lot of money, its very math/business heavy, and it doesn't require sucking the cock of your iBanking slave drivers.
>>
>>18064989
desu im not the best with math. I can do it fine, but I want to be in an environment where I can lead math people and do the conceptual/business work. in essence math does not get me off, actual investing and selling stocks does
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.