[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Major in math and minor in philo or major in philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (55KB, 479x451px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 479x451px
Major in math and minor in philo or major in philosophy and minor in math ?
>>
Is this some kind of joke question?
>>
>>18063538
you majored in math and minored in math?

did you get your PHD in retarded?
>>
>>18063544

Why did I trigger you guys just from asking a fucking question?

Just answer autists
>>
first thing you should think about is what you want from life.

in the end, having a certain diploma means nothing if you dont work on getting to know people, connecting, and all of that.

also, what do you want to do? What do you like more?
>>
>>18063553
I'm not so worried about employment. If I wanted to get a job I'd just become a doctor or go into engineering

I really want a solid foundation in logic. I know math can become astray from logistics but the formal logic in philosophy is pretty interesting. I don't know which would benefit me more in the long run
>>
>>18063570
in the end it wont matter. what will give you solid foundation in anything is your own engagement in something. go with whatever, you can change things later anyway
>>
>>18063538
you can major in philosophy and master the art of serving fries and cheeseburgers

or you can major in mathematics and earn 100k a year

up to you
>>
>>18063570
>I really want a solid foundation in logic
Then I would look into both the philo major and philo minor and determine how much logic is contained in each of them. Like, look at the list of courses/lectures. Maybe there's like a few courses on Logic and the rest is other stuff. Then maybe do the same for maths.

If you really only want to become good in Logical Thinking (and don't care about the rest of philo/maths, or the degree, job options and such), I'd advise you to get textbooks (bookzz.org, gen.lib.rus.ec), look for free online courses (https://www.edx.org/) and aquire that knowledge through self-teaching. Read the stuff, watch the videos, write your own summaries/interpretations, reread the stuff/summaries, do the exercises and think about it while you have a mentally trivial, but enjoyable day-to-day job (some low-skilled manual labor). Maybe try to find like-minded individuals to discuss this stuff with, like a book club or something. Seriously, if you're interested purely in knowledge, mental capacity, intellectual power and such things*, I do not recommend going to University. They are just gonna strip away your enthusiasm.

* vs going to Uni because
- that's what you're supposed to do at that age/everybody-else-does-it
- you feel like with the education you have accuired this far, you have to do it (this may be sunk-cost fallacy)
- you want to secure yourself a type of job that requires a degree, or because
- you enjoy the university experience (which is enriching).
>>
>>18063549
Nah, that was actualy my Bachelor's.
My true PHD lies with Liberal Arts :)
>>
File: 1486446538164.jpg (25KB, 474x473px) Image search: [Google]
1486446538164.jpg
25KB, 474x473px
>>18063570
>wants solid foundation in logic

what's logical about spending hundreds/thousands of dollars and hours of your time to get a useless sheet of paper (Philosophy degree) that will do nothing for you?

>muh minor in philosophy
also useless
>>
>>18064393
>Philosophy majors consistently score the highest on Graduate program entrance exams
>It's useless!
Brainlet detected. OP I'd major in math and minor in Philosophy. I'm a double major in CS & Philosophy and I'm enjoying it.
>>
File: 1477341876699.jpg (14KB, 306x295px) Image search: [Google]
1477341876699.jpg
14KB, 306x295px
>>18064398
>graduate programs

>correlation =/ causation

lmao my ass off
>>
>>18064393
>Whats the point in anything if it doesn't make money? Money is the only thing to gain.
>(smug about this statement)
Kill yourself
>>
>>18064419
>(smug about his statement)
>>
>>18063538
For the love of god please don't major in philosophy that's just shooting yourself in the foot. You actually have a future with math.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.