[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a 20 year old kid. I'm smart but it's nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: feels.png (8KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
8KB, 512x512px
I'm a 20 year old kid. I'm smart but it's nothing remarkable. I scored around a 1400 on my SATs which places me in the 98th percentile. I want nothing more than to be a simple math teacher, but it seems like everyone around me thinks I owe them or the world something because I just get stuff. My father is pressuring me to be something better to make more money, my teachers themselves are all pushing me to be something else. "You could be anything you want, you're smart, you're a genius."

I'm extremely mentally unstable, I cry sometimes out of nowhere and I have no idea why. I just want to be a goddamn teacher, I don't want to be this great thing everyone wants me to be.

How do I get them to realize this is all I want. I don't owe anyone anything because I can understand stuff easier. About the crying thing, should I see a therapist?
>>
just do whatever you want listening to what other people tell you is sure fire way to make yourself miserable
>>
It's not like math teachers tend to be idiots or unsuccessful so I'm not 100% sure why your family feels this way.
Are they paying for college? If they are, maybe you could take on some more challenging shit. You might like it. If you hate it or you fail, you can at least say you tried and you have teaching to fall back on.

And yeah a doctor might be able to help with your anxiety stuff.
>>
I think you fail to realize how shitty being a teacher is. Those good memories you had with your teacher in a rich, white school is not what you're going to get for 5 years or so. Only terrible inner city schools accept teachers with no experience. It weeds out those with a "good heart" quickly. And they make shit pay, poverty tier, and have to deal with moron parents every day. It's not a good career for shy or mentally unstable people.

Anon, I think you should pursue teaching but at a higher level, like being a college professor. Being a regular teacher really is a waste, and you can get those teaching feelings through volunteering for organizations.
>>
>>18061287
I get where you're coming from. I know they get shit pay, I know they get treated like shit, but the only people I feel that have made a positive impact on my life are teachers. Even if I can help one kid, it would make me so happy. I couldn't give a shit about making 6 figure, I just want to be happy.
>>
>>18061282
It's a 50/50 deal, I come from a single parent home that makes roughly 200k a year, but my father's always been adamant about me paying for my own stuff, I pay my car insurance, phone bills, internet bills ect. The only think I can think of that I don't pay for is rent.
>>
>>18061313
It sounds like you're depressed and reaching for things in your past to try and make you happy. Not to dismiss your want to be a teacher, but I know that feeling, and it's common when you feel like shit. That feeling of fulfilling other people can be found in much better situations... there are thousands of organizations to volunteer with kids out there. Like Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America.

Teaching is a job anyone can get with a college degree, honestly. So you can pursue higher classes that your parents want (and would give you a better future) while always having teaching to fall back on.

I think you should go to therapy, take those higher level classes, just like >>18061282 said. Don't think "I'm abandoning my teacher dream" think "I'm trying other things, and if I don't like them, I can always be a teacher".
>>
>>18061338
If it is depression driven thoughts I'm having about being a teacher, it's been long-going. I've been wanting to be a teacher since I was in late elementary school, early junior high. Though now that you mention it, the urge has been stronger as of late, as before it was just a thought. It's an interesting concept that I'll surely bring up with the therapist if I go see one. My life hasn't been the worst, but I've had my fair share of traumatic situations.

Regardless, I'll keep in mind what you said and consider taking more advanced classes, with teaching still in mind. I just need to feel like I'm doing it for me, not for anyone else.
>>
>>18061365
I understand, it's important to feel like you control your future, not anyone else, to remain hopeful.

Best of luck anon
>>
>>18061269
>I'm extremely mentally unstable

don't become a teacher for anything other than college level mathematics then.
>>
>>18061269
One of my best friends is like this. The only thing I can tell you is you're basically sitting on a winning lottery ticket. You just need to cash it in, and if you don't well fuck; I'd kill to be in your shoes. Do something that makes you happy, but don't settle and don't stop a hefty pursuit.
>>
>>18061269
If you are emotionally unstable you are not fit to be a teacher
>>
>>18061269

I can totally identify with you OP. Got 1440 in my SAT, studied chemistry at a top university, graduated as the first of my class. I'm finishing my PhD right now. I never really wanted to study that, I just gave in to pressure. I have also been depressed most of my life. Right now I'm thinking of becoming a zen monk after defending my thesis. It's going to be an unexpected plot twist for everybody.
>>
Your father only wants what's best for you , in his mind you can do anything so he wants you to set your sights higher than a math teacher but if that's what you want than do it and by no means does that mean you won't be a successful person .
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.